• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Equipment Donations

bonefish

My dad recently passed away, and has left a bunch of fishing rods, reels, and tackle. It's all good and usable items that would be great for an organization that can make use of it. Many items in the range of berkely rods, ugly sticks, guide series rod combo's, tons of panfish tackle, etc. I don't think I'd be exagerating it I put the estimate at 20+ combo's. My dad was like a grandpa to everyone that took every kid in the neighborhood fishing after he retired. I've got more than enough (don't tell my wife) stuff right now as it is, so I'd like to donate it to a group that can use it to take kids or challenged people fishing. Any suggestions?

We will be asking for donations here in Ely of fishing things. But it wont be posted till closer to summer. We want children who are going through chemo, radiation.. but still have good counts to go outside, to get them out fishing. We want to work with Cancer and other childhood diseases. Fishing is relaxing and doesn't use a lot of energy, and some children don't have much after treatments.

And also this keeps the family together by doing something as a family after repeated doctor visits and stays in hospitals. Family time together is very important. Fishing is great for the family.

Bonefish, sorry to hear about your Dad. Thanks for your generosity, I hope your Dads gear gets put to good use. I am sure it will. Happy New Year!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Donating them is a great thing to do. If you call the DNR they will steer you in the right direction. I know a lot of Parks use them for FIN.

Thank You. I appreciate the kind words and the donation ideas. I'm really looking forward to making something positive out of this difficult situation.

Kallista, being a cancer survivor myself, and as a result having been around children fighting cancer in clinics and hospitals, I truly understand your cause. I get to the Lake Vermillion and Ely area at least 2-3x each year, and I could very easily bring some of the items up there. Please send me an email (address is in my profile) with more info on your needs and timing and I'll see if I can coordinate something with you.

First: So sorry to hear about your dad. I know where you are coiming from though as I lost my dad recently as well.

Second: Dang, I can not remember his name right now but there is a Michael? on this site that takes kids out fishing. He might be able to put it to good use as well. Dang that makes me mad, our Legion Club has donated to his organization as well and can not remember the name of that either. When the light comes on I will come back and post. Have a good one././Jimbo

Bonefish: Sorry for your loss.

Have you heard of Lets Go Fishing? Started in Willmar-Spicer? Its for Seniors,Disabled.Its a great program that get elders out FREE OF CHARGE.

http://lgfws.com/

Please check it out.

What a great way to honor your Dad!! cool.gif

I remember... It is our own Cyberfish, Michael Thompson. He takes kids out fishing with the gem fishing organization. Their web site is gemfishing.org Have not seen any posts from him in a while, it must be a summer thing maybe. You could do a search on this site to find him though. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Didn't Ron Schara have something like this also? You could maybe check out his site also.

Quote:

We will be asking for donations here in Ely of fishing things. But it wont be posted till closer to summer. We want children who are going through chemo, radiation.. but still have good counts to go outside, to get them out fishing. We want to work with Cancer and other childhood diseases. Fishing is relaxing and doesn't use a lot of energy, and some children don't have much after treatments.

And also this keeps the family together by doing something as a family after repeated doctor visits and stays in hospitals. Family time together is very important. Fishing is great for the family.

Wow, Kallista, what a great program! Way to go. I sure hope when you get this going you post your needs here. I'm sure you will get a huge response from the FM family.

Don't Gander stores collect used fishing equip. for some kids programs?

Quote:

Kallista, being a cancer survivor myself, and as a result having been around children fighting cancer in clinics and hospitals, I truly understand your cause. I get to the Lake Vermillion and Ely area at least 2-3x each year, and I could very easily bring some of the items up there. Please send me an email (address is in my profile) with more info on your needs and timing and I'll see if I can coordinate something with you.

Sent and with a bit more info too

Thanks

DonBo

the year my son was born here, it was dec 2 1989, 3 other kids born around the same time has cancer. My daughter born dec 3 1990, yep they are 1 year 1 day apart.. 2 other children born around the same time has cancer, one had seizures. So i a not sure why there are so many. Most have moved away over time to Duluth, St marys hosp is a saint to us, they saved my daughter, and some didn't make it.

But when a child has a low immune system, they cant go and play in a park like other children, so getting together with other like children sharing the friendship with others, having a good time, talking about they fears and helping each other with that and getting out is very important. I had to home school my kids cause my daughter with her seizures and health wouldn't go to school and she wasn't up to date with shots as well. And for parents to get out with their child and do something fun, away from needles and docs and hosps, its very important..

Fishing takes away the fears, the pain and puts a smile on their face, if only for that one day till they go again..

When you get your plan going let me know if you need boats. I am on Lake Vermilion and have a rental fleet. I would be interested in donating some boat time to your cause. That is if you want to fish Lake Vermilion. [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

kALLISTA

WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU NEED HELP ON ANY OCCASIONS THIS SEASON

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD PFOGRAM AND MY NEIGHBOR AND MYSELF WOULD BE INTERESTED IN TRAVELING UP IF WE COULD BE OF ASSISTANCE.

MIGHT HAVE A FEW COMBOS SITTING AROUND THAT COULD USE A NES HOME ALSO

THIS IS S GOOD SITE AND AM VERY GLAD TO SEE PERSONS SHOWING CONCERN AND ABILITY TO KEEP EVERYONE FISHING