• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikings QB Situation

maros91

What do the Vikes do in the offseason at QB. Keep riding it out with Tavaris, draft a QB, or sign a QB through free agency. You will have to give up alot to get McNabb, Derek Anderson will cost a 1st and a 3rd because he is a RFA. I keep hearing Chad Pennington's name. What should the Vikes do, go with TJack or someone else and who?

Im thinking that you give him one more year and see what happens. Get one or two more recievers and a de. Better play calling and i think we got a good shot at the playoffs

When the rumors/talk about McNabb first started, I thought it would be a really bad move on the Vikings part, but after watching our QB play this season, especially the last 3 games, I say go for it. While Jackson might be the QB of the future, give him a veteran QB that can teach him something. He hasn't had that yet and could probably use it. McNabb has been around long enought to get the ball downfield when the other team stacks 8 or 9 guys into the box. Then the Vikings could possibly be a real threat to other teams. I say they go for it and pick him up!!

I would imagine after the season that Derek Anderson just had, the Browns are going to try hard to keep him right where he is and if not, like you said, it is going to cost a big chunk of change. Probably more than it would cost to get McNabb. Plus a think McNabb is an URFA, correct me if I am wrong.

Pennington would be the dumbest move that the Vikings could make. He was benched on a team that went 5-11 or something like that? Stay as far away from him as possible. But with the logic of our front office, he will probably be the one they go after!!

Just my feelings, but go out and get McNabb, hire an Offensive Coordinater that knows what the heck he is doing, and the Vikings could be dangerous next season! blush.gif

I say look for a better back up, have Jackson practice big time this off season. Let him compete for a starting position in the preseason, instead of just giving the starting position to him! He practiced hard last off season, which shows he want to be better. I think he deserves another chance.

Mostly because there isnt much out there to get without giving the farm away to get it.

I am not sure who is calling the plays- I don't think Chili can let go of his system. if a new offensive coordinator is needed --get Billick. the whole operation seems to be run so tight creativity is not valued. Tavaris will get another year- I don't have a clear sense Ziggy want's to hit the top of the cap on overpriced free agents and heck if the quarterback can't find the ends even R Moss would return to mediocrity. We can hit the playoffs next year- so that's good enough

QBs are in short supply this year so keep with TJ and get a new coach. It is clear that something is wrong in play calling, adjustments, and preparation that allows teams to stiffle any dvantage we have and no one can adjust to it during the game or een prior to the game. A good game plan can raise a lot of players to a higher level. Look how many QBs out there have good seasons after lanquishing with bad coaching for years.

I say we just send TJack to Nike Vision Camp in the offseason. That should help him enough to keep him around.

I thought Bevell was doing more of the play calling this year. I hear Paul Allen refer to Bevell on his play calling schemes. Wonder if Chilly has been overriding him more of late.

There is no doubt that TJ needs more off-season work...I personally don't think he is ready for a starting job yet...given a couple of years behind a veteran QB with some ability to teach would be a good asset, even if it is for only a couple of years.

I do think Jackson is going to do well in a few years...he's a run threat, but needs time to learn how to read defensive schemes and gain that 6th sense of what is coming, then audible out. Many times, this creates a shift in offensive set-up (those of you who would like to see more spread offense, this is where it most likely would happen)

Right now, I also agree there is not much to choose from out there for QB...getting a solid one will cost $$ and potentially some draft picks too, but it can be done.

Steve

Cleveland just signed their 3rd string QB to a 2yr extension. That either tells me they are trading Brady Quinn whom they traded up for in the 1st round to get or they are trading Derek Anderson. I wouldn't mind the Vikes signing a guy like Kerry Collins for a year and letting T Jack learn. T Jack shows signs of promise then he just does something off the wall that makes you throw something at the TV.

I was never a big fan of T-Jack. However, he did start to show some signs of promise. On the other side of the coin, he made some really bad mistakes.

He needs to go see an eye doctor.

The mistakes he's made can be coached out of him. The coaching, however, needs to get better. With good coaching T-Jack has the ability to be pretty darn good.

Quote:

Cleveland just signed their 3rd string QB to a 2yr extension. That either tells me they are trading Brady Quinn whom they traded up for in the 1st round to get or they are trading Derek Anderson. I wouldn't mind the Vikes signing a guy like Kerry Collins for a year and letting T Jack learn. T Jack shows signs of promise then he just does something off the wall that makes you throw something at the TV.

The Browns head coach announce today they are entertaining offers for DereK Anderson. The fans are chomping at the bit to see Quinn in action.

T Jack is going to be just fine. He's going to struggle again next year at times but he's made some huge strides in learning how to play the NFL game. I personally believe he's better than what we've had a chance to see---I think Childress has intentionally run Viking's Offense 101 for him most of the year to ease him in. He's got a rocket for an arm and late this season we found out he can run (pretty good too) when he wants. Next year Childress must let him loose and see what this guy really has. All qb's go thru at least 1-3 years of struggling before they actually get the hang of the speed, schemes, and playbook of the NFL. Getting a "veteran" to come in for a few years to take his reps away will do nothing but set the Vikes back just that much further. I also hope they do not trade any of their draft picks for some guy they think will be better. They need these picks for an upgrade in the WR's and DE's. I do hope however, that they end up drafting a decent QB with one of their 2 3rd round picks this year. Also, the Vikes do need to bring in a better back-up for T Jack. Both of their back-ups need to pack their bags--they give us no chance to win if they are called on. It will be an interesting year this off-season as the Vikes do have lot's of money to spend and some key spots to fill.

I am not a huge T-Jack fan and he should not be a starter yet....

But....

He does work very hard and is improving. I say he deserved and other shot...but we will be 8-8 again next year (if we are lucky).

Quote:

T Jack is going to be just fine. He's going to struggle again next year at times but he's made some huge strides in learning how to play the NFL game. I personally believe he's better than what we've had a chance to see---I think Childress has intentionally run Viking's Offense 101 for him most of the year to ease him in. He's got a rocket for an arm and late this season we found out he can run (pretty good too) when he wants. Next year Childress must let him loose and see what this guy really has. All qb's go thru at least 1-3 years of struggling before they actually get the hang of the speed, schemes, and playbook of the NFL. Getting a "veteran" to come in for a few years to take his reps away will do nothing but set the Vikes back just that much further. I also hope they do not trade any of their draft picks for some guy they think will be better. They need these picks for an upgrade in the WR's and DE's. I do hope however, that they end up drafting a decent QB with one of their 2 3rd round picks this year. Also, the Vikes do need to bring in a better back-up for T Jack. Both of their back-ups need to pack their bags--they give us no chance to win if they are called on. It will be an interesting year this off-season as the Vikes do have lot's of money to spend and some key spots to fill.

We need the picks to upgrade our corners and get another safety. They have 20 million in cap room so go out and get a great reciever. Keep developing Jackson. He will come around, I mean really, we as viks fans have another 8-8 season left in us grin.gif Let Jackson work out his kinks!!!