• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

Fish Head,

With the luck I've been having with bass, I went straight for my Go To baits.
None other than a red/white silver minnow with a 4" chart twister tail, and a frogzilla in either plain green, or green with yellow/red belly.
Tried different colored silver minnows when it got slow, but they only hit the red/wht. Maybe because the paint is in pretty bad shape from all the northern that silver minnow has seen through the years.
Did the trick yesterday, and does most of the time when all else fails me.
That's gotta be one of the all-time great lures period.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• sandman469ss

• moby1

• MedicineMan

Going out tommorow from sunrise to sundown. I'll report back if I do any good.

Went out again on Saturday. 12 more pike in 2.5 hours. Got 'em all in the usual spots. Spot 33, 37, 57, 56 were all good. Humps 3, 4, 5 were a little slow but hump 7 was on fire.

G J

What are you referring to, when you say "Spot 57"?

BigLakeA$$,

What is it worth to you to find out?

G_J,

How bout a beer!

You throwing top or bottom?

Gonna try and make it out tonight after work.

------------------

Part of the fun is finding them for yourself. Unless you don't find them then it's frusterating. In anycase I to will be going out there with Bill-E-Bazz tonight for a couple of hours. I'll post my results if any.

I figured that, mine are 27-32.
A small lake only has so much structure.
I sent a couple guys on here the map with the Lon/Lats for the humps.
Hope it helped.
Just about out the door.

------------------

Ahhhh
I figured it out.

G_J's little game, is his waypoints on his GPS. He sent me an email and fessed up. Now if he would share useable info on the forum, we wouldn't all be wondering what he is hiding.
His code numbers are the mid lake humps mainly. He won't divulge all the details(yet).

Made it out last night. Total was 5 bass in 2 1/2 hours. All small. Biggest was 15" that was under a dock. Missed a couple of bites to. Nice sunset last night.

Sandman, I didn't see you out there, but I did see an Alumacraft with a choc lab pup.

biglakeA$$ figured it out! I think most of you guys know exactly where the "spots" and "Humps" are! Just keep in mind that biglakebass is jealous that we are all able to get on Medicine more than him. :-) It is just killing him to see all of our posts detailing all of the fish we are catching and he is not catching! It is funny what jealousy can do to a person grin.gif

EBass,

I was out 4-8:30.
Didn't see you either. Didn't do very well til around 8. 3 norts, 1 bass, all small.
Getting tired of losing spinner blades to the norts. Brand new lure too.
onna have to restock.

------------------

Thats it Giant Jerkpot.
You got me nailed.

Why would I go to Medicine?
I went on my pond last night, and in 15 minutes I got a Walleye and 4 bass.

BigBa$$Lake,

That cannot be true since the pond you refer to is that little one in your front yard and it was only dug out a couple of years ago. Must be another jealous stretching of the truth grin.gif

I suggest that a friendly FishingMinnesota Medicine lake contest is in order. Who is in?

Wait, were you the guy fishing on the island that's northeast of the peninsula at around 7 o'clock?

Hmm, I don't think so. I got there about 6:30 or so and went to the south end and fished some docks, then went to the milfoil bar that's in front of harty's. Had one hit but felt like a perch or sunnie on the outer break. After the south end went to the east side and nada except for a bass that was the same size as my topwater lure. Then went over by French park and left due to the wake boarder. Headed out in front of the boat launch reeds and got bit off by a little pike I think. Maybe a bass, but probably a pike. I caught two bass 13" and 15" right away when I got there, then the rest were smaller and not many.

Looks like I might have to climb in MedMan's rig for a day.
Was that you with the bright orange Life vest on the hump right east of the point when a ranger pulled up like he was going to fish, and then went over to the reeds to the east?
You guy's are killin me.

------------------

Boys,

My idea of a tourney would be VERY informal. Biglakeba$$ is in a league and they have a point system that works well and allows for different species. I would think that we could either use the honor system where everyone keeps a written log of fish caught or if we all had 2 way radios (Motorola walkie talkies) one guy could keep the log for all. Either way, no big deal.

Sounds good to me. Just lay down the rules and I'll follow. I just think it would be fun. I heard a little info of this point system before. If I had a digi camera and digi scale that would be the ticket. I'm down and am usually free on weekday nights.

Or go on Sat or Sun EARLY morning, before all the skiers head out.

moby1,

I realize this is not a Medicine posting, but I just realized you are the guy with the parents that have the cabin on Big Sandy. Correct?

Fishing was great from 10 to 2. It started to slow to down from 2 on. It died once the cold fromt came through, which would of been 4 o'clock. I caught 14 northerns. 12 of them before 3 o'clock. 6 bass, all before 4 o'clock. Smallest fish I caught was a 3 pound bass. Largest fish I caught was a 42 inch northern. Took some pictures too, otherwise no one would beleive me. Caught everything in 12-16 feet of water, right on the drop.

42 inch pike? Sweet. Post the picture if you can. That has to be one of the bigger pike in Medicine.

I would be in for a little tourney. But I don't have a live well so I'm not sure how I could prove my little bass I caught. I'm sure I won't win since I've only fished there 6 times in my life, but it would still be cool to meet everyone and share tips/spots etc..(cough GPS coordinates) Moby1 you down? How would this work?

MedicineMan, what kind of boat do you have? I saw someone in a red lund or somthing like that on one of the humps. I was the guy yelling Woo Hoo, when I hit some waves. Flat bottom boat doesn't handle waves very well. I was in a 14' Lowe Jon with 25H merc tiller.

I'll keep my eye on this post.

Yup, that was me. I agree with you, your boat doesn't handle waves all too well. I'll post pictures when I get the film back.

Yup! that would be me. Biglakebass you were the one giving pointers to me (which are greatly appreciated). Unfortunatley I still haven't made it up there to try it out. This afternoon going out to MilleLacs with work on 6-10pm launch.
I would definitley be in for a medicine tourney. Early mornings work best for me. Especially since my boat is even smaller than that of Ebass. Don't know if I could hall all my fish to weigh in.(if you know me, this is obviously a tale since my luck is not the greatest. Let's figure it out and let me know a couple days in advance so I can cover the bases before hand with the wife.
Send out some smoke signals and I'll get them. I'll send some from MilleLacs!

Going out w/ Mr. Special on Sun Morning for dem bass. So I'll post the results on Monday.

Q for anyone: when is it time to pull Carolina rigs? I was thinking of trying that by the mid lake humps.

I pulled one over on Cokato Saturday for a little bit and the Smallies hit it.

------------------

If I can get out sunday morning I will be there. Dont know what time I have to take mom in law to airport so don't know if I will have time to load and unload boat. We'll see what happens. FYI- went to MilleLacs for a launch trip last night 6-10. SUCKED!! I don't know how they work those but we didn't go out very far and sat for 4 hours. Neither us or the 2 other launches were catching anything or showing anything on the graph (well I guess they said they got a 6" walleye on one of the other boats) but did we move? Heck no. We sat in the same darn spot for 4 hours. I walleye lost (due to poor netting skills by the capt.) and one 15.5" five minutes before 10. Oh well I digress. Just venting, I'm SURE they know what they are doing?? I hope. Just frustrating to all on the boat.
Ill check back later

I'm going to try and make it Sunday morning, but it's sounding like my date Saturday night may not be going home. tongue.gif
If I show, you'll know it's me by the grin.gif
Gotta love the single life.

Went over to Eagle last night from 6-9.
Nuttin. I marked several LARGE fish in 15-20ft., but the skis must not have seen my tasty toothy critter swimmin down there.

Probably gonna give Medicine a shot tonight if nobody calls for happy hour.

------------------

Cool Sandman, Hope to see you out there. Shouldn't be crowed until 10AM which is when we're leaving.

I think I'm going to Gander tonight to stock up on some hooks n stuff and check out that lead swap.

I'm going out bright and early with LDWSmith (Lance) for smallies at my "gem". I hope she produces.