• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake / Chisago area

I have not been to green in years, how is the crappie slot working out. I was thinking of heading there 2day or 2morow. Any ifo would be appreciated. I will be taking my snowcat and pull my otter out. May bring my boy out if there is a decent bite! Thanks

All the small sunnies you could ever want, and the occasional nice crappie.

Never fished this lake before last year though so I couldn't tell ya if the slot has affected the crappie size in any way.

A lot of crappies under 9 inches, but like mentioned, if you stick it out you'll see a few over 9 with some reaching 11 inches... make sure you upsize your presentation though, it will help you weed out the smaller fish and hone in on the larger ones. Stick with artificials too, it will make a difference... and fish the upper water column, the larger fish (and the crappies in general) are using that area more...

Thanks for the info, think I will start the new year right by catchin some sunny's! shallows are the ticket i assume. Maybe set up deeper at dusk. Silver snowcat with green otter if you see me drop in and say Hi!!

I will second what Matt J has said. The crappie bite has been good this year but the number of keepers is about 1:10.

Just got back from there. Lots of small crappies and sunnies. No keepers for us. My kid had lots of fun catching them though grin.gif.

Lots of people fish for walleye on this lake, I tried it last year but all I could manage was under the slot. frown.gif

Went out to green today 1/4/08. It was about 50/50 people walking out and people driving. I drove out and parked on the shoreline because the public access off of 24 was packed. Only caught 2 fish in 3 hours 1 nice bass 1 nice sunfish. Took pictures and released. I had my Aqua Vu and vexilar with. The fish just sat their and looked. I changed my presentation, Im not sure what happened. everyone else around me had the same problem. I was out at 3pm for the night bite.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of guys get walleyes off Lindbergs Point, but its not a secret spot. I've done best looking for walleyes off the first break (being that the lake really only has one ;\) ). Fish seem to relate to the 12-18 foot mark fairly well. Smaller Lindy Flyer jigs tipped with a twister tail works well, or else a Do-Jigger and a minnow head...

Was out the 16th and can say it was quite a success!!!! Decided to fish 22-24' of water and found a mixture of fish. Fished the late afternoon bite and landed 3 eyes and a handfull of crappie and sunfish. Very fun day for my father and I.

Walleyes came from 24'. An aggressive jigged jig spoon w/ minnow head seemed to work best.

Crappies were very agressive from 4-5pm and seemed to slow down a bit after that. Plenty of small sunfish if you downsized your presentation as well \:\)

Rich at Mikes bait has his shack on Green and showed me the picture of an 8+ walleye he caught off Green at 7 this morning. Nice fat healthy looking fish. He said the crappies have slowed down but are still catchable.

Tunrevir~

Went out last night with my buddy. Didn't get to set up till nightfall unfortunately, my reasoning for not getting an eyes. we set up at 12.5" FOW away from the group set up on little green. Pulled some up off the bottom but no takers.. was using buckshot glow with minnow head, gemNeye with fatheads, and threw the chubby darter down there a bit too. missed the bite apparently. My buddy set into a heavy fish later in the night to have is line snap a second later, maybe better luck next time when we get set up before prime time.

I was fishing Green from 3:30 until 8PM on Sunday. I was getting a lot of 8 3/4" crappies with a few small gills mixed in. I got the call from the wife to come home so I said OK since I was only getting small crappies at the time. On my next three drops I got three 12" crappies in a row. This was one of the few nights fishing this lake that I got more than a couple of crappies over 9". It sure is easier to get keeper sized crappies off this lake in the spring and summer. No walleyes on the tip-up I had out.

Going to head out to green this weekend and was wondering if anybody has been out this week.. I'm sure its been slow, but this cold snap is finally going to settle in the next couplde days and warm up a bit, should drop and steady the barometer as well, hoping this turns out to be some good fishin'

Was out on Saturday, did real well. I got 37 crappies from 8pm - 12pm, most were caught between 8-9:30. Got 4 keepers, 3 right at 9" and one 11". Also got a few little sunnies. Was on the southwest side of the lake in 6 fow. All caught on demons with waxies, wouldn't hit if the jig didn't have a good glow on it. Oh, and I bet we were with about 200 other people out there. Man what a zoo!

Was out the other Night until 1 am. Bite just kept getting better and better as the night went on. kept a limit and ate them already...YUM!!!

They sure were biting light, and it seemed like i had to keep switching up what i was putting down there for bait,

Switching from waxies to Crappie minnows

LNL- Over xmas break i noticed that the bite got better as the night went on too. It also seemed like the bigger fish were more active late than early. Congrats on the catch \:\)

Are the walleyes still active on Green right now? What depth are they at and what lure/bait are they hitting best on? Are they mostly at sundown or do they keep going will into the night?

I talked to a fella at the SA gas station off greenway ave that was just heading to the lake to get some eyes when I was leaving. Said they got 'em the night b/f till 4am

thats all the fish ever do out there is stare at your bait. it is overfished. theres 250 jigs down there fish arent just gonna swim bite and bite every one.

Went to Chisago on saturday night and did't do to bad.

I got a 4lb bass and man was that a blast! I seen my spring bobber hunch over and I set the hook and ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz. That thing just kept ripping line out. I would get it up to the hole then it would rip line out again. I only had 4lb test so it was a blast. Got a picture and let it go.

Then my buddy got a nice northern on a tipup about a minute later, that was another good fighter.

After that we got a bunch of small sunnies and a few decent crappies.

So what was going on on Green on Sunday. Saw a bunch of people in a circle (must have been at least 50 cars) out in the middle of Green? I probably should have gone over and asked but I am kind of shy.

I heard the same from my cousin, he said there were tents out there and all kinds of stuff? Iv heard of people fishing straight out from the landing in 20 some feet of water. Never tried it

Anyone been on Green lake this week? Hoping to get the kid out there this Sunday & wondered if there is still a decent crappie bite.