• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, apparently comcast doesn't let hotmail emails go through. My email wouldn't go to your comcast account.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoggleEye

• CrappieFshr651

• kingspade651

• hovermn

Originally Posted By: rosspj59
Guys, this area is very small. Please think about what you are doing on this site.

They haven't thought ahead to this spring (open water) OR just haven't seen what this kind of "open" conversation can do. I'm not sure the risk of responding and keeping this thread is worth just hoping it will die. I'm with you, Ross.

Give it a rest. Im familiar with this backwater, its chalk full of fish, has a continuous cycle going through it every spring when the water rises, and not to mention its 100% catch and release. Also a very hard water to access so i really wouldnt worry about a thread causing a problem

His point was that it was small. 2-3 boats trolling and 5-6 moving slow, and it's pretty tight at times. Nice of you to announce that it's "chalk" full of fish, though.

But you are right, alot of times, it is VERY difficult to get to. Esp. when a barge blocks the exit you uses as an entrance. Not fun.

Thats Red Rock road on the east side of the river you take to get to it. Its off Maxwell Ave. Good parking at the end. Isnt that little pigs eye lake? Thought some of those lakes are not under the same restrictions as pool 2. Need to check the rule book again.

yep i believe it is little pigs eye. Even if they didnt have the same restrictions, i wouldnt recommend ANYTHING out of that stretch of river.

Thinkin about headin out there Saturday since its suppose to be warm. If anyone is interested send me an email at [PleaseGetAuthorization]. I'm not sure what to expect, so im just bringin the essentials, poles, tipup, etc...

Have a good time out there. Hope you dont fish that lake out on saturday. Ha Ha. Im heading north for some fish that taste good.

Can some1 tell me where pigs eye is? It sounds like a 1 good fishing lake from what i have read on posts.

Thanx

Robbie

Hey guys,

I'm out for this Wednesday, but should be game for next Wednesday if anyone can do it then.

I fished Pigs eye last year and parked on the road mentioned above. There's good parking, but it's along the road, so if there are several people there (never would be) it would be a workout dragging the portable across the pavement!

Anyway, if anyone's going out there tomorrow, good luck! Also, I agree with what was said. I'd never keep anything out of the river, restrictions or not. The river may have been cleaned up over the years, but YUCK!

I TRIED LITTLE PIGS EYE THIS MORNING AND CAUGHT NOTHING -- BUT IT WAS A FUN HIKE FOR ME AND THE WIFE -- ABOUT TWO MILES TOTAL. I WONDER WHICH END THE FISH CONGREGATE TO AND WHERE THE DEEPEST PART IS. iS SEEMED LIKE IT WAS DEEPER TOWARDS THE MAIN CHANNEL OF THE RIVER.

ICE--THERE WAS PLENTY OF IT. I MEASURED AT LEAST 2.5 FEET!

THOUGHT I'D AT LEAST CATCH A CARP OR SOMETHING...

Fish Monger, where did you park??? I stopped there on my way home from work last week and could not find a section on Red Rock Road where there wasn't "no parking" signs. I wasn't willing to risk it as I didn't want to get towed. Where does everyone park???? Thanks.

GE

PARKED AT THE VERY END AND TRIED TO PULL OFF THE ROAD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I DID NOT SEE ANY NO PARKING SIGN(S) THERE. THEN, THERE IS A NARROW TRAIL THAT LEADS DOWN TO THE LAKE. I DOUBT THAT THEY WOULD TOW ANYBODY FROM THERE. IF THEY DID, I WOULD FIGHT IT. IT(RED ROCK) IS A PUBLIC ROAD.

DO YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY CRAPPIE IN THERE? IF SO, WHERE ARE THEY AND AT WHAT TIME?

LAST YEAR I REMEMBER SEEING ON TELEVISION KENT HRBEK AND "THE GRIZZ" ICE FISH IT IN FEBRUARY AND PULLED SOME EYES FROM THERE -- THEY UNLOADED A FOUR-WHEELER AND DROVE DOWN THE RR GRADE THEN ACROSS THE LAKE. THAT GRIZZ THOUGH, HE COULD PULL AN EYE OUT FROM A MUD PUDDLE, METHINKS!

Ah, that is where I was going to try and park and I did see the little trail leading down to Pig's Eye Lake, but I decided not to risk it until I checked into it further. I just didn't want to get towed and be stranded out there late at night after a long hike out. I plan on trying to fish it some night after work and staying until late. I am going to try and pick a nice warm night with no wind so I don't have to drag my small portable with. Does anyone ever fish the frozen channel coming out of pig's eye leading into the river??????

GE

I forgot to answer your question. I don't know if there are any crappie in there as I have never fished it before. I would think you could catch anything in there though with it being part of the sippi. You never know what you are going to pull out of the sippi and it's backwaters. I will report back when I get out there.

I would always go back into pigeye with small boat. We caught several crappies, my biggest was 13 inches.+

so did u guys pull any fish out of the hole or what?

Still have not gotton out there but I may try it this weekend depending on weather.

Is little pig's eye subject to the same reg's as the sippi?? Or can you keep some fish if you so desire??

GE

Catch and release on pool 2 of the mississippi with the exception of crosby lake, pickerel lake, little pigs eye lake, and north star steel lake. So yes you can keep some fish, i wouldnt recommend it though

Ya, I wasn't interested in keeping any to eat. I just wanted to know if I somehow hooked into a 16 inch crappie or 30 inch walleye if I have the option to bring one home for the wall. It's a definite possibility on anything connected to the missi.

Wouldnt expect a 16inch crappie, but a 30in walleye is a possibility.

There's some hog crappies in the missi though. I know a 16 incher is a stretch, but I was just trying to make the point that I would only be keeping something far superior to the norm. You never know on the missi!!!! \:D

GE

If little pigs eye is an exception to the catch and release rule, wouldn't it then fall under the normal regs? Crappies would be okay to keep, but you'd have to release that 30" 'eye. Good luck if you get out there...I've been wanting to get out there this winter, but haven't found the time.

Originally Posted By: GoggleEye
What would the walleye regs be then??

He's just saying the walleye season is closed now.

Oh yeah, I was just speaking in general. Yes, you would obviously have to throw the wally back now, but a couple months from now, he's free game!! I plan on doing some trolling in there come May and June if there are not other boats in there. I'll report back if I get out there anytime soon. Good luck all.

GE

Sorry, I thought you were talking about hitting it this weekend.

And, I really don't mean to be a downer here, but the "little lake" southwest of Pig's Eye, near the main river channel is NOT Little PE. LPE is a small lake located to the northeast of PE, connected to PE by Battle Creek (I think). I did some searching and found it labeled on the Ramsey Washington Metro Watershed District website.

With all the people reading these post about this super lake that holds monster walleyes and thinking it was LPE, I'd hate to see anyone get busted for keeping 'eyes out of the wrong lake.

If I'm wrong, correct me, but I would think the Watershed District would know.