• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I had a rainbow chub (one accidently made it in with the fatheads) on my tip-up on 1st Wed evening and it was struck right away. Maybe rainbows are what they're smacking right now...probably worth a try since the shiners are hard to come by.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• Red Miller

• jpaulson

I've been getting hits on chubs on a plain hook or crappie minnows on a small chartreuse glow jig. Seems like the larger walleyes will take the rainbow chubs and the smaller ones want the jig. I'll give that later night fishing a try on Sunday and see how it goes.

Pretty much everywhere right now. I drove for the first time last Sunday but was seeing mostly 14 inches everywhere prior to that. I did notice some trucks and small cars that have been running around the middle so I would say for the most part that it is all driveable at this time. Must have made a couple inches the past few days so I'd say most areas are 16+ or better right now.

Tunrevir~

Was out last nite off of Willow Point 17.5 inches of ice with about 4 being frozen slush. Caught 1 small walleye and a small crappie

I'll be headed out this afternoon and fishing later into the evening. Hoping to get a few eyes to bite and some crappies. Hopefully my holes won't freeze up too quickly! Good luck out there and stay warm!

Tunrevir~

Went out last night until around 11PM. There were a few nibbles but that was it. The larger fish must be very sluggish with the cold weather. They wouldn't even touch anything larger than a crappie jig and crappie minnow. Warmer weather is coming for next weekend. They should be back in the mood to bite!

Was out tonight for a bit and got a few small crappies but man was the traffic tough. Now I am off the beaten path but got a few yahoos that moved from the narrows to over by me at prime time and then proceeded to run circles around my shack as I was trying to fish. I am beginning to think I need stop stix to rid myself of unruly traffic. They were younger guys, so I went to say hello, gave them a report on the fishing and they still needed to run around on both sides of my shack. Hopefully it is not one of our FM family. Might be pulling up stakes and moving again with these yahoos around. Don't get me wrong, I was young and full of p+++ and vinegar once too but it gets me a bit peeved when I have the feeling they are out to party and decided to put up shop near me. Just had to vent.

Tunrevir~

I agree the traffic has been bad. I have saw the same 2 cars racing around multiple days now. Now I know the ice is pretty good but I saw a 1 ton dually diesel pulling a trailer with a car on it and another car driving right on his tail heading towards the access on 2nd. They made it off. The ice has been very loud the last few days as well. Fishing for me has been really slow. Yesterday I thought it was going turn around when I got a northern, crappie and perch in the first 10 minutes but then shut off and nothing but small sunfish and a 19 inch northern the rest of the day. I gotta stop putting off moving the house and get it done!

Yep that would be enough to p*** off the pope. It just goes to show there is no shortage of idiots.

I have never been on FL before but I have been scoping it out on my new H2Oc. I live pretty close and thought about giving lake 1 a try this weekend. Lots for structure for sure. Anyone have any pointers for a FL rookie or recommend a better alternative? Thanks guys (and gals)

I can point you in the right direction Red and plan on being out this weekend myself. What is your quarry? Eyes, pike, crappies, sunnies? I have a few spotsand some of them still don't see any traffic right now.

Tunrevir~

tun...that would be greatly appreciated. You should be able to see my email address if you dont want a crowd. Crappies and sunnies are a nice diversion but it would be great to get into the eyes for sure. I can pass on the snakes and hammer handles...maybe if we land on similar spots I could treat you to a brew or 2. I can see on the map there are some very interesting inside turns and flats near deep water.

Thanks man...it looks like a promising spot. Should be out there on Saturday and set up there. Swing on by if you are in the area. I will report back in any event. thanks again. its a good place to start

No problem, I'll swing over and say hello on Saturday when I am out. Haven't decided if I'll fish with the portable or go to the permanent and pull up stakes and head to other areas less travelled yet.

Tunrevir~

Tunrevir,

I am going to be moving the perm on saturday and want to find some eyes and crappies. I have marked a few spots on the map that look promising but I wanted to see if you had any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like we will have some nice weather this weekend to be out on the ice. I'll be out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday trying to get the eyes to hit the bait. Hopefully they haven't gone dormant at this point. If so, I might have to move back into pike weeds. Might be time to go drilling with the Vexilar to see what can be found.

The pike have been biting. Most days I would be able to limit out if I wanted to. It is common to see a bunch on the camera along with some big muskies. Good luck and keep an eye out for 2 guys in a yukon or tahoe moving a perm.

JP where are you planning on moving to? Are you still over by willow point? There are some good options for you on both the third lake and first. Was out last night and picked up a few crappies and a northern about 8 pm, thought for sure was gonna be a walleye! The bite is picking up and with the warmer weather things will be really busy this weekend!

Tunrevir

I was thinking either on 2nd close to willow where it drops quick or a smaller spot on 3rd where deep and shallow and a flat are close by. Hit me up by email and we can discuss it further.

JP you have mail. I sent you a couple spots that have good potential that should produce some fish. You should be off away from the masses as the most part. The crappie bite picked up last night and the eyes have been slow this past week but you shouls see some action from pike during the day and crappies in the deeper water in the evening. I am still fishing the remnant weedlines and shallower for the eyes and am out deeper for the crappies. Good luck out there, let me know how you do. Each spot has its own unique charecteristics and may hold a variety of fish throughout the day. Your best bet for eyes IMO is the last hours before sunset and the hour or two after.

Tunrevir~

tunrebir, using dese plastics for crappies or livebait??? haha. hey whats the fastest way to get to big pond from here? thanks.

Matty, nice to hear from you. Plastics and live bait. I like to take 35 to Hinkley and take 18 to 65 to47 to 27 I think. You can take 35 to the Finlayson exit and that will run you straight acroos to the SE side too. North Branch to 95 to 65. All kinds of options. How's the fishing been?

Tunrevir~

Never fished forest lake but i like exploring new lakes, was just wondering how far out from the access you need to go to get to the eyes and crappies? I just got a new pick-up and im too big of a wimp to drive it on the ice...

havent really fish much. work take up alot of time but gone out few time. it was slow last 2 weeks but had good bites today on rush lake away from crowds till my vex battery died on me.. its unbelieveable how much perm n icehouse r out on rush lake along with flake too! those people r nuts to have a perm set up just 6 feets away from others! crazy!

Originally Posted By: WallyGader
Never fished forest lake but i like exploring new lakes, was just wondering how far out from the access you need to go to get to the eyes and crappies? I just got a new pick-up and im too big of a wimp to drive it on the ice...

look up in this topic i believe turnveir had mention of some spot worth trying for eyes n crappies. but if ur into just catching fish deep hole in lake 2 n 3 will give u alot of fun with dese small crappies.

Was on flake last night and got a 21" eye and a few crappies. Was planning on heading back out today in search for some northerns any pointers on where to head?

The narrows between first and second on the north side is generally pretty good in 7'but you can find nortens just about anywhere on the lake in the 8-12' depths. Tipups and suckers or shiners if you have them. The west side of second is pretty decent just out of the narrows, you'll see the shacks. Third lake out from willow is also decent. Good luck, congrats on the 21" EYE NICE FISH!

Tunrevir~