• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

You 2 just got me totally lost as to which humps you're talking about. Unless you're talking about a bigger area than I'm thinking, but then I'm still lost.
Going to try and make it out tonight if the weather coops.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• sandman469ss

• moby1

• MedicineMan

Sandman you crack me up smile.gif

Don't you have a map? There's a series of humps out in front of the reeds towards Frech park.

Then on the south side there's a big ol milfoil flat that has a nice sharp edge, maybe a good waldo spot in the fall/winter. You can't miss this one as the weeds are all the way to the surface. Looks like a good area, but I haven't caught anything there yet.

There's another hump on the sw side to, but I haven't fished that. I'm going to give that a shot to.

We should hook up soon and give it a shot. Thursday?? I'm sure on Friday you'll be chasing tail smile.gifAnd I'm not talking fishtales! I'm going for flats and channels on the MN river tomorrow. I have to mow the friggen lawn tonight though.

EBass, The weed hump as I call it. Is a good spring and early summer fishing spot. Other islands produce better as the season goes on. Islands with a really sharp drop seem to produce better as the summer goes on. The weed hump actually has the least sharpest drop of all the islands. The island thats north east of the big peninsula has a really sharp drop on the northeast side of it. Oh yeah, the islands that top out deeper produce a lot better then the islands that top out shallower.

EBass,
I have the Lakemaster program, and even the DNR map only shows 5 humps or islands. 4 of them are pretty much East of the peninsula on the main part of the lake, and the other is on the east side dirctly east of the point. If you're talking the reeds right by the park access, then you're reading a hump on a map differently than I am, and I need a different perspective on map reading.
Maybe I need to go out with you and MedMan and have ya show me a thing or 2. I'll supply the beer as long as you'll drink schmidt! wink.gif

I'd love to go Thursday, but I'm getting snipped today at 3, so will probably be on ice for a few days. shocked.gif Maybe next week, hopefully!

As far as the trim goes, I don't chase, it just finds me somehow. I have an understanding with them. I'm single because I choose to be. My mom doesn't tell me what to do, so neither will they. If they abide by the rules, maybe I'll throw them a bone when I'm done fishing! grin.gif You're kinda lucky being married, cause keeping things straight about more than one at a time is a pain. tongue.gif

Ya know, I fixed my mowing problem. Tuned the carb so it runs like a banshee. Surprised it doesn't blow up. Have to run to keep up. Turned an hour job into about 25 minutes. Gets ya out fishing quicker.

------------------

Sandman.
Hey now, I never said I was married. Just been with her for a little over two years. I don't hear wedding bells.

Any ways, back to more important topic -fishing.

Medicine Man knows the lake way better than I do. Only been out there 6 times or so. The hump off the reeds in front of French is out a little ways. There's a couple of them and according to MedMan there's three. And Medicine Man thanks for pretty much giving out your spots. I will spend some time out there. Maybe tomorrow since it's free parking smile.gif

Sandman,
Since you're going under the knife I'll do some exploring and see what I can find. Shouldn't be to hard, but so far I've been skunked on the humps. I just need to work them and keep working them. With CRANKS!!

I may need you to show me the lawm mower carb trick. My mower sucks, and the yard is HUGE.

Anyways, I'll hook up with anyone.(to go fishing) I'm not afraid. I met Tonka Boy, Moby, and Mr. Special so far. All real good people.

I tried the hump just east of the peninsula last night. Had a nort come up to stike just as I pulled the lure out. Using a terminator Heavy T, black with red Oklahoma blade.
Otherwise, missed a nort and a bass on the red/wht silver minnow.
Very busy place last night.

------------------

I got both my 19" & 20" bass on a silver minnow in the pads. Everytime I fish the open water I end up with nothing but northern, which isn't a bad thing either, but it'd be nice to hit the BIG buckets in the 7lb class once in a while.

You got a 20" out here? Well I suppose I got a 19.5. Probably same year class. Maybe even same mama. According to Medman they're on the humps to. I guess they're everywhere and inbetween. Nice lake full of surprises.

First off, there are 8 islands. There is an island 50-60 feet southeast of the reeds infront of French Park. This wold be the first island in the chain. The second island would be 50-60 feet southeast of the First islands, and this island is straight out from the big point. The third island is 70-80 southeast of the the second island, this island is straight out from Harty's North. The fourth island is right along the northeast shore. It's just a little northwest of Harty's North. The fifth island is a couple hundred feet east of the big point. If you line up between the House with the big front yard on the point and a radio tower thats behind Harty's east, you should come across it. The sixth island is northeast of big peninsula. The seventh island would be the big weed humps that almost everyone knows of. This humps is west of the east beach and Harty's east. The eighth island is north east of the big peninsula. But this island is straight out from where there is a little point on the peninsula. This island is also in line with the big weed hump.

SandMan, The way to catch big bass is to use big lures. Using a sivler minnow is going to catch you a lot of bass, but you're not going to catch a monster. Remember, a 7 pound bass isn't going to eat a 3 inch minnow, thats a snack to him. A big bass is going to eat a 8 inch perch. So if you wanna catch big bass you have to use big lures. You'll also catch some really big northern too. Oh yeah, I can't drink. It's kinda illegal from me. But I'd like to meet you or EBass sometime and talk fishin'. I'm thinking that we can meet at West Medicine Lake park sometime or something.

Nope, just the spinnerbait for about 20 minutes, then went over to the reeds.

------------------

Hmm, I caught that 19.5 on a spinner bait. Very shallow though just after the big water level raise.

I still think I'm going out tomorrow after work.

Medicineman’s comments about the big lures are misleading. While I would agree that the big lure big fish is a true statement at times it is not even close to the norm. How many “big” bass have been caught on a ½ ounce jig and pig? The jig and pig is not 8 inches long. I would hate to think I have to drag out my muskie lures just to catch a bigger bass. If you put that 3 inch crank right in front of a “big” bass he is going to hit it just as hard as an 8 inch crank.

Thanks for the info MedMan.
I never said I was using a small silver minnow. Sometimes I throw the muskie getter.

Giant, I just read an article on this very topic, and it was proven that a bass is more apt to expend the energy on 1 BIG meal rather than several small ones. I agree, if you put the small ones right on top of them, they will strike, but given the options, they'll travel farther for the BIG meal.
I'm kinda keen on what the buckets like, & I agree the bigger the better. My dad goes on a trip with his 2 buddies every year, and when he pulled out the frogzilla I got him for XMAS, they both laughed and said "what the hell do you think you're going to catch with that?" First cast, 6lb bass, and they had to make a run into the baitshop the next day so the other 2 could get one. I usually go over for 1 or 2 days with them, and after last year when I showed up late, skidded into a weed flat 20 yards from them and pulled 17 buckets in 45 minutes while they watched in amazement, I get my tacklebox raided as soon as I show up.

The surgery wasn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be, but the Boss said I should take the day off (paid) anyway, so I may just grab the painkillers just in case, and head out to try some of those humps.
May have to break out the good ole Bass Oreno's for the first time this year.

If ya see me out there Ebass, stop by and I'll share my info.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 07-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 07-17-2003).]

Ah yes, articles in fishing magazines. I am sure for every article on using big lures I can find one on downsizing lures. Don't get me wrong, I know there are times when a big lure is best but Medicineman made it sound like that was the only way.

Sandman, I'm going out there tonight. I have a jon boat with a casting platform on front. Probably the only jon boat out there. You have a ranger and are you bringing your pup with? I'll look for you and if I see you I'll make it a point to come over. I'm going to work the humps and if traffic is too bad I'll be on some shoreline. I don't know if I will have anyone with me.

I'll probably get there about 6-6:30.

I'm moving, but slowly so as not to cause any undo pain, so the dog will be staying home. I'm going to work the humps as long as I can stand it, then I'll move to the beds.
I just think it's more of a challenge to get em out of the weeds/pads/reeds than open water.
I have a bald melon, so I'm not hard to miss.

------------------

Medicine Man,
I saw a post from several days ago about a 42 inch pike from Med.... Wow!
Any pics of that big girl?

Sandman,
OK, I hope tpo see you out there. I hope the weather stays like it is to. Nice overcast day.

Jackpot, I never said that you wouldn't catch any big bass with smaller lures. I've caught my fair share of big bass while using a small lure. If you put any kind of lure right in front of a bass it will most likely suck it in. The biggest factor in the size issue is the weather. Weather plays a huge role in fishing. Right after a cold front the best lures to use are small. Jigging works great right after a cold front. But right before a cold front comes through, or after a week of stable weather. Bigger lures tend to produce bigger fish. Studies have shown that if fish have the choice between a meal thats 5-15% of it's body lenght, or 20-30% of its body length. 90% of the time they took the bait thats 20-30% of there body length. That doesn't mean that they won't take the small bait, they just prefer that larger one. Here's a good example of what I'm trying to say: Let's take me for example. If someone puts Burger King food in front of me I'll scarf it down. But if someone gives me the choice between Burger King of Red Lobster. I'll take Red Lobster 9 out of 10 times. I'll like Burger King, but I prefer Red Lobster.

But the more important question is where are the pictures of the 42 incher?

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 07-18-2003).]

I did make it out there last night for a little bit. My engine is making some weird noises. The sound is coming from my lower unit. Either my water pump went out or something more serious. Oh and I hurt my back trying to push my boat off the trailer. Yep, first time launching it by myself. Not a good night. I did manage 3 small bass, and of course the two that got away were bigger.

SO I'll be outa comish here until I figure out what the deal is or just take it in. Any mechanics out there?

K boys, this thread has been going way to long to turn it into one of those.

Out from 2-9 yesterday. 3 norts, 8 good bass.
Worked mostly the second hump by French, at least I think it was the 2nd hump. Still can't find a definite island, more like points that run out from shore. Worked the east shorline and pulled a couple. Missed about nine.
One of em stole my bubblegum buzzbait! mad.gif
Still trying to figure that one out, because the locking snap was still locked and there was no way it could come off unless the titanium wire broke. So if ya see a dink wearing a bubblegum skirt, tell him I want it back. grin.gif

Ebass, think I saw you out there about 7:30 working the humps by the reeds. We were making our way down the east shoreline.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 07-18-2003).]

Just someone stirring the pot again.

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 07-18-2003).]

Yep that was me. I was sticking around the launch because my motor was acting up.

I looked on my map and I saw all 8 humps that MedMan spoke about. I did troll around the three in front of the reeds by the launch. I marked fish but no bite. Well Rob had a couple thumps but nothing to show for it.

I think we were actually on the edges of the point that comes out from shore to the SE of the reeds. It looked like about where you were sitting. Supposedly there is another island to the east of that about 200ft from shore, but I didn't find it using the coordinates from the lakemaster program.
We did the best sitting on the edge in 10ft casting into the weed flat there with spinnerbaits and a 4" bass oreno, just rippin em through the weeds.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 07-18-2003).]

I haven't tried on the east side, so I don't know exactly where that hump is. But I did see it on the map. Might have to tootle around to find it.

I caught one in the weeds on a spinner, other wise I stuck with the senko and got and lost a few more. Only fished for a bite. I wasn't in the best mood with my back hurting then the motor squealing. I'm going to be a land lover until I get it fixed. A mechanic that I spoke to thinks it's the bearings under the impellar. Great, I don't want to take off the lower unit. Friggen hard to get back on while in the proper gear.

Did you see that sunset! Best one I've seen in a long time. Took a pick with 4 mallards in the background and a buzzbait running across the top of the water. Hope that turns out.

Jackpot, the roll of film that has the 42 incher. I'm only half way through that. I'll try to use up the rest of the film this week. I'm going out this week, most likley tuesday,but I am getting out. When I'm out I'll right down the GPS coordinates and I'll put them on this site. The islands can be a little confusing.