• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alex ice and travel?

Made the call and they said 12-14 inches on west end, but unsure about east or south ends. Hopefully the same, because I usually go out the the Cushing (south) end.

Thanks for number Dances! Where do you usually go out of?

Yes 14" all through most of the west end... I fish out there almost everyday. The North side is spotty is what I have heard, and I know there was a truck that went down in 20 feet of water over there last friday, and heard it was still down there on tuesday cuz of the holidays! Scary

i drove my truck out on the ice today in the bay. im not gonna lie there is a bunch of houses out there. scotty i dont know how you can put up with all of the people out there. it seems like you can set up anywere and be on fish. the houses are scatterd all over in no pattern at all. i didnt catch any crappies but hammered the sunfish. i was about in 13 feet of water. what do i need to do to get some crappies? i would say the ice is about 12-14 inches were i drilled.

Main lake is quite inconsistent for ice thickness. Walked out and saw everything from about 5 inches to 14 inches. Be careful.

tight lines

dan

Quote:

Yes 14" all through most of the west end... I fish out there almost everyday. The North side is spotty is what I have heard, and I know there was a truck that went down in 20 feet of water over there last friday, and heard it was still down there on tuesday cuz of the holidays! Scary

Where on the North end did this truck go in? When you say "north end", is it assumed that is by the Castaway?

I go to a cabin that is on the north side of the lake and just want to make sure I know where the free truck is located!

I actually am going to hopefully do a little sledding out there and want to avoid a trouble spot if I can.

Thanks guys, and be safe out there!

Well for the rest of this season I'll be out of my wheel house on Mille Lacs... Sadly I won't see Alexander again until possibly March... Or sometime around Ice Out. (Last year I launched my boat while some small spots on the north end were still candeling!)

I've been out of all the accesses except for the South...

I've been wanting to try the south end... But it's such an unpredictable area with no one really keeping an eye on it....

I've found that my best chance for Walleye and Perch is to head out of the East end... There are some drop offs and inside turns, or rock piles available out of the East end that have been somewhat productive for me in the past.

West End... Crowded, but convenient... Pan Fishing is always good...

North end, seems to be the worst Ice Fishing... But I've only fished North End Twice... Problem with North is that there's not really a ton of structure to take advantage of... And what there is, is taken up by people who got there before me.

I'll be heading up there for a family weekend next weekend, and will be very curious to hear how the ice handles the warm up this weekend.

If anyone is out on Alex in the next week, I would definitely appreciate any updates on trouble spots out there if you see any.

Thank you!

I was all over the lake on the first with my sled and the ice seemed fine for the sled and wheelers but I would use caution with a car or PU. 12" on the east end. West bay is solid but crowded, there is a road plowed to about the first grass island. There is also a road out from the S. side. I would use caution going beyound these regularly traveled areas with a car or PU. There was some frozen slush on the east end under the heavier snow. I was at my cabin the days the main lake froze and it appeared to be very un-even. We don't have the big pressure ridges we had last year but the ice looks iffy in those areas.... for heavy traffic anyway. I have not drilled any holes in those areas but it is some milky looking ice on top. Best sourse of local advise is the bait shop on the west end.

East end is usually always more slushy. West end is 14-15" crowed like silverhair said. Out from the castaway I have been driving all the way across the lake and all around Soldier Island with Chev 3/4 ton long box... ice is just fine in my opinion. The truck that fell through was west of the Castaway out from where the Aeirator system is. Have fun and be safe guys!

is there roads plowed out by soldier island? my dad says i have no option i can not drop the truck in the lake so i kinda want to make sure its 100% safe.

I posted this earlier, but then they revamped the site, where is the Aeirator system on Alex? Why is it there? By the way Waterfowl, ice is never 100% safe, trust your own judgement

It looks like some posts have been cut off.

The aerator system is west of the Castaway, kind of on that next shallow point. Word is that a truck went through over in that area, and I'm trying to figure out exactly where so I can avoid the spot. Anyone know?

I'm heading up tonight and should have several holes drilled by this time tomorrow morning. Anyone have an ice and snow cover update?!

I'd ask about the bite, but I'll just wait to ask Gary at the Lakeside Store tomorrow morning!