• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Prior Lake Travesty

SnipeZilla

I was out on prior twice yesterday with some of the boys and when we went out for the night bite, we couldn't help but notice the fish people left on the ice. Small fish that people clearly caught, realized they didn't want them and threw them back in their holes or left them on the ice. 2 small sunnies, a crappie, and a perch. This flat out sickens me. What are people thinking? What's the penalties for this and what do you guys think about this?

I think its absolutely gutless. What you have to realize is that 99.9% of people wouldnt do this, its that other group that makes the poor decisions. Most likely the same people that leave their trash and cans lying around after a night of fishing. Dont know what the penalty is, but I am assuming that the good ol DNR dont take too kindly to it. Just a matter of catching them in the act.

People leaving fish on the ice is considered wanton waste and the DNR definitely DOES NOT take kindly to it. It's definitely a waste of 1. our natural resource, 2. fun for any kids that are out ice fishing, and 3. the future of the lake.

STOP DRIVING ON PRIOR LAKE THE ICE IS LITERALLY 7 TO 8 INCHES IN FRONT OF SPORTSMAN WITH AN INCH OF CRAPPY ICE!!!!!! SERIOUSLY PEOPLE..... WIAT LIKE A ANOTHER WEEK AFTER THIS COLD FRONT.... YOUR JUMPING THE GUN!!! ITS PUTTING WAY TO MUCH STREES ON THE ICE ESPECIALLY WHEN 4 F250S PARK NEXT TO EACH OTHER......

wait till they all sink there trucks and cars them we can all laugh at then. Which is not what I'm hoping for.

Quote:

LITERALLY 7 TO 8 INCHES

Are you sure about that???? I have been finding 10-12" everywhere I go. Granted I am done fishing near sand point or sportsmans. But still I have been driving for a few days now and I am yet to find any less than 10" of ice which is plenty for my truck. We used to drive out on 8" all the time in Duluth, heck I've had an S10 blazer out on 6-8" and it was fine.

We've found SOME places with 10-11 inches, but 20 feet away it's 8-9 inches. Not to mention the top 3 or 4 inches is cruddy ice. With all the houses and frickin F250s out there, thats a little much. And back to the topic of this post, wanton waste is $50 per fish I believe. So don't be afraid to call TIP on these heartless wannabe sportsman.

It seems Prior is getting just too much traffic. Too many trucks and yahoos driving too fast. Today even saw a 4wheel mule break through the ice in the inlet on the NE side. The ice is variable from the 15 holes I drilled today. Too thin for my Yukon! BE safe and TAKE CARE OF THE LAKE!

i think there is a FM'er that has a mule that was going to fish prior or spring this weekend..i wonder if it was him?!

With a name like gotcatfish you would drive on 6 inches. really do you think its worth it? People are too lazy whats wrong with walking for 10 mins? was out sunday for 8 hours, didnt get much but it was kinda comical to see all the DA's driving. Sportsmans is over for quality fish my advise would be upper prior now

Fished yesterday afternoon from about 1 to 6 or so. One nutter went across the lake with a full size pickup + wheelhouse. As to the fishing a handfull of smallish crappies and a perch between two of us.

you guys wouldnt like odowd then, there is nuts driving all over the place in full size trucks and suburbans and the ice is spotty.

Prior and odowd have been done since the 60s. Odowd never was really. It had a couple good years i guess. U may catch a nice sunfish or walleye in prior but it is sheer harvest out there.

Ice was at least 12" everywhere I went yesterday on Lower Prior - Plenty to be driving - Don't make yourself out to be a hero because you walk.

tj417 are you kidding right now? because i sure hope you are! there is a difference between driving out and staying away from crowds of people, driving out means you park 15 to 20 feet away from where you are.. or other trucks and cars... and the fact that there is about 2 and a half inches of slush ice on the top of 9 inches of good ice... just wait till someone goes in and tyhen everyone will get the picture... same thing happened in 05... a group of guys decided to drive out in about a foot of ice and they parked all there dang trucks right next to each other and wouldnt ya know.... plump right into the lake about 5 of em... its called morals... driving is fine but there is a fine line between parking 3 1/2 ton pick up trucks next to each other... and pulling wheelhouses across the lake... your not a hero for driving out neither... i laugh at guys out there who drive there f-250's out there and drive about 30 in..... if you could only see what that could do to all those smart guys parked on shores trucks.... the ice flexes with waves creating from to fast of driving and pop there goes the shore ice... and then pop all of our trucks are 2 feet in water..... i personaly like my truck so therefore i chose to keep it on shore untill bettewr ice conditions... and its not being a hero driving out big guy its being smarter than everyone who isnt...

What is the point of being angry at people who choose to drive on the ice. So they drive big deal. It makes no difference to me.

Quote:

. So they drive big deal. It makes no difference to me.

It makes a difference to me, people who are stupid enough to drive on 8-9" of ice and go through eat up resources like fire and rescue, police , and who knows what other resources are burned up to someones ignorance of ice conditions. Simply put, It costs taxpayers money when "Joe Ignornace" goes through the ice!

I measured a little over 12" of ice last week where I am fishing. The DNR recommends 8" to 12" for small cars and trucks. 12" or more for medium trucks. I am not driving on but if some else thinks 12" is ok thats up to them.

All great points Hooked.

The only problem is, there is 12 to 15 inches of ice on Prior and not 8-9 inches.

Big difference.

You boys can spout off about driving on all you want early or late season, but enough already. The ice is in great shape for driving right now and growing fast with this cold front.

Oh...and the fishing.....I hit Prior yesterday and today and found plenty of bluegills and crappies to bite, but it sure seems like both are running smaller this year compared to the last 5 or so. Nice to see all of those 6-7" crappies coming up though. There will be a nice batch of crappies to go after next year.

Well put!!! Congrats. I will continue to drive on Prior.I don't understand what everyone is so freaked out about. Where are you guys fishing that only has 6" of ice?????? There is 10-15" everywhere on PRior and don't tell me there isn't, remember I am driving all over the place out there.

Some of you need to review forum policy before posting again. Topic has been covered. Move on and get back to fishing.