• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recent West Wind Fishing Report

upnorthfishin

Anyone been out through West Winds recently? I am trying to get an ice and fishing report. Thank you. I was up two weeks ago and my fishing was altered due to lack of ice.

Been up since yesterday late afternoon. There are five of us fishing with about a dozen eyes through the holes. I visited roughly ten other houses checking on the bite and it is the same everywhere...SLOW. Maybe it will pick back up before we leave on Sunday.

Just got back from the big pond...we had great action on the 26th and so-so action on the 27th....two night and three day total for two adults and three kids....~100 to 120 walleyes...about half were 14" to 16.5"....largest 'eye was 24".....one 40"+ pike on 6lbs test!!!! The key??? Kelly Petrowske....he had us on the fish. I will post pics later this week. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hey steeple... I saw where you guys were fishing. grin.gif I was a victim of that Northern (or probably another monster). grin.gif

I guess when I was up there we couldnt drive out as far as we wanted to and got stuck pretty close to shore. It was slow for us as well, but again that was 2 weeks ago. We all know how hit and miss Red can be. I talked to one of my guide friends yesterday who fishes daily and he said they have been hammering the walleyes just no crappies yet. It will be interesting to see how far some of you guys went out to catch your fish. I am a depth guy, I don't believe you need to be 3-4-5 miles out. I had luck all winter last year just 2 miles out.

yeah...she really slowed the bite for about 4 hours....then a big tangle, a big 10 minute gentle battle with 6lb test...then a picture or 5, then back in the water....i may have the scars on my middle finger to prove it...sliced her right open on the gill plate.....i figure she went 20lbs...heavy bodied beast....i plan on posting pic later this week grin.gif

Very cool. I pulled one up on 6 lb. test last year. I take it you got the line stuck in the corner of it's mouth as well? If not, that line would have been gone instantly with those teeth! I think the one I pulled up was 17 lbs.

How'd you guys do for crappies?

we had one up to the bottom of the hole, but i missed her...she was a pig....but i guess we weren't really looking for them either...we drilled about 40 holes outside the house, but I don't think we were in the "right" area for crappies yet....they move so much....I guess two older gals hooked a few about 600 yards from us....we were shockede that there were so many eaters

We were fishing just east of the Petrowske rentals.. Caught 6 crappies. That's very successful in my book. Longest crappie was 15.5".

We did pull up one pike, probably about 2 or 3 lbs. We threw the slimer away though... Didn't want our bucket full of slime. grin.gif

Seen two trucks flipped at the first turn. Keep it slow as it is not easy to see on the way out. I have seen plenty of people barrel down that road this weekend. I am not saying speed was the cause, but they both likely could have been avoided.

This is how stories get out of hand. There was one truck that was upside down and the night before, one in the slush (not up side down). Speed and probaly a little booze, were involved in both. The zig zag in the road is there to avoid a crack and slush. Also it makes people slow down a little. This year the ice is not super thick and driving too fast just breaks up the roads. Speed should stay around the 30 mph range.

Quote:

i like to drive 28.7 mph on the ice. just thought everyone should know

GPS or vehicle Speedometer? Cause thats going to make a slight difference too. wink.gifgrin.gif

I don't know guys... 30mph is pretty darn fast on the ice. I've hit some pretty nasty speedbumps on the URL ice roads over the years and even going 20mph, you can't stop. Had a buddy in the backseat of my truck crack his head on the roof one day heading down an ice road. Hit the brakes, slid over the couple bumps, next thing you know he's airborne in the backseat.

There was a guy who rolled his truck on Hillman's Rd last year too!

I honestly have never heard of anyone rolling their truck on an ice road before until that one last year.

drinking and driving, you can do anything. that's how you roll a truck on ice. have fun, but please be safe.

Quote:

How in the world could you roll a truck on the ice?!

Real easy. Start sliding sideways and catch your tires on a hard, frozen roadbank.

Here's a story of a rollover on Hillman's Road from back in March of '06. seen it laying there one morning.

well i knew it was bound to show up on here sooner or later so you may as well here it straight from the horse. that was my nice truck.i was not driving nor was i in it so to say the least i am quite pissed. nobody got hurt but i sure lost my pride and joy. we were headed out on the lake fri afternoon to find a spot and set up the fish house for a fun weekend of fishing. after we found a spot the owner of the fish house remebered he needed a current license on the house. it was then decided that two of us would stay back and get the fish house ready while the other two would go back to shore and get the license, well knowing how one of the guys drives i instrucked the other guy to drive and under any circumstance was the other guy to drive.he assured me he would only drive. as we went about getting the fish house ready the other two guys left for shore.after about an 1 1/2 hours and they wernt back i called their cell to see what was takeing them and they said they were also getting some coal and other misc and talking to other fishermen to see how they were doing and said they would be back shortly.well after another 1 1/2 and they still werent back with my truck i got nervous and called again this time they didnt answer but a unfamilar voice answered and said they didnt want to talk, well right then i knew they got sidetracked, well i called sevral more times and they wouldnt talk to me so about all i could do was wait for them back at the fish house since we only had one vehicle, i very well couldnt walk to shore to get them. well at about 9:30 a strange pickup pulled up to our fish house and the two guys got out and started unloading some of our belongings out of this pickup. well instantly this set off alarms, when i asked the driver where my truck was he said he wanted to stay out of it and i should ask them. well i did and neither one wanted to tell me but after some threats they spilled the beans and i went nuts.first they said they only tipped it on its side then after a hour of questions they said they rolled it(a light roll) they said. since i had no way of getting there to see it i had to wait till morning. i didnt get much sleep.the next moring came and we went over to a fisherman who just set up and asked if he would give us a ride back to see it so he was nice enough to stop fishing and give us a ride. i was in shock when i seen it.they rolled it 2 1/2 times and it landed on its side. they said about 10 fishermen stoped and helped push it back on its wheels. i would like to thank those who stoped to help and if any of you should read this please let me know.we figured they were doing about 60 when they lost controll.i would also like to thank hillmans plow driver who made a road to it so we could get it out.the truck is totled so if anyone knowes of a newer truck im looking. thans to everyone who helped.

Sorry about your loss Slab-Slayer. I hope that there is some way somebody's insurance can help you out. Reminds me that I should never let friends drive my truck EVER. Some people never understand what it takes to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

does any one now if they have the bathroom on the houses or does a guy have to go to shore?

sorry I would thought that I would ask because we are going up there this weekend and they were asking if the restrooms were on the house or what? I will give a report when we get back sorry.

Quote:

sorry I would thought that I would ask because we are going up there this weekend and they were asking if the restrooms were on the house or what? I will give a report when we get back sorry.

Clamtrap, he must have had a bad night confused.gif, the biffies are connected to the houses but you have to go outside to get into them. There are a few rental outfits up there that dont have the biffies on the house but will have one close to your location. Have fun I'm leaving in about 14hrs to go up to url myself.

Quote:

Quote:

How in the world could you roll a truck on the ice?!

Real easy. Start sliding sideways and catch your tires on a hard, frozen roadbank.

How drunk does it take to get that stupid? grin.gif