• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka or Circus

TR0PHYPHISHIN

Is it just me or does anyone else like it when a snowmobile runs over your tip up which is only 40ft from your shack. These are the same people that almost run a jetski into you when they have the whole lake to act like an idiot. Anyone else got some stories like this....?

thats just normal out there for some reason. I've had better luck hiding my tip up behind a snow pile, then they can't aim for it.

I believe that most of the time the snowmobiles do not see your tip up because they may be traveling to fast but I know of a few instances when they purposely run for the flag. I have lost 2 tipups due to being run over in last few years. The problem with tonka whether it's open water or ice is lack of enforcement with speed and or carelessness/drunkeness. How many times have you been almost knocked overboard by a big cruiser that has traveled within 100' of your boat or had a sled come way to close to you in a portable or permanent? It has happened way to often to me. Sad but true it has become a way of life when fishing the metro!

One evening I was back trolling/drifting by diamond reef and a 35-40 foot booze cruiser ran over my drift sock line connected to my bow(12 foot rope)then chewed up my drift sock(65 clams worth)and then had the nerve to yell !#@#*^#~#^@at me and my 11 year old.Some tonka residents own the water(just ask them they will tell you)c63 mad.gif

was out on tonka today, had morons on sleds within 50ft of our permanent shack a few times. Our house is the only one on excelsior bay, leaving 99% of the bay open but some feel the need to zip past close to our house. time to bring out the pellet gun again. is there some form of retardation that happens once someone gets on a sled?

I understand driving a sled to pull a fish house or something but to just driving around trying to show off to people is another thing. Just a bunch of drunk rednecks who argue all night about palaris and artic cat.

I usually put a shovel, bucket or something else that stands out near my tip-ups when I fish on busy lakes.

Started doing that after a snowmobile ran one over a few years back. Still doesn't prevent them from getting too close to you!

I have tried to steer clear of Tonka for these same reasons. I like to hit it on the fishing opener and maybe a few more times a year, but that's it. At least in the winter you can stay away from the crowds for the most part. Obviously, the occasional careless snowmobiler can ruin a day...and a tip up.

The comment about the boat traffic is true. I have a small fishing boat with a 25 horse motor and I am done on Tonka with that. This past summer I almost capsized when a big cruiser came blaring by my bow. The first wave damn near tipped me over and the second wave came over the side. I seriously thought I might go down.

I will never understand why some of these guys have the size of the boats they drive on that lake. I mean some of these things are sea worthy to say the least and they are driving them around 12 ponds!!!

Anyway, I have found that the general consensus from folks with these boats is "get out of my way". On land I will challenge them, but on the water I don't have a chance. So, I stay away from Tonka. Sad but true.

I think I have a solution to this problem. Everyone that doesn't like the boat traffic and rude snowmobiles should avoid the lake. In the mean time I'll sacrifice my own time on the water to continue to fish it and will report back when the traffic calms down...

In all seriousness, I haven't had people near me for the last three months on that lake. Choosing where and when to go will make all the differemce. Avoid major holidays and use the weather to your advantage. My tip-up was run over once, which simply taught me to avoid fishing in the middle of the ice house village.

I have a sled and sometimes just ride around on Tonka. I do give shelters a wide berth because you really can't see tipups. I was towing my portable one winter and the lantern fell out along the way. Went back to find it, moving at slow speed and looking hard and I managed to run over it. Never saw it until it crunched under the track. My point is if you set your tipup 50 to 100ft away from your shelter in a snowmobile traffic area it may get run over. The sledders aren't likely to see it. Like Schro said just avoid those areas with your tipups. The big majority of the sledders won't go near a shelter but there is always that genetically blessed few who create problems. Probably the kids of the guys with the 40ft cruisers that never get on plane and throw a 10ft wake everywhere they go grin.gif

Quote:

I think I have a solution to this problem. Everyone that doesn't like the boat traffic and rude snowmobiles should avoid the lake.