• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I finally find the crappies on some structure and they are stacked on top of each other and won't bite. I tried minnows and wax worms. I have also tried jigging, all with the same results. They swim up to the bait, look at it and swim away. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

are you marking fish on a vex or seeing them with a camera? if your using just a vex; they could be biting so light you might not even see your bobber move before they spit the bait. or they just might not be hungry! we've been getting a good crappie bite on larger fat heads right now; maybe upsize the bait? also they could be seeing something they dont like in the tackle; line or a split shot too close or something. crappies are picky!

It sounds like you already have the hardest part, finding the stacks of crappies, taken care of. There are a few things that you can try when your crappies are in a somewhat negative mood. I always take a small plastic, like a ratso or a shrimpo, and tip it with a half or smaller piece of a wax worm. If a half doesn't work go with a smaller piece yet. Sometimes it seems like just the taste of a waxie works even better than a whole one. Now if you have a vexilar I would also ditch the camera altogether. I've had times when I'll have the camera in the water and the fish won't bite but when the camera gets pulled, BOOM. Now a spring bobber is almost a must have when fishing crappies because like mentioned above, there are times when you won't feel the bite. Many times if a fish is sitting at the same level of my bait I will just set the hook. Sometimes you swing and miss but many other times you pull the fish in. There are many little things you can try when you get out. Every time something doesn't work you are one step closer to finding what does work. Give a few of these methods a shot and post back how you do.

I have tried a small jigging spoon with a minnow head, then a wax worm on it. Plain yellow hook and minnow, also wax worm. I am gonna try a small jig and minnow next. I only got out 1 time during the day since I found this spot, so I am hoping Saturday to get a good chance on trying differant things. There is bluegills mixed in and perch also.

Have you tried plastics? You may want to call upon panfish pro's like Corey Bechtold, Matt Johnson or Tyler Holm on the forum for some suggestions. Those guys and pannies go hand in hand or should I say hook in mouth! But I would suggest plastics as a try.

With stacked crappies normally the ones on the bottom will be more neutral. Target the upper ones. Take note, I said normally, not always.

If you are going after the higher ones, and you see them on the camera lookin but not bitin, then change. Myself, I'll go smaller and more finesse, but only for a short while. I've found if the smaller finesse jigs aren't getting it done go big. Yes, I said that. If the smaller jigs arn't doing the trick, then go big.

Good luck!!!!

Maybe your bait it too big already? I rarely use anything larger than a #10 usually #12 or 14 and sometimes in extreme situations #16, but I do fish where there is alot of pressure. Have you tried going horizontal? If you try this make sure your jig doesn't spin and is completely horizontal this is critical. Im not a fan of any type of live bait and rarely use it. Plastics are always the first thing I go to. I was also thinking the camera might be the reason they wont bite i've seen it many times the fish will come in to investigate the camera but they also only investigate your bait. If you are looking to give yourself another slight edge try using some scents they do work and can be the difference between catching them or not. I'm no crappie expert but these are all things that have worked for me in past.

Your presentation needs to be down-sized. I would recommend a #8 Shrimpo or Ratso tipped with "zilch" and get mobile as your first option. Otherwise, take a look at Fiska Jigs, manufactured from tungsten. They are a small profile jig that fall fast and have a nice, controllable action. Tip this jig with a piece of wax worm or multiple euro-larvae and your success rate will go up.

No problem; happy to help. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good think you didn't ask about a budget. grin.gif

Quote:

Good think you didn't ask about a budget.
grin.gif

Yeah no kidding. If it looks good to me it's likely in a tackle pouch somewhere in the box and that goes for jigs as well as plastics.

Quote:

Agree'd on the plastics, now when are we gonna hit some gils krull????!!!!! I am ready!!!

Im hitting them tomorrow hopefully, but im thinking about leaving the honey hole and hitting another traditional but so far unfished hot spot. you should know how it went tomorrow night. Then sunday either Sarah or back to the "spot".

Don't forget about line, A buddy and I were fishing bluegills this past weekend in clear water, thin invisible line was the difference of a look or a bit, My rod was rigged with 2 lb test where his was about 6 lb, same jig same bait same ice shack, I out fished him 20 keepers to 1.

I am gonna have to invite one of you guys to the house. They were stacked in there again, and no bites. However, I haven't got the lures I ordered yet in the mail.

Hunter76...sounds to me like you found the honey hole in that lake...from what I know about it..there is no structure to speak of..glad to hear you found it..now it sounds like you just need to take a quick lesson from some of the more experienced fisherman in the area

be ready to fish with 50 more people now that the lake was mentioned shocked.gif now that you know the fish are there i'd get rid of the camera

There is a bunch of houses together on the north end but thats not where they are at. Not saying that they don't swim through there, cause they do. Its not where they are held up. U would think the walleyes would hang out where i am at but I have not seen any during the day yet.

Hunter,

I am sure you have tried everything but the kitchen sink, but here is my $0.02 (most of which others have hit on already).

We were running into very similar difficulty on a lake in the Willmar, MN area, Vex-ing the heck out of fish, getting lots of visits, but few takers. Initially, we were set up a little bigger, knowing that the 'eyes were around. Since we had been having luck on another lake with dorsal-hooked minnows, either on a glowing ice jig (size 10) or blade type lure, that was the presentation we were using.

Finally, after hours of watching marks get bigger and smaller, I decided to test a theory. I switched to lip-hooking a minnow on one of my favorite glowing ice jigs. Almost immediately, I started getting hits galore while jigging, and also getting robbed.

Thus, I believe something to the effect of "I will show those <insert appropriate inappropriate phrase here> fish, see if you can steal THIS!" was said as I reached down into the minnow bucket to get one of few crappie minnows that had mixed in with this batch of fatheads (about 1.75" long).

That seems to have done the trick. We are now catching fish consistently, and the smaller the minnow, the better. (It also helps that I have a vex now to 'see' what is going on down there.) I have had better luck jigging, while my fishing buddy has had good luck with a bobber setup that is almost neutral bouyancy.

They started getting finicky again last night, and the 'hard to get' game worked--once one became interested, I had to make them work hard to get to it, and then BAM!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the time of day. Unreal as it may seem, the fishing forecast on, of all places, weather.com has pretty much been dead on as far as the bite is concerned. During the week, when I get a chance to head out after work, I am usually set up and fishing by about 5:00, and end up leaving around 9:00-9:30. When I get there, I usually am able to entice a few, but then there is a lull before the next period of obvious activity. I can see it on the sonar, so I am guessing it would be clear as day on the camera.

Again, just my $0.02. Stick with it, as figuring out the puzzle is half the fun.

Good luck!

Crappy