• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone fished this pit? I am planning a trip up there in the near future and would like to catch some lakers. Where are the accesses, what lures and bait seem to work, and what depths are people usually catching them at? Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

I'd recommend being careful on that one ... a couple went through the ice in mid winter last year. I've broken through right at the access myself ... fortunately I had enough speed to keep me going onto land. Scared the *#&^% out of me, though. The main access is off the coleraine cut-off ... it's well marked. I latched into three - all which broke me off - right below the ice. Fish the entire column of water. No place in particular ... however I'd stick with the main body of water. We have lots of slush on the lakes this year ... I don't know about the pit, but it probably does also.

Anyone know the ice conditions on the pit near the coleraine access? I don't plan on wandering too far from that area. Would like to head up there towards the end of the month.

Fat Mike- If I had to guess I would say about 10 in. of ice, and in the middle there could be 1". This is a mine pit though so there could be as little as 2 in. in spots. The couple didn't go through the ice, they drove over open water at nite. I've fished it quite a few times. The last couple years haven't been too good. Lots of hours between fish, maybe days. I'm sure it has it's days though. The last couple of times I was out there I caught a couple of 12"ers(airplane jigs). You had better bring a few good books though, but thats laker fishing. Pay attention to the ice. Good Luck.

Was out there on firday going after northerns and there was about six to seven inches of ice. We did see one snowmobile track but you wouldnt find me out there on a sled!! Be careful!!

• 3 weeks later...

heard of a few lakers being caught but don't know for sure cause i heard it 2nd or3rd hand. Fished it a few times last year but could have went crappie fishin instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out there a couple times with my buddy and his friends. We have caught a couple lakers but they have been far and few between. The fish have been small 1-2 pounds with one 3 pounder caught. These fish have been natural spawned fish (no clipped fin) which is an interesting new thing. I fish this lake on and off since my bro lives just down road 325 from the pit. Its a tough pit and has changed alot over the years. Where points and islands once where are now just flooded and have disappeared. There has been a few other anglers out and everyone I have talked to on the ice have been slow. Anyone else with reports or information about canisteo?

I heard that they stopped clipping the fins on the trout, but the source wasn't a very reliable one. And do you know if they do clip the fin still, do they also do it on lakes too??

Guest Anonymous

Fished it this past weekend (Sat) and never saw any activity on the flasher. A few others were fishing near each access, but it looked like pretty light fishing pressure. The ice seemed in good shape for travel with a few drifts along the shore.

Tried the pit the other day- 3 of us-no fish caught but had 5 on the electronics but they didn't follow much, pretty much stayed in about the same 10' column.

As far as I know they still clip fins. This allows for ID of which year a fish was stocked. The DNR used to clip different fins different years. In the past I had heard of reports of natural spawning occuring on a hump out there.

Here is a two pounder eater that I caught on the pit. All the fins are still on and even the adipose is still there. Had to use the Black and White because of bloody trout.

P2011333-1.jpg

Fish it while you can, Mayor of bovey is trying to plan what to do about the constant rising water level. My grandpa measured the water level to be about 20 feet from the top of the pit last summer, and rechecked in the fall, and it had risen 1.5 feet. Hope they figure out something soon.

Cribbage-know what you mean, hadn't been out there for a couple years, and was wonderin where the island went i used to fish by,it was gone, only a few tree tops stickin out of the water. After checkin dephts by the tops, it was 13 ft.deep . the water must be comin up pretty fast cause that is a pretty big area.

The water is comming up but has begin to show signs of slowing. The bank between bovey and the pit is large. The extra water is projeted to be siphon into trout lake. My father and his brothers who own Fideldy Bros Well Drilling went around putting monitor wells in for the state. Sure were some intersting finds. If you go into bovey you can actually walk to the lowest point in the bank below the train track bridge. I was standing on the bank this summer. The water level was 15-20 feet below me and the bank went up behind me. When the water level becomes stabable the fish spawning success should increase. The island is no longer an island. Will have to be careful on the lake during the summer. Hitting rocks or a tree while flying across the lake in a boat would not be fun.

Thats where we measured it at last fall, right under the train tracks. Small world. My grandparents lives just up highway 10, so he goes into Bovey and checks it out on occasion. And my dad's cousin Ed Mcmullin is the mayor of bovey. Seems like the canisteo pit was all we talked about last Christmas. grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Just heard that the water diversion project has changed. New plans for the water to be removed from the south end of buckeye pit and placed into the praire river. This will prevent smelt spreading into trout lake and cheaper since a siphon/filter system will not have to be monitored.

Hey Troy,

Any relation to Bill Fideldy. Just curious.

Do you mean Uncle Bill? Yes he is my uncle. I am Ralph's son. May I ask how do you know Bill?

Well my grandpa is Maurice Talonen. He tells stories about Bill on occasion. So is your dad a Ralph Jr? I could have sworn Bill's dad (your grandpa) was a Ralph as well. I dont know if you know the three Talonen boys. My uncles Ken, and Jim (43 and 45 years old). And my dad Rick (47). He grew up right by Come-on-in beach. My grandparents still live there. Small world I guess. grin.gif