• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is there any action still on the pond? I am taking my 8 year old son out this afternoon and after last weekend at baypoint, lake bilsby and pottery pond I am hoping to catch something just so he does not loose interest in the sport. Any help would be appreciated on where to go on Frontnac Pond or what to use..

I've caught northerns there this season on both sucker minnows and on a crappie minnow on a frostee jig. From what I've seen overall though, the tip-ups and sucker minnows/shiners have been slow there this year. In fishing, that type of thing can change on a moments notice though.

I also had good action on crappies there one day, again on the crappie minnow on the frostee jig. I always keep one rod down with waxies or spikes on a genz bug or diamond jig or other small jig. The gills will seem to hit periodically through the day.

I haven't fished there in a couple weeks now, and I did get skunked one day there, though there were fish seen on the flasher, they weren't biting. Fish one day, caught 13 fish, 3 days later got skunked on the same spot. Ya just never know. The day I got skunked, two other guys fishing 50 yards away caught two northerns on crappie minnows. Right place, right time!

My favorite spot this year has been about 60-70 yards off the north shore, almost straight out from where the snowmobile trail comes down the bank and meets the water, a little farther off shore than the permanent shacks in that area.

Make sure your son knows that that's the way it goes with hunting and fishing. It can be either boom or bust or anything in between, and it just depends on being in the right spot at the right time. The more time you spend in the field, the better your chances are of scoring, and you're not going to catch anything sitting on the couch or staring at a video game! wink.gif

Good Luck!