• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

To all reading the Medicine forum:

I would like to suggest that we have our little fishing get together on Saturday, July 19 at 07:45 AM (fishing will be from 8:00 to 11:00). It will probably be easiest to meet on the water so I suggest we all hook up just outside of the buoys at the boat launch. I’ll be there plenty early. I have a black/off white 17 foot Crestliner and I’ll have an American flag on my stern light for easy identification.

Please bring along something to write on to keep track of your fish, and don’t forget the ruler!!!! If you have Motorola walkie talkies bring them as well. We will fish for three hours and then meet back at the launch area to compare lists and determine the winning team. The prize for winning will be bragging rights on the message board! If you want to get in on a big fish pool we can discuss that before we hit the lake.

Rules are simple. We will fish on the honor system so just measure the fish and write it down in your notebook and we will compare notes at 11:00. Since this is a multi species deal we will not need to keep track of weights. Also we will measure in half inch increments and no rounding up! If the fish is 20 ¾ it will be 20 ½ in the notebook.

1 sunfish (over 7")=10 points
1 crappie (over 9")=10 points
up to 6 Northern (over 20")=10 points each
up to 6 Bass (over 12" any species large, small, rock)=10 points each
up to 4 walleye (over 14")=20 points each
muskie (over 40")=60 points each.
Also there are trophy points for larger fish which double the point value.
Trophy pike is 34", Bass is 20", Walleye 24 ".
Bullhead is minus 5

Most of this is off the top of my head so if anyone has other ideas let us know and we can incorporate them. I want to keep this as easy as possible since the main point of this is just to get together and have fun!!!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• sandman469ss

• moby1

• MedicineMan

Gents,

I like the thought of the little "tourney" on Medicine. As a bass only man, I would change the scoring to bass = +10 points, walleyes = +1 point and everything else = -5 points.... I realize that this might not suit everyone else, so feel free to critique this. On a serious note; we have a point scale on our church league that we are modifying currently. I will offer that up for evaluation if wanted.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

The 19th! AAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKK! Well fellas (and or ladies) don't think I can make it. My skirt billowed up over my head :+))and I am being forced to go to some belly-dance performance or some such crap on that day ( my wife is into belly dance BIG TIME! Guess I shouldn't complain about that too much though :+)) Actually now that I think of it I don't know if its day or hopefully evening.Guess Ill have to play it by ear as usual but hope to be there. How many points for smallest boat? just kiddding

Giant J,

I think I can make that date, but looks like the rest of the regulars can't. I too am a bass fisherman. Can we just make this a bass tourney or are there crappies lovers to?

Or how about pike n bass?!?!?! I won't even try for a sunnie ever, nor are the crappies over 9" in that lake which I won't try for either. Maybe some, but not many.

Bass over 12" sure. Plenty of 12-15" bass.
Pike over 20" I'm sure that's not a big deal either. Lots of pike in this lake to. Waldo's aren't common and ski's don't exist. I agree on the bullhead - lol smile.gif

You're right the main point is to have fun. I'll be there this sunday EARLY prefishing my first friendly tourney smile.gif

As a reminder I have an Army Grn 14' Lowe Jon boat with 25H merc. Look for the guy going Woo Hoo over bigger waves. LOL in my little boat.

I'm down, but we may need to change the date. Or try to start a little league on a certain weekday evening. That would be cool. Like going to a softball game, but different.

Looks like we need to change the date. Any suggestions?

Good Idea Ebass (the league idea!)Although who am I to say that when I don't make it out nearly as much as a lot (WIFE).
Walleye-gfa My wife takes lessons from a coworkers wife. They are held at Rockford community center saturday mornings from 10-11 (hence why I get out mostly on saturday mornings). A lot of the class do it for fun and excersise. I think there are only one or two instructors in the metro and mostly in the city and a lot more $$. Only $7 a class I think. Wife is in it plus practices nightly for at least an hour. I know this is not a dance forum but posted here so if anyone else can get the wife or girlfriend in it DO IT! At least it's gaurenteed fishing time as well as other fringe benefits!!!!!!!"+))
Still hoping to get out Tomorrow or Sunday morning. Today is the mother in laws 50th so stuck going to Chanhassen Dinner theatre tonight to see The Sound of Music. That should be worth a kitchen pass for sure!
Good Luck!

You better get more than 1 kitchen pass for that!

Yuck! Just think of the sound of a bucket hitting a buzzbait and you might make it through.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

I can't make it either. It's my grandfathers birthday that day and we're taking him out to breakfast. Any other day would of worked but that one.

Moby give me a shout at [email protected] my wife used to do the belly dance thing for exercise and has not since weve been here since she cant find a class...

Wally

and NO you should not complain !!!!

Also, cant make it (but want to) its a preordained camping day with other families...

Wally

I will also be unavailable more than likely.
Have surgery Wednesday shocked.gif and don't think I'm going to want to be standing or moving around that much that soon after.

Sounds like the end of July would work better and give people time to plan.

I dated a chic that did the belly dancing once, YuuuuuMeeeeee! wink.gif

------------------

Yeah you are right! That should be worth a few kitchen passes. Well gotta go sit at the sale. Hope you were all out hammering fish while I was hammering sale signs at 5:30am

Walleye_GFA U have mail or should have. I think I emailed you last night or the day before.

Motherinlaw is in the air! Hope I can get out and fish soon.

Sunday morning report fishing with Mr. Special and his friend and myself and Rob in my boat.

It was slow to say the least. Fished from about 5:15 to 10:15. I caught 3 or 4 bass. Only one worth mentioning. 18.25" piggie.

Mr. Special got bit off by northerns and his friend got a smaller bass and a 9" crappie on a bass jig???

I also went out to Steiger in Carver Co later on that day. I got 8 bass and 7 out them were on top water. All were smaller though. One was close to 16", but that's about it. Top water slop was the ticket for my. Can't say my boat since the back of the boat was skunked (whoops)

Out Saturday morning. Got a 4 1/2 pound bass, and a few smaller ones.

Thought I had a monster dive into the weeds, but it turned out to be a 13 1/2lb snapper. Bast@#d mangled my favorite silver minnow.
That's gotta be worth at least 50 points.

Date went into overtime tongue.gif so I didn't make it Sunday morning, or afternoon.
Anybody have any luck?

------------------

Hey Guys, I too spend time on Medicine, but havent fished it much yet, I know Joe H. if that counts. What channel do you guy's use on the FRS radios?? I saw the CO was out on Saturday afternoon, up on the north end, anyone get pinched??...Kaz

Wasn't the CO, it was just a DNR guy doing the little survey thing.
He was nice enough to ask the skiers to get out of the West bay when I asked him to. 5 or 6 canoes, and 4 or 5 fisherman, and they still try to ski. Human slolam course. Incredible.

------------------

That back channel is a skier magnet. We were there on Sunday and two chicks were skiing. Both of them were a site for sore eyes if ya know what I'm saying? So I didn't mind waves vs the eye candy. smile.gif

I'm still trying to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

There were 2 out sunbathing in a canoe on Saturday in the west bay. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting backlashes when I went around them! grin.gif

------------------

Ah Sandman - LOL smile.gif Must be nice being single. I'm taken, but just cause I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu.
Can I get an AMEN?!?

Read about that 4.5 pounder. That's a biggie. Shallow or deep? Not looking for exact spot just general cover/structure?

My 18.25 was just off the reeds. Mr. Special spooked a biggun he said. Lots of carp jumping all around.

You can't beat the single life, it's kinda like ordering a sampler platter at outback.

I don't mind giving spots or lures, there are enough of them out there.
I was in the West bay throwing into the pads. It seemed there were more under the green scum than under the actual pads. I usually fan cast for a little while in each spot so I cover a good part of the area. I had a few back there that I just couldn't get out. They'd hit every 3 casts or so, but never end up hooked. I lost the tail on my twisters about 8 times to that.
Throwing it right up against the rush, and sometimes they were right there, other times they were 10 feet in.

------------------

Fellas,

I hit my honey hole on Sat with Lance. He got a 15.5" Smallie while I only got a wee little northern full of worms (or the black parasites) Then to top off the slowness my shear pin broke on my trolling motor. So we left and went to Fleet Farm and got a new prop/shear pin and went we to Medicine (so close) Sat night. Got some small bass on the docks, but all were small and that's the only place we could find them. It was busy out though.

Sun AM with Mr. Special we worked the "Claw" and got two tiny bass. Went to work the mid lake humps and Rob got one bite, but that was it. Worked the shore on the east and that's where I got the biggun. Then peaked at the water skiier chicks. Nice two piece! I think I need to do more fishing then going spot, to spot, to spot, then stare. smile.gif

EBass, What mid lake humps did you fish? What depth where you fishing? What type of lure were you use? What was your presentation? I just want to know why you never have luck working the humps while I kill them out there. I think it's the way you fish the islands that's making the difference.

MedicineMan,

Thanks for offering some help. OK the first hump is the one thats out in front of French. It's kinda two humps with a saddle in between. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Tops out around 10 feet. Sand a small rocks on the bottom. I was using a carolina rig. 1/2 oz weight then about 30" leader with a strike king wild thang tube. I also tossed a Rapala DT10 all over getting weeds here and there. Also tossed a texas rigged worm.

Worked the milfoil hump in front of Harty's to. I got one hit but I think it was a sunny. Oh a missed something on a spinner bait (pike) It's a nice weed edge that goes into 10ft pretty quick.

As of now those are the only two/kinda three humps that I've tried. I know there's some more, but I get frusterated then go back to the shoreline that gets POUNDED by everyone.

Yes Please help!! Want to meet me out there sometime soon?

MedicineMan,

Thanks for offering some help. OK the first hump is the one thats out in front of French. It's kinda two humps with a saddle in between. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Tops out around 10 feet. Sand a small rocks on the bottom. I was using a carolina rig. 1/2 oz weight then about 30" leader with a strike king wild thang tube. I also tossed a Rapala DT10 all over getting weeds here and there. Also tossed a texas rigged worm.

Worked the milfoil hump in front of Harty's to. I got one hit but I think it was a sunny. Oh a missed something on a spinner bait (pike) It's a nice weed edge that goes into 10ft pretty quick.

As of now those are the only two/kinda three humps that I've tried. I know there's some more, but I get frusterated then go back to the shoreline that gets POUNDED by everyone.

Yes Please help!! Want to meet me out there sometime soon?

EBass,I know what hump you're talking about. There are actually 3 humps in a row. The one you're talking about is the middle hump. First off, don't fish the tops of the islands, they rarely produce. The edges of the islands are were you catch fish. Fish 12-15 feet, the southeast end of the middle island produces the biggest bass. I'm talking lots of 5+ pound bass, plus very large northerns. When it comes to lures,
crankbaits!!!! Use large crankbaits, at least 3 inches long. The best are the deep divers. The best way to fish the crankbaits are to troll them around the edges of the islands. Also make sure that the bait occasionally hits the bottom.

I know I'm jumping in on this thread pretty late, but the post with the 18.25 inch bass got my attention.On the wall right above my computer desk is a mounted 22 inch,5 lb. largemouth caught in Medicine back in 1980.My biggest bass ever was here as well, and that one went 5 lb. 13 oz., caught in 1982. I use to hear rumors of 8 lbers. way back then, and that was long before the milfoil ever showed up. Medicine has always had big fish potential,although I haven't fished it since a long time ago.Caught both forementioned bass on purple plastic worms, one in a lily pad filled bay, the other on the deep side of a bullrush bed.

At least sounds like a few nice ones were caught. Any mor developments on the tourney? Anyone have plans for this week to get out. May be stuck again this saturday but sunday is open so far unless conditions are right to hit the river.Raining like a banshee right now. May have to do some rivering soon.
Ebass- did you hit your honey hole at all this weekend?

yes you can get an AMEN (hope the wife doesn't read this). Married life isn't bad. I think it has more benefits thatn drawbacks but that's just me and I don't have kids yet :+))I always have eye-candy to look at and belly-dance practice nightly to see.

Sounds like you guys had fun out there Sunday. I got stuck cutting firewood all weekend...no more storms please!!!! I even have grass under all that brush.

I don't know why I posted twice, oh well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll start using more cranks, but I did work the edges and on top to. I just need to be more patient and watch the fl-18 more and get a nice pic in my head on what it looks like under there.

I'll give it another shot or four and see what I can produce.