• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1/7/08 Report

hondavxr

Since it looks like my previous report was erased I will repost it up again. I went to Bayport on Monday. I took the long trek across the river to the WI shanty town. I fished in the same area as the shanty town, but away from them. I was fishing in 38ft of water. I marked fish the whole time and caught quite a few also. I used plastics and artificial like crazy, but the fish will only bite live bait. I was using plain hook with minnow and sinker on one pole, and jigging demon eye with a whole minnow on the other. I caught a bunch of little crappies. All the little crappies were caught about 1-3 foot of the bottom. I caught 5 nice slabs ranging from 10-14 inches. These slabs were suspended higher in the water, they were all caught from 30-28 ft of water. the slabs were real finicky, a minnow could be in front of them and they would not bite it. I had to jig it and lift it up about a foot and they would follow it and lightly swallow the bait. If you miss the light bite and didnt set the hook they were gone. Here is a picture of one of the slabs I caught. Good luck yalls and stay safe.

slabbb9.th.jpg

I've always waned to try the river for crappies. I am busy the next 2 weekends... Oh well, maybe the weekend of the 26th.

Nice crappie Honda, and thanks for the report. It sure can make a difference in the bite when you can get out during the week when there is less traffic.

I have a shack i keep out on the river and i only use whole minnows. I keep about 10 to 20 a day and throw ALOT back. I use the bigger crappie minnows cause when i use the smaller ones all i catch are the small throw backs.

BFD, how many days a week you fishing?? I'm praying it's only a couple for them fishes sake... Sounds like you have them dialed in under your shack pretty well. LB

Hey Honda or anyone who is interested to fish, email me if you like to get together out on the croix sometime. I a new to the croix at least for the ice part of fishing and could use a hand to learn how to fish the river during winter. [email protected]