• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You can catch crappies during the day on some of the deeper holes around the lake. There are some decent spots by you over on third if you do some poking around that there will not be anyone fishing. I have been finding my fish in shallower water but they aren't as thick as some of the deeper holes. Like Flaker said, when you find them they are up and down the water colum suspended from the bottom up to 15' off the bottom. Go get boys!

Tunrevir~

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• Red Miller

• jpaulson

Anyone been out chasing crappies on Forest Lately? I know the deeper water on second has been doing okay for numbers but not much for size. I was out on 1st the other night and caught some crappies but again the size was lacking but fun to be out anyways. Plan on doing some panfish recon this weekend and poking around to a few fishy looking areas and see if anything is around. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

Hey Tun~..its been awhile. I havent been out lately but sure getting the itch. Did okay up on LOW a few weeks ago. I might get out on Flake tomorrow during the day. I see that you had mentioned the deep holes on 3rd during the day. I am tempted to give it a try. Sounds like the wind might give it rest tomorrow. I am assuming the ice is still in great shape and 100% driveable....how about the launches? Still okay?

Anyway, back to hanging the new bathroom light fixture.....gotta keep the little woman happy.

Oh...forgot to ask. Is the gilliage making any appearances up in the shallows and if so any size to 'em? Later..

Red don't know about the gills but my guess would be that they are up in the shallows cause the crappies are in the deep water for the most part. We fished third last night after the lake cleanup, Gurkster and Ole Matty and I and caught alot of little fish, nothing to write home about. I didn't get to fish the breakline as my auger was being fussy, Fuel line came off the primer bulb. There is close to 30" of ice out there right now. We need a warmup to melt the snow a bit and get the fish going.

Tunrevir~

Took my 10 year old daughter out for some bluegills last weekend on 3. There were loads of little ones in the weeds at 9 FOW and shallower. The first thing she caught on a tiny jig and waxie was a huge pike. She was pretty excited and is begging to go back out this coming weekend.

Originally Posted By: tunrevir
We need a warmup to melt the snow a bit and get the fish going.

Tunrevir~

Ask and your wish shall be granted!!! grin.gif

Yes sir, I must still have a bit of pull with the good Lord. Hey, Sohaad, did you ever write anything up on the St. Croix post? Somebody was asking about it and I mentioned that you, Matty or Sniper might want to chime in.

Tunrevir~

No, I didn't see your St. Croix post. Haven't been on here as much the last couple of weeks. With this warm weather though I'm guessing the river ice will take a beating from both the top and the bottom sides (current).

Drove onto 1st lake yesterday afternoon (when it was 52 degrees) and drove down to the Willow...in about a foot of water the whole way where the old road was plowed. Won't be too long and the landings will be inaccesible...I'm guessing.

Hit some nice sunnies and a couple decent perch along with ALOT of tiny perch on 3rd. Fishing about 15 FOW.

FLaker

Thanks Flaker, Its a start. Pretty much the same pattern on Rush. Think I'll give it a shot.

Just a word of warning to the non-4wd crowd, i went on at the 3rd lake access around 5pm just to see what was going on and was really lucky to get off the lake with my 2wd pickup. 6 inches of water with a crust of ice on top. i did a 180 as soon as possible and had my foot on the gas the whole time. 2nd access looked better but I wouldn't risk getting stuck personally.

Was out Sat am in the 32' hole on lake 2 and we caught our limit of crappies. They were all small to average, no big ones to be found.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out on lake 1 this evening from about 5-7pm, still have 26" of ice, just a little slop on top not bad at all. Caught (& released) a couple dozen crappies, a few went 10-11", otherwise most were about 8". I've been getting the bigger ones lately on fatheads, even the smaller ones have been hitting the bigger minnows. I was the only one out there, nice to fish when it's so quiet...

• 1 month later...

Anybody been fishing Flake yet this spring? How's the bite going? Just got the dock in this past week and the toon goes in this weekend.

Tunrevir~

Went out last sunday with my son, caught a few northerns, bass and had about a 35"-40" musky about 15' from the boat until the SOB spit the hook. My son had on a #5 mepps spinner, it was just to small for that big musky mouth. It was cold and windy so we pretty much hugged the less windy sides of the lake. Were going back out this Sunday.

was out opener before the rain and into it a bit, 1 walleye, couple weed carp, 1 northern,small. talked to a lot of guys out there, not much luck.

I got up at 4:30 this morning and went out. I could see what must have been walleyes on the flasher but couldn't get a bite from them. I casted some into the weeds as well but bass and pike were all that hit there.

I did get into a mess of crappies that were biting all morning until I left at around 11PM. I caught a lot of very nice largemouth bass mixed in with them and of course threw them back. I did get one nice pike as well. The crappies made it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the reports guys, I was thinking of hitting it this weekend afterI get the "STEALTH" pontoon in the water. Right now I would think there would be some shallow aggressive fish that could be caught. I have always had better luck fishing the afternoon and evening vs. the early a.m. bite. Good luck out there! Chris, the lake is divided into three basins. Lake one is the westernmost and right in town, as you head to the east you will go through the narrows to second lake and continue further east you'll see 2 points jutting out that form the entrance to third lake. All technically Forest Lake.

Tunrevir~

Tunrevir, let me know if you need help with the pontoon. My "new ring" events are mostly behind me now!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...