• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone else have a problem like this with there pup

fishtrap3

I can throw dummies all day and he will bring them back no problem.. But as soon as we co out and shot a bird he will get it and take off running in the other direction.. No matter what I do he wont come to me... I know I need to put him on a long rope but just wondering if anyone else has this kind of issue with there pup????

Each situation is different but, it sounds like you need to work on the here or come commands. Work on these commands not only in your yard but, take the pup out to the field and work on it there. That way he will associate that he needs to obey this command no matter where he is.

Thats my $0.02 for what its worth.

fishtrap,

i have been dealing with the exact same thing. my yellow lab is 15 months old now and does very well with the "here" command and bringing back his training dummies. BUT...he did the same thing you're describing all year this year pheasant hunting. 30 days in the field with him this 1st season, nearly ALL of which were dragging around his 20' check cord. his very first retrieve early in the season went great until he apparently got a taste of feathers (and liked it)...ran right past me and the ever-popular game of keep away began. that was the last time he hunted this year check cord-free.

i agree that this 'off season' will probably entail driving the "here" command into his head as apparently, "Tucker here" isn't 100% on MY terms. i suspect that more exposure to feathers / birds in training scenarios will be needed as well (actual birds, wings attached to a dummy, etc.).

but yeah, you sure aren't the only one seeing that...

Please do not take this the wrong way.

This type of situation is a constant on this forum. I would suggest going back and review some of the earlier pages on force fetching.

There are some on this forum who are dead set against it and that is fine, to each there own.

They however would be in the minority when it comes to FF.

Once the FF is done there is a HUGE difference in most dogs when it comes to the end result and that is the retrieve.

It is not my intent to start beating the dead horse again, so please lets not get back into another FF pro's & con's tit for tat thread.

To those who have the question, please review, go back the few pages and I think you will find the answers you are looking for.

GOOD LUCK

A buddies dog was doing the same thing so everytime she retrieved a bird, we sprinted in the opposite direction. Pretty soon the dog would try to find us and always brought the bird with her. We would throw a small party for her and give her treats. By the end of the season... no problems.

Hopefully you save a carcass of one of your cleaned birds. They work great for training in the offseason, especially with this issue.

good addition gonefishin... i did that a few times this year and it did seem to work like you described. you feel pretty stupid doing that out in the field, especially on public land, so i guess i'm happy to hear i wasn't the only one looking like i was being chased by my dog smile.gif

i have kept a few wings from the year and also one carcass. using them for training is definitely the plan.

i agree with the previous poster that this should not turn into an FF discussion for the millionth time. but, it seems like a pretty good oportunity to hear ideas OTHER THAN FF on some training/field issues.

Quote:

i suspect that more exposure to feathers / birds in training scenarios will be needed as well (actual birds, wings attached to a dummy, etc.).

I think you hit the nail on the head, more bird training!!! Wings on dummies, dead pigeons, live pigeons (or a duck, pheasant) etc. Some people luck out and can just take a dog out hunting and they'll quarter naturally, will stay in range, and retrieve to hand but thats the exception. I prefer to expose a puppy to situations that they'll see while out hunting.

A prime example is duck hunting. You don't want them bringing back decoys or worse yet freaking out when decoy string get wrapped around their legs, so you set some decoys out on the lawn and throw dummies amoung them. Then the next step is setting some decoys into water BEFORE the season and practicing/training with the dog swimming thru the decoys. If you're going to be riding in a boat to set decoys then young Mallard Muncher should be getting a few boat rides BEFORE opening morning.

The point is to expose and train your young dog before the season starts so they know whats expected of them. If they've never handled a real bird, either dead or alive, before the season who knows what they'll do? They could bring it back to you - or they could run the other way, as you found out. Training time in the off season pays off during the season.

Thanks guys... He hasnt been out in the field yet just a pup.. I live out in the country and just go out and scare out a couple pigeons and shoot them for him.. When he gets them feathers in his mouth he is a total differant pup..

I also had the same exact problem. He would give a bumper up all day long, but a bird was different and he thought it was "HIS". He needed to know that he could have the bird but only when I told him he could. Just like everything else He needed to know that I was boss. Everything is mine and he just needed to learn that. If you choose the FF training this can be done very easy with the walking fetch drill and a shock collar (after being collar conditioned). I also would suggest working on his finishing a retrieve so he comes to heel just out of routine. I liked using a 25ft retractable lead. Throw something, send him and make him return to heel. Also, putting him at sit while he is holding a bird and then you move back the 25ft give him his comand and put him in his heel position with the lead. Do not let him be slow or sloppy while doing it. Do it again and again and he will pick it up fast. Im sure others will have suggestions as well.

Good luck, LovenLifeGuy