• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rod Building

squeedunk

Question

I am interested in getting in to rod building on my own and am wondering what I need to get started? How much does it cost to get everything I need and where can I go to get it?

Thanks~Dan

3 answers to this question

Getting started - Take a class from local rodbuilders (I know Westonka Community Education and Hastings Community Education are both offering classes this spring) or some of the local tackle shops offer classes, read a book on it, watch videos of the processes to get started, and visit the rodbuilding forums (there is a tremendous amount of information dispensed on them).

Getting supplies is the easy part - just use any search engine for rodbuilding or rodbuilding supplies and several companies will have websites you can spend hours on and lots of money. You can spend anywhere from $30 to hundreds of dollars. It just depends on what you want.

I have been building a couple of years now and I really enjoy what I get out of it. There is a lot of satisfaction of making a rod and catching a fish with what you put together.

Good Luck

Mike Wallace

I would start out small. You can use books for tension on the thread and you can use a cardboard box with v slots cut in it for a stand. For supplies try mudhole.com they are one of the bigger suppliers. There are more but I think mudhole would be a good place to start.