• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

Well, I finally got a map out of the Three Rivers Park District, and what a piece of crap it truely is. There is not one piece of info on this map that is any different from the other maps I have. There is no GPS info. It doesn't show any humps out there that are shown on my other maps. Its very small and hard to read.

If I get around to it, I may re-question them, but for now -- I'm just pissed cuz they told me they had a map meeting the requirements I specifically described to them. Plus, (I can't remember his name, but it is from this thread) said he has a map from the district with the good information.

Waste of time ....

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• sandman469ss

• moby1

• MedicineMan

That was me Gman. The map I have(hard copy) shows islands in definition that the DNR map does not have. Its not Gods gift to the map industry, but its sure a lot better than the DNR one. Now I cant say I have ever seen any other maps besides the DNR map. I never said it had GPS spots on it. I said they made it with GPS and depth finder, so it should have every little nook and cranny identified.

I'll see if I can get the map scanned at work and then if I can, I'll email ya it and you can let us know if its the map you have.

Got out last night just as it started to rain. Looked like it was going to blow over, West side was sunny, East was gloomy then the thunder and lightening started. Parked under some trees so as not to attract a head sizzler and to wait it out, but it kept going, so I headed in. Just as I got the boat loaded I saw the wall cloud and the sirens started and they announced a possible right on Medicine. Fun Time grin.gif
For anyone wanting the LLs on the lake, I have the lakemaster software and I've marked 5 places where there are humps on the main lake, and one hole west of the beach. I've checked 3 of the spots and they have been pretty accurate. About the only difference in my map and the DNR's, is mine is color, otherwise it doesn't show anymore structure.
If you want the Coords, shoot me an email. [email protected], and I'll shoot ya a color map with the coordinates marked as soon as I can.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

Sandman, Didn't your mother tell you it was a bad idea to get under a tree in a storm?

As for BigLakeBa$$, Don't believe a word he says. The guy has no fishing ability whatsoever!

Anyone been out lately? I was thinking about hitting her this Sunday. Last week Moby1 and I found dem bass on the outer weededge.

couldn't get anyone to go with this morning on short notice but will probably make it out and meet up with ebass tomorrow. I can't believe the rain held off. Oh Well.

Made it out with ebass and friends. Few ok and one nice bass. I caught 3 snakes. Unbelievable ignorance of the other boaters. Wasn't too bad until after 11. Obviously they can't read, don't care, or are dumb. Few going across the lake at full boar. It drove me nuts to go end to end at 5mph. When I was driving out I passed the big Sheriff water patrol rig. I bet he makes quite a bit of $$ for the county today :+)) Good Luck
lets do that again soon!

Moby1,

What kind of boat are you in? I too left Medicine when the Sheriff was pulling in. I was in the tan/black Crestliner with the tiller. I got a few snakes today with one 4 pounder. Lots of baitfish clouds on the graph. Put the Aqua-View down and found that they were a mixture of perch and crappie and maybe bluegill but the were small and it was hard to tell.

giant jackpot
I had the tiny Lund WC 12 and the red dakota xcab. Ebass just picked up a boat at end of last week. He had the Lowe johnboat with Merc 25 and green Mazda(???) with a topper. Since he has no internet access and vacation this week, he pulled in a beautiful 19.5" largemouth.
Where were u seeing crappies. We pretty much hit the weededges all around the lake. Got there at 5am. First one there this time. Must've been because of the no wake. I'm usually third - fifth :+))
How well or how far can u see with the camera with the present conditions??

Giant,

She also told me it was a bad idea to smoke and to put on clean underwear everyday. If I turn it inside out, does that count as clean?

Did the appleriver thing this wknd so no fishing, but hopefully this week sometime.
Man, the hooohaaas and wooohooos you see on that river could make a guy want to try and fish it.

------------------

Moby1,

I did see you guys at the launch, you got out just before me. The crappies were out over 30 feet of water but they were just little ones, nothing worth catching. It’s always difficult to tell how far you can actually see with the camera but it must be about 5-8 feet right now. It’s kind of fun just to see what is going on. Most of my time on Medicine is spent trolling for pike. I have gotten some nice ones in the past few years. My nephew got a 36” a few summers ago and I sent the picture to the Star Tribune and they put it on the back page of the Wednesday sport section.

Sandman,

Please, no more news about your underwear. TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Hopefully making it out after work today in search of buckets & gators.

------------------

Made it out from 4:30 to 8. Pulled one northern and had 2 lazy strikes. The chocolate pup is gonna be a good one. Not only does her mother and father pull pheasants out of the hole alive, mine at 4 months retrieves northern when you throw them back! grin.gif
Didn't seem like anyone knew the lake was under High water restrictions. Was trying to be nice and warned 3 wisenhymers, and they said they knew now, then slapped the throttle all the way down. mad.gif
Went in about 1/2 hour later, and the waterpatrol was watching from shore and handing out tickets as people loaded. So beware.
The guys were really cool. He said they have 4 lakes under restriction that they are covering, and he wrote about 30 boats Monday night. They aren't babysitters. It's the boater's responsibility to know what's going on on any body of water they are on.
I also talked to him about the situation with the skiers in the bay to the west, and he said to just call 911 and tell them the water patrol is needed. They do their best to make it, but they're pretty busy.

Is anyone having any luck with bass on Medicine? All I've been able to get in the boat are northerns, no matter what lure I've tried. confused.gif

------------------

Did the Sheriff indicate how long the water restriction was going to be in place?

From a fishing standpoint this seems good - fewer/no pleasure boats or skiers.

Does the water patrol post the lake is under a 'no wake' restriction at the launch? Or how do they typically get the word out.

They post the NO WAKE signs at every dock and launch around the lake. People do see the signs, they're just not bright enough to follow them. SandMan, where are you fishing for Bass?

Sandman
the bass we've caught have been at various spots around the perimeter weedline. Some have been within 3 feet of shore. Been caaught on spinners, plastic worms, plastic lizards. No one trick has seemed to work any better than another. Wish I had a trick to tell that worked consistently. Good Luck. May try sarah for some bass. Anyone tried there latley?

One lure I've used that has always produced for me is a perch colored suspending shad rap. Trolling that around the edges of sunken islands has always produced for me. Caught a lot of good sized northerns with it too. With Medcine, I've noticed that all the bass I see caught from shore or near shore all tend to be fairly small in size. Maybe the big bass moved to a diferent area. For 8 years I fished Medicine and never did that well. I caught everything from shore. But the past 3 years I haven't caught anything from shore; and I've been kickin' the crap out of fish out in the mid lake humps. One thing I have noticed something about medicine that could explain this. Since 2001, the water quality in Medicine has been much better than in years past. The would promote weed growth where there wasn't before, thus giving bass more areas to hide in and changing their patterns. One other pattern I've discovered quite recently. The big bass (4 pounds and up) all relate to deeper water. I haven't caught one bass over 4 pounds in less than 15 feet of water. I don't know why, but they tend to hang on the drop offs.

They didn't say when they were lifting the restriction. The sign at the launch says if the water is over ?? feet, the restiction is in affect. There is a red flag next to the sign, meaning it's active, and they have little yellow signs on both sides of the launch.

MedMan,
I've tried cranks, spinners, buzzbaits, scumfrogs, you name it, I've tried to drowned it this year. Even my go to baits haven't produced. I've tried the 4 humps in the center of the main lake, and the bullrush patch directly east of the humps off shore. I've tried the bay west of the park launch, and I've tried all along the shore of the SW bay. I've gone deep and shallow, and have had good luck with the gators, but the buckets are killing me. The only halfa$$ luck I've had was in the bullrush/pads with a silver minnow & scumfrog, but even then it was only 5 or 6 lazy strikes one night. Nothing aggressive enough to end up on deck.
Maybe this just isn't my year.

------------------

Sandman, what time of the day are you fishing? I've noticed that the bass bite the best from 10AM to 3PM after that you can't buy a bite. Then the bass pick up again after 9PM

The no wake restrictions are going to be in affect for some time. There is a water marker at the **** of Bassett Creek where it comes out of Medicine. There is a line that say "High Water." I found out that the no wake restrictions are in effect as long as the water is at or above this line. Once the water goes below this line, it's another 3 days before they take the no wake off the lake. I was just at the **** this afternoon and it's a good inch above the line. Plus the rain that we had last night, it's going to be most likely another week before the no wake comes off the lake.

Ebass and myself went out on moday afternoon and caught a few fish(bass,pike,crappie and i hate to say it sunfish). We got almost everything on plastics except for a sunnie I caught on a crappie jig. Fishing was good right when we got there then slowed down we probably caught 12-14 fish in about 5 hours. People really do not follow rules and reg. as they were jet skiing, waterskiing, and not listening to the no wake throughout the lake!!! IDIOTS!!!! IDIOTS!!!!!!

No wake is off. The sign at the launch now says no wake within 300 feet of shore.

Got 12 pike today between 9:30 and noon. Spots 37, 33, 34, 57, and humps 3, 4, 5, and 6 all produced today. Biggest was 31 inches.

Went out yesterday from 12:30 - 7.
Nailed the first bucket at 12:45. Nice 4 1/2 lb fish. Ended at 7pm with 8 fish released and 3 for the table.
Finally got my mojo back.
All were caught in the pads and were good size fish.

Oh ya, if anyone finds a green scumfrog with a titanium leader on the west side of the west bay, could I at least get the leader back? wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 07-07-2003).]

I was out there yesterday too with my son from about 7:00 to 2:00 and didn't do very well, just 2 small bass. I was working the pads with spinners, plastics and buzz baits. May I ask what you were using Sandman?

Went there 6/29 5 bass biggest was 19.5" Ask Pike1 I mean Moby1. smile.gif

Went back on Monday 6/30 with Bill and didn't do that well. Small bass, not many hits. Went back on Wed 7/2 and I think 4 bass all smaller, well 1 was 16". (back of the boat was skunked (hehe)

I did try one midlake hump and marked fish but nothing on the DT10 Crank, or worm, or spinner, or... It was so hot and humid we went to the shady shore line and didn't get much there. She's a pressured lake for sure.

I do want to get back and work the humps. Might find a waldo out there to.