• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Driving Report

Any new reports about vehical traffic on Minnetonka. Specifically around Old Channel Bay or The main lake between Shorewood and Big island? Just wondering what the status is before this sloppy warm weekend hits. It should be a good weekend for fishin if it isent to wet but we could live with out the all the water and refreezing slop.

if you get on the lake in echo bay behind the marina there is a plowed road out the big island saw cars, trucks, trucks with plows pulling shacks, heading out to the bay on the west side of the island. been fishing the northers at echo bay pretty good bite but all small ones. want to try other parts of the bay?

Are people driving onto Black Lake too in full size trucks...off the road there?

I've seen trucks parked on the ice on Black Lake.

I've parked on the ice for the past 3 weeks on Wayzata and the west side. I'm still leary about driving and I have a midsize truck. My buddy has a wheeler though.

I had between 7 and 11 inches of ice in the main lake around Big Island 3 days ago. A little early for driving still where I was. The bays had cars on them though today when I drove around the lake.

Probably going to tonka on friday...first time there on the ice. Planning on going out from carson bay landing heading to the east end of big island. Any travel issues in this area? I'm assuming i'll be ok with an atv? If someone has a better way to get out to this area that would be appreciated as well.

Chuckwagon, you say that you drive on to Echo Bay, I cannot find that bay onn the map that I am looking at. Where is Echo bay and the access?

it is on the south side of big island in the city of tonka bay or put your finger on excelsior and go strait west and you will hit it

next one over from gideons

Last Sat/Sun full size trucks were every where. We still took the wheeler out but followed a path of a truck. I'm still too scared, but my buddy drove out on Monday alone in a ZR2 S10 pickup. Out by Gideon point we marked 8" but close to that was 13" So I dunno. Be carefull

I was out there in my Tundra on Saturday. I drove out from Echo bay around Sunrise Point and into Gideon's bay. I wouldn't be too worried with an ATV. There was a lot of truck driving all over the lake on Sat.

I have a truck but being that the ice is iffy, would a minivan have problems on the ice with the snow? Thanks for the info.

Question...I have been fishing Crystal Park Bay area and want to mix it up....if I wanted to get access to Wayzata Bay....where do I need to go??? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would be coming from 101 heading south. Thanks!

Coach - not saying the ice is safe, but not much snow on the ice so travel even in a car should be fine.

tip_upclyma - there are 2 places to access Wayzata, but the main one is the beach.

394 W to 101 S to Wayzata Blvd to Superior Blvd (makes a Y, you'll see) go down the hill and take right. 2nd stop sign take left into the Tonka Boatworks parking lot (Dark brown brick building with I think a fancy pants restaurant). Go past the building and to the left is the beach. You'll see the sand and snow tracks.

394 W to 101 S to Wayzata Blvd to Superior Blvd (makes a Y, you'll see) go down the hill and left. Road makes a hard right then left. Make the hard right and in in front of you is a lil boat ramp that's for the marina, but people use that.

good luck - I'll be out there too. All I can say is weedline into the night

Still haven't ventured to drive out on Tonka this year and would like to drive out from the Wayzata yacht club area and explore the structure in WB. Any thoughts about driving on Tonka ice would be appreciated...mid-sized SUV.

Calv,

I'm far sourth of WB near Excelsior Bay, we've been finding 13-15" of really solid ice everywhere. I have seen plenty of 3/4 ton trucks out there. This cold snap will make things even better. Personally, I think if you put in Wayzata and stay in the bay, you should be fine.

Just drive slowly and don't head to the Gray's Bay channel or other channel areas!!

Thanks SWMuskeye, You can't be too careful on the ice. Just be ready to bail out and have a cell phone handy. A co-worker's husband died on Leech lake last saturday night. I think he was driving on a channel by Walker, which is a no-no. Being that he left Walker @ 1am, he may have been drinking too, but that is an unqualified assumption. Left behind a wife and two small children. Really tragic!

Wow Casey,

I heard about that on the news yesterday. A husband of your coworker? Too tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family...

Black lake has about 13-14 inches of ice. Plenty safe to drive out. Been producing plenty of decent crappys.

Calv,

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss, be safe out there and good luck.

It's been a better than average year so far out there based on what others are saying and my own experiences.

Originally Posted By: shakojdub1425
Black lake has about 13-14 inches of ice. Plenty safe to drive out. Been producing plenty of decent crappys.

Famous last words of many who thought the ice was SAFE. Remember ice is never safe, especially on lakes like tonka. There are still areas on Tonka with 10" or less, and just because the guy in front of you made it does not mean you will. Be careful.

I found a story on KARE 11 about some kids that went through on Lake Minnetonka. I think they were under a bridge or something in Gray's Bay.

The channels are a no no unless you have a sled. Some channels especially the Grays/Wayzata channel has current. I didn't hear it on the news. Were they OK

News said they were ok, but the footage they showed didn't look the Gray's channel to me. Looked to be a longer, narrow channel...