• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mayhew Lake

Riceisnice

Any advice for a first time fisherman of Mayhew Lake? I'd like to catch crappies and a northern or two, but would take sunnies and walleye too (who wouldn't?)

Thanks!

Jesse

Was out there last night with my dad and we managed to pull out several small crappies and a couple for the frying pan. Go in the general area of other towns and then search for fish and you should do ok.

This is always a fun lake to fish. It is nice to have a lake with decent sized pike only a short drive from st. cloud. I have fished it a couple of times this year and have had similar success as flowagetamer. I have even caught a few 4-5 lbs. fish this year. If fishing northern, I would suggest fishing shallower. The crappies are generally found out a little further from shore. I have had the best success with smaller minnows for pike.

Was out this morning just fishing tip ups quick. No action other than one missed flag. There was a sheriff checking on things though with the stealing going on.

What general areas are good to target for a new person to the lake, fish deep or are there weed beds out there?

Guest Anonymous

You really have to sort the crappies out there but not the case if you find the sunnies. I have been out to the lake a number of times and have always been able to find fish. You need to hop holes and stay away from the crowds.

I really don't know this lake that well. Most people you see are fishing the breaklines. There is some structure 2/3rds of the way down the lake from the access.

Hey can anyone post on here now? I see the anonymous unregistered post above.

Was out there today, was hoping for some pike but no luck, lots and lots of little perch and thats all. Talked to one guy said that real nice sunnies were biting the other day but no luck today.

Quote:
Talked to one guy said that real nice sunnies were biting the other day but no luck today.

What does this guy consider a "real nice" sunfish? 1/2 to 3/4 lbs (8-9")? Those are prefect eating size, or are they the size of Julia where its 5 to a pound or on a good day 3 to a pound?

I just got back from mayhew. You have to sort through the crappies but the sunnies not so much. I did have three of them between 8 and 9 inches. The rest were three to a pound or better. It seems like you can only catch a couple of them in a hole and then you need to move on. Hope this helps.

The majority of permanent houses have moved to the northwest quarter of the lake. I fished both Saturday and Sunday and found the bite to be extremely light with more crappies than sunfish; caught very few after dark.

I went out to mayhew yesterday. I mostly caught perch and some small crappies. The sunnies in the lake run on the big side but there aren't to many. If anyone wants to go out to mayhew I would suggest to just go by where the other houses are until you get used to the lake. People are driving out on the lake with full sized trucks. Watch out if you do drive out though because there are a couple springs on the opposite shoreline from the access.

I'm going back out to Mayhew Wednesday morning. I will probably set up a tip-up for northerns. I was thinking that anywhere along the shoreline would be good -- how deep and how far out from shore do you think I need to go. I'll likely go along the shore to the left of the access and I was thinking that about 20 yards out from shore it is about 10-14 feet deep based on looking at the DNR map. Suggestions anyone?

Just returned from Mayhew; only a few people out this evening. Pan fish were hard to entice with a waxworm and nearly impossible with plastics. The fish showed no preference to a verticle or horizontal presentation. The bite on this lake is slowing markedly.

I just got off mayhew lake and dang was it cold. It was so cold my heater wouldn't light up (propane wouldn't flow) so after about 1.5 hours I called it quits. I was getting there when most were leaving, so I wasn't expecting much. I've got to get out earlier next time and fire up the heater before I leave. Lessons learned.

I just drove by Mayhew Lake and saw a large cardboard sign on the power pole that read: "Warning, this lake has a Thief on it, you guys are going to get caught". Does anybody know what the story is???

my guess is that a guy either had his fish house jacked, the stuff inside his fish house jacked, or if he left his truck at the access, had stuff from his truck jacked.

This sign could probably be photocopied and put at just about every landing in the state since this is nothing new. Sucks for that guy--I fish from a portable so can't really relate but am hoping to get a permanent house for next year.

A couple of houses had been broken into a couple of weeks ago and had some items removed. Same thing on Little Rock Lake within the same time period. One house on Little Rock had the 100lb. propane tank taken also. If you see anything suspicious get a license plate number or any description and call the sheriff's office or DNR. Anything helps even if its nothing.

A late afternoon trip to Mayhew Lake amid a sharp windchill now seems worthwile as I have finished cleaning a meal of panfish. Red spikes on a Marmooska was the most productive combination. I measured the ice to be 20 inches thick and was set up over 18 feet of water. The water is very clear, but bottom stucture is sparse.

I had the chance to talk to someone on the lake who said that a 100# tank and a vex were stolen from a house out there. I don't know why anyone would leave their vex in their house??

graingrower, have you been finding more sunnies lately or still mostly crappies?? My last three trips have been more of the suns, and I continue to be pleased with the size of these fish.

Oh ya? What is the keeping size there your usual central minnesota 4 or 5 to a pound or 1/2 to 3/4 pound?

Went to Mayhew again this evening; caught an equal proportion of sunnies, crappies, and (admittedly) small perch. Sunfish in the half pound category run about one out of two; crappies on the other hand approximately one in three. I did manage an eleven inch crappie Tuesday night. Fredd, should you ever want a fishing partner send an E-mail.

Went to Mayhew again this evening; caught an equal proportion of sunnies, crappies, and (admittedly) small perch. Sunfish in the half pound category run about one out of two; crappies on the other hand approximately one in three. I did manage an eleven inch crappie Tuesday night. Fredd, should you ever want a fishing partner send an E-mail.

Bluegill 1510, I don't keep anything less than three to a pound and roughly one third of them run 8 inches or better. Last Sunday I had some of my nicest ones yet! I kept 10 suns and 8 craps in about two hours on the lake. If you can find the sunnies, you won't be disappointed with the average size.

cool didn't know that little farm pond held sunfish that size. Keep up the good fishng Fredd

Are these fish biting all day or is it a sun up sun down type of deal. Just wondering if everybody is driving on.

Thanks

The ice is plenty thick in all the places that i checked. people were driving all over out there.