• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoggleEye

• CrappieFshr651

• kingspade651

• hovermn

Any ideas on how to get on pigs eye? the DNR data says the lake is only 4 feet deep. Has anyone been on the water in the summer to identify some deeper holes?

There was a post last year about pigs eye. Some guys tried fishing it but never found water deeper than a few feet. There are probably some better places to spend an afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

I was out there last year. found 2-3' deep water under the ice. nothing but muck. I would be willing to take a walk out to the "other" lake out there and go for some white bass, if anyone is interested.

Weekends are pretty much out, but I'm good any weekday afternoon. Last year, we tried to get something together, but it fell through. Let's get it going this year!

I've fished it by boat. It is/was only 4 feet deep in most areas I searched. We 3-way trolled the outlet creek directly from Pigs Eye into the next smaller open area - which is about 30 feet deep. We did catch walleyes on the creek between the two though. It is moving water in this area, so you probably will not be able to ice fish it.

Seen the topic header and thought everyone was waxing a little nostalgia about Pigs Eye Beer. Good Stuff

Spearing may get a little tough. 4ft of water - 1plus ft of ice = 3ft or less of water to spear in.

Next can you see bottom?

Quote:
I would be willing to take a walk out to the "other" lake out there and go for some white bass, if anyone is interested.

Throw your ice gear in the boat and beach the boat up there. You can get to it from the main channel, a lot less walking. Plus if the fish aren't going in that "other" lake you can always find fish in the river.

is that other lake out there you're referring too the little one connected to pigs eye? If so i have fished that lake in the summer and its something else. I have caught a fair share of trophy 6lb+ walleyes of there. There's such a defined weedline in there and i think fish get trapped in there. I've marked 33fow in there. Getting out there and putting tip ups along that would line would be sweet i have a feeling. If anyone is willing to go out there lemme know.

I could be wrong, but i thought there was a road that ran along the west side of pigseye. If there is, and there's parking somewhere, it would be within short walking distance

Yup! There is aroad that runs along the west side of it. You can park at the end of it. I've done it many times, if there is a lot of snow this walk sucks. The channel that runs out of this lake and into pig's eye. was never safe for walking. There is current everywhere back there! We always had to drag the gear thru the woods a little ways to get on the lake. Yea there are white bass back in there, eye's too. I'll never understand it but we never got crappies in the winter, only in the fall.

So there is a way to icefish it then, thats sweet. How much current is back in that lake itself? How thick do you think the ice would be right now? I would never trust walking on the creek either

I've never ice fished this area but have summer fished it plenty, there's a good amount of current dumping into this little lake. I'd bring your early season gear for sure. Good luck!

If anyone wants to try and check this lake out sometime on a weeknight, I'd be willing to go. I don't really want to try it by myself, not knowing how much ice is back there and other unforeseen things. If there are eyes in there, I am up for an adventure, get a hold of me.

[email protected]

GoggleEye

I'm up for an adventure any day/evening next week other than Tuesday. Would anybody else like to meet up next Wednesday? 4:30PM? Later?

I cant imagine the ice is too bad out there, but like someone else said, bring your early ice gear, including the ice spikes. And drill a few holes as you venture out checking ice thickness. The lake drops off fairly quickly and there's a weedline with little to no structure. So just find the weeline, stick close to shore and stay mobile. Good luck!

I'm game for next wednesday...IF people show. Was a little disapointed last year when I was alone. Didn't venture very far.

I'm off work by 2:30 in Woodbury, so anytime after that works for me. I'd rather not get out there too late. Once dark, it'll be a pretty dangerous place, IMO

my email address is [email protected] If we get a group, lets exchange info to keep in touch incase something comes up.

Not to smart to advertise a 15 acre spot on the internet. Sometimes I wish people wouild realize the power of this site.

This may be just my opinion, but the combo of CR on Pool 2 and the difficulty in accessing this site puts this one a bit lower on my concern scale. I have a honey hole that's about the same size as this one, but wouldn't dream of advertising it at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that this thread posses a threat to this particular spot. But, I have been known to be wrong.

This spot is CPR only, right?? It's part of the mississippi so you would have to release everything. What harm does that do to the fishery?? I am game for next wednesday, but I work till 4:30. I could possibly get off an hour or two early. I have never been to this spot before, so I don't have a clue about it. I could bring a snowmobile if that would make anything easier with getting in there. Don't know if it's possible to use one or not or if it would even make things easier, but I could bring it if need be. Let me know if anyone is going to meet wednesday evening. I'm in.

GoggleEye

I believe the C&R rule applies to walleye/sauger/pike/muskie/bass...I'm pretty sure you can still keep crappies, white bass, sunfish, perch, etc.

I sent you an email Hoverman. Yes it is catch and release for walleyes, but that doesn't mean everyone everyone follows the rules. People have tried to take large fish out of pool 2 in the past and were confronted about. Unfortunately some big fish were not able to be revived and released after the education of the rules.