• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I asking around for ideas on a new shack. I need quick set up, sturdy, and roomy. Looking to spend $250 or less. What would you guys go for. I really want to check out the Eskimo Quick Fish 3. Anyone seen one of thoose.

Tipup101,

If you're looking for a 1-person portable and can find another $50.00 to add onto your budget, I recommend calling Reel Fishing and Tackle in Madison Lake, MN. They have an Otter Den that includes the house, sled, seat, and cover for $300.00. This is a steal for such a quality product!

I agree with Jamison. The Otter Den is a very wel built house. One cannot beat the quality of their tub as it is a very tough , long lasting tub.

Reel Fishing & tackle would also be a very good shop to deal with.

Yep I have one lot's of room, but it's a bit heavy to lug around. laugh.gif ( thats when you have it full of gear ) not bad if you have another buddy to help. other wise a atv works sweet.

Defenitally get an otter. I have both clams and otters. Otters are way better built. Better canvas, tub, poles and all. There all expensive though. For just a one man fishtrap it is 400. What a joke. The black flip up otters are the way to go. Coolers work good in the seatless ones too.

Yea My uncle has an otter! It's nice. But not worth the money. I baby my ports. I have a 1987 clam 2 man that i love but only use it up north or when i'm fishing over night. You can fit a cot in that think. But it is such a chore for short trem trips. My other shack was a Walmart special for $80. I got 7 years out of it the tarp is mostly help together by duct tape now. Plus the wife thinks its a little to small. So what I'm saying is i need a shack for short weekend trips. Nothing to fancy. Thanks for the tip I'll give the otters another look.

I diasgree. Otter products are worth the money. You would be less worried about "babying" your equipment, I know that. smirk.gif

You can surely buy whatever brand portables you choose. But, for the money, you cannot beat the durabillity of an Otter. Yes, there are portables out there for less moneey, but not built like the Otter tub or their tough, hard to bend poles. I would agree with you, take another look at the Otter line of portables and then the others and I believe that you will see the difference in the quality of the portables.

Good luck in your search.

I have 2 Shappel S4000's and I wouldnt trade them for the world. I hate the newer DX4000. Too much play in the canvas. You may have to have an S ordered in to somewhere, but I think it falls in your price range.

Pluses- carpeted floor, plenty of room for 2 people, easy for one person to set up pretty quickly, folding ski's on the bottem make it effortless to pull across the ice, bucket holders are nice to keep your stuff from sliding around while its folded up, very easy to heat and well sealed.

Minus- You will create a few new words if you are setting it up by yourself in a moderate or higher wind, not super mobile like a slide house, have to load and unload it, where a sled house you just leave stuff loaded up. Condensation is plentiful. Last thing, plastic covering in the ends where you snap the poles in is a hole looking for a place to happen if you are not careful. Otherwise house is rock solid.

Not sure if you want a suitcase style or not, but if you are open to it, I LOVE mine.