• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• Red Miller

• jpaulson

Ice is pretty good all over. I wouldn't go all over with a vehicle though. I was going out to see how a buddy was doing so I rode my 4 wheeler from my house down through the swamp and out the little beach/park on the north west side of second. Boy did I get a scare. Cruising along I plunged into some pretty deep slush spots. It sure does get the heart racing. I wouldn't want to get a truck in any of that. I thought I was going to get stuck a few times. and I have a lift in the wheeler!

I think those guys are nuts. I was out all day, and I could tell when another truck was coming out as the water level kept rising. I had 10" at one end of the fish house, and 8.5" at the other. Still to early to feel safe with the fishin' truck. Lots of trucks, min-vans, and larger permanent houses, and the ice is bowing from it!

I was out today checking the ice. I found any where from 9" to as much as 14". The most common thickness I found was 11".

People are out driving around like there is 20" though.

I was watching people driving full size trucks at high speeds, which could be a recipe for disaster if they go over the thinner ice.

If you have the seeds to drive on 11" ice with a full size truck, at least keep the speed down.

Anybody have any fishing reports from the lake? I have fished it in the summer a few times and in the winter way back when I was yojnger, but haven't been out there in a while.

Hey if your after crappies try out in front of the bay on first, your going to need a FL-8. I went tuesday before sunrise and had a limit by 10 11.Had to filter through them.

Good luck

Went out and sat in a buddys perminent on second for a little while, only managed a couple of small crappies, all went back down the hole to get bigger.

Hi guys. New to posting to the site.

I was out on 1st lake new years day. Caught a lot of little crappies. Right around sunset I started catching a few bigger ones. Took home 2 11 inchers, 2 10 inch and 3 nice sunnies.

I was out quite a bit in the last week and had good luck in 10 feet for nice sized pike. I moved out to 15 feet New Year's Even and hit walleye. They are not very aggressive at this time but they can be found. Shiners seem to be the bait of choice. Haven't hit any crappies but I haven't tried morning fishing.

Good to have you on board here at FM! Welcome aboard folks. There are still walleyes to be had out there and they will bite all winter but just at a slower pace then at first ice. There are some really nice crappies on Forest but they are a little more difficult to find on a regular basis. Little guys will bite all day long and can make for some good fun with the kids. Occasionally you will get a real monster mixed in with those little tykes though. I'll be out tonight to try for a few eyes and some crappies. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

There's permanents all over now. Ice conditions will vary, especially in those areas that didn't freeze up right away. We measured 13.5" on 1st last night.

I have a permanent out on 3rd. It's not in the big group. I like to get out and explore other areas that people aren't putting as much pressure on. How are things hitting on 2nd?

sunfish are consistent but no size and very spotted. Some crappies here and there and no size yet. Saw a few northerns and had one missed fish on a tip up. Also saw a couple nice muskies on saturday come swimming by our lines very slowly. How's 3rd treating you?

I was out there last Saturday fishing the 2nd lake on the right side of that point (I think its called Willow point)in about 28' caught lots of Crappies but really no size, everything was thrown back. I should be back out there by 8:30am fishing in the same spot in a perm shack.

Was out yesterday afternoon into the evening with 2/3 of my kids and we caught some samllish crappies, a few pike and 2 walters in the evening hours. Seems alot of folks are beginning to prefish for the fihapalooza coming up.

Tunrevir~

I see someone measured 13.5" on 1st, but what about 2nd? Wasn't 1st the last to freeze up this year? Thought I remember someone saying that back in Dec. I see lots of trucks and houses on 2nd and plenty of tracks coming out from the east access so figure must be pretty solid by now, but I haven't taken the time to do go around and ask or do any test drilling out from the east access. Thanks for any "solid" info.

Barracuda,

I was on lake 2 Saturday afternoon. Popped 8 holes and found a consistent 14 inches on the west side. I didn't go out towards the middle, but I did see a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel truck drive the road from lake one, across lake two, over to lake three.

It'll be making some serious ice this week! Brrrrrrrrrrrr. I drove out on sunday for the first time but was still a bit leery to drive out across the middle of the lake. Anybody gonna fish this week and weekend with the cold?

Tunrevir~

The walleyes on lake three really went quiet with the cold front moving in. Out of three days fishing last weekend, I had one monster halfway out of the hole before the line broke and I blew it. Maybe they'll get more aggressive on the back end of this cold in a couple of weeks. I'm sure the crappies are still biting well on lake two.

Hopefully I will be doing some fishing at the end of the week or the weekend. Probably going to move the house too. Anybody willing to give some pointers on what to look for to improve walleye and crappie opportunities? Right now it is just out from the access on 2nd. Everybody seems to be moving out now.

Let me know, I have been picking up a few fish here and there and could give you a pointer in the right direction.

Tunrevir~

I am going to try to head out thursday and give our spot one last try before we move it friday or saturday. How was the ice looking when you drove out tunrevir? Last time I was out our spot was 12.5 inches. Hopefully there is more ice now.

I dragged my perm out last night and a buddy followed me out in his 3/4 ton. I'd say we have 14+ inches out there right now. JP, if you search back through the Flake archives you will find some info that will point you in the right direction. I have found crappie in 15' and deeper and the walleyes in 15-8'. The key to these shallower fish is get off the beaten path, find a fast break with a shallow flat or access to deep water near by. On first lake deeper is relative as it only gets to like 24' or so in a couple spots but on second and third there are some great breaklines, sunken islands and points near drop off or sand flats. Hope this helps.

Tunrevir~

I will be bringing the h20C out definately and should hopefully find some structure that doesn't have a village on it. Thanks for the info. Keep an eye out for an 8x8 osb shack. Stop by and say hi sometime.

Pulled my 8 x 12 out last Sunday there was 15 inches of ice out by Willow Point. I caught a 17 inch walleye around 9:30pm. I had couple bites earlier in the day but nothing on the line. I will be out this saturday sometime. I drive a Red Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Stop and say hi. This is my second year with fishing Minnesota. I would like to meet the experts.

It's great to hear the walleyes will bite later in the night. I've not tried them after around 7pm in Forest Lake this winter. What bait did it hit?

Actually I have caught more walleyes between 8:30pm - 2:30 am on Forest lake #2 then any other time. The bait I was using on sunday was a rainbow chub. The medium to small ones seem to work the best.