• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

East Side Perch

JonnyD

I've heard a few people talk that some jumbo perch are being caught seen on the East side of the lake in 12-16 feet of water. Sounds like a lot of sniffers and not a lot of takers. Either way at least seeing some decent fish on the camera will be better than last week of seeing only small perch. I havn't fihsed much on the East side of the lake, and don't have an atv. Can some one point me into where to go to get into some of these fishing areas on the east side. Preferably not over a mile walk.

Thanks guys.

What you just posted is pretty much what we ran into on Sun.

I seriously saw some monster perch come up to bait and tug rod tip in holder and that was it.

I think the best situation to put your self in right now would be the AM time and opening of bays. Find rock points or bolber piles and find small bait fish schools. I would dead stick and jig a spoon with single hook and a small minnow or head. I would stay in 8-10 fow. At least you will see them down hole or on cam.

Good luck!!

Would you mind pointing me in a certain area or bay??? Or a place that I can walk out at. I have no idea where to even walk out at...Thanks

Hunters Point, Mcquoids, and some other resorts in that area would probably be your best bet on getting on some quality water with opportunity at some jumbos.

Jonny last year late in the season I had good luck at the public launch on the east side. If you dont mind walking about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile, try that area. I was fishing anywhere from 15-28 ft of water. If you have a gps with map software you will find a few deeper holes in that area.I had to weed through them, but I caught enough jumbos for the fryer.

On New Yrs eve afternoon, we had the best luck on jumbos in 25 ft with a Chubby Darter #3 and 1/16 oz jigs with heads (lite spring bobber bite) west of Doe Island out from Appledorns. Even got to drive out.

Quote:

Even got to drive out.

how thick was the ice then? 4 wheeler or vehicle?

we fished about the same area and found a bunch of perch but you had to sort through about 25 little ones to get a jumbo. We drove out of Appledorns the roads are plowed out past doe island so we went to the end and walked out. Paul told us where to fish and found them.

Quote:

And don't forget the getting stuck part?
grin.gif

You still remember that. grin.gif My gf and friends never stop reminding me about that, when I talk about the big pond. I remember I almost had to pull the tow truck out of the access, after he towed me off the lake. He only had a 1 ton 2wd truck. Stay safe yalls and good luck.

Any reports in the last few days out of Appeldoorns? Looking mostly for ice conditions and how much of the Doe Is. reef area is safe to drive on with a 1/2 ton. There are fish all over the reef. Just got to Find em'. Hoping to do some of that. Is paul around here? He may be at the sportsmans show for this weekend.

We have been far too busy to allow me to get down to the Sports Show.

We have roads covering all of Doe Island Reef. Pull off the road, walk 100 feet and set up. We are not recommending ANY driving off of the roads. The roads are in great shape and we have instituted a 10 MPH speed limit to keep them that way.

We have found 11-14 inches of ice off of the road.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the work you do to keep those roads going. Hope to see you on Saturday morning.