• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

Anybody know anything about Medicine Lake in Plymouth. Its close to my work and I'm thinking about hitting it up next week. Will probably be focusing on Bass. Any big northern in there?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• sandman469ss

• moby1

• MedicineMan

Lots of mid sized northern, and some big ones... its supposed to be one of the better lakes in the metro for northerns... bass have been "ok" there for me, nothing special.

Wally

The NE and E weedline is good for tossing spinnerbaits for northerns. Trolling works well, too. Get a map and note the inside and outside turns.

The two sunken islands in the southern part - they are more like little reefs. Get on top of them and just drift over. Pulled a 33" pike off one of them last year, about this time.

The "claw" or two southwest bays have rarely produced for me.

The lake has some nice bass, but I need to find some new spots...

Thanks for the info. Spinner baits are my lure of choice so I'll have to try out that weedline and those reefs. Hopefully I'll be able to pull out a 33 incher!

Those humps are a northern magnet. Well it was in the winter two seasons ago. I was using a big shinner and my bobber went down. It slowly stopped and I gave it a good hook set. Must've ticked it off as it took off and never gave up. Broke the line after holding on to my rod for dear life for about 2 mins. I couldn't move it at all.

Thanks for the advice Doonbuggy!

Went out on Medicine last night and my buddy pulled in a 34" pike on a spinnerbait just like you said. Maybe it was the same one you caught! Pulled it out of the NW bay where all the weeds are right before some jackass in a ski boat came flying up and down the little bay doing 40. Also landed 17.5" and 18.5" largemouths and a few 20-24 inch pike while fishing the southwest weedline in about 10 feet. Can't wait till next week to really go in shallow after the bass!

Glad to hear it worked out! That's a nice fish anywhere. Sounds like you were near the little point at the edge of French Park?

I hope to hear some bass reports this weekend. There are some real lunkers in there.

I'v had decen't luck there over the years. Grew up half mile away. Saw the biggest bass I have ever seen (other than in a magazine)last year. I've had the same situation with skiers as well. They like the small bay by french and often times have a slalom course set up there

blakjack23,

I have fished Medicine for years exclusively for bass. Started due to in-laws on the lake, continuing due to success. Great options anytime of the years for bass and northerns. I necessarily don't fish for pike, but the dang things hit just about anything. Good luck and maybe I will see you out there. I'll be there on 5/24.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

Medicine lake is the featured lake this week in Outdoor News. Fish On!!

Yaeger,
I just moved about a mile away from Medicine so I'll probably be bass fishin' there alot. Can you give a newbie some pointers on where to fish and what to use?
Thanks!

I also saw on the DNR website that they recentely stocked this body of water with Walleye's as well...I have never really heard of anyone catching walleyes in Medicine but they are now stocked...

I know that the DNR has stocked walleyes in the 80s there, but I don't know of anything recently. Keep checking out the message boards because there are a few walleyes guys that fish Medicine (MedicineMan comes to mind?).

Blakjack, not to give away all the answers to the lake I would say start with the usual suspects when bass fishing there...docks, reeds, pads, etc. We have found some pretty good strategies for the lake from opener to late fall. Once the algae bloom hits, the docks should hold quality bass.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

hey blakjack, if you can get a copyof the may 23rd outdoor news, medicine lake is the featured lake on page 40. looks good for walleye and crappies, and has been stocked with walleye since 1999. check it out.

They stocked walleye in Medicine from 1980 to 1984 but that didn't turn out. Partly due to the fact that they stocked Medicine with walleye fry, 99% of they fry were eaten by crappies.So very few were left to procreate.
Now the DNR are stocking Medicine with fingerlings, yearlings, adults, and fry. They started stocking in 1999 and will stock every other year.

If anyone has any questions about Medicine. I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Medicine man. Keep us posted on if the walleyes actually do well this time. I hva heard of the pike population and the smaller crappie...If the Walleye work out I will have to give this near by body of water a shot.

Was out there 5am - noon sunday. Few small pike and bass, 1 decent crappie. Guy I took with caught a 19" large mouth and 31" northern, both within 10 miinutes. I thought medicine is stocked every other year for a while now but not positive.

I also work within a mile of Medicine and wouldn't mind fishing it after work if anyone is interested.

Moby1 and I are going to be heading out to Medicine tonight if the weather cooperates. Anyone have any advise or current fishing reports that could assist us on locating fish?

WEEDLINES WEEDLINES WEEDLINES!
Thats were the fish are going to be. You wants to fish the weeds in front of French Park, and in front of East Medicine Lake Park. You want to fish long drop-offs. The more weeds the better. Mid-lake humps are also very productive if you know how to fish them.

We got a few bites drifting over some middle of the lake humps, but didn't boat any. We then moved in front of the docks on the point along the west shoreline that is nearest the middle of the lake. Caught the variety of fish there: northern, bass, sunfish, crappie and perch. The perch were the biggest I'd seen come out of the lake. 8.5" - 9.5" Some sunfish and crappies were decent sized too.

As an understatement, the Lake has plenty of weeds growing.

Had a good time with G man. Nothing major in the way of fish though. Lot's of weeds, that is for sure. Any tips medecine man for fishing those humps. I don't have a clue especially with all the weeds on the humps we hit. Mabey we can get together sometime and fish it.

First thing I suggest would be getting a map of Medicine if you don't have one already. Fishing Hot Spots makes the best maps of Medicine. Secondly, what humps are you fishing? Are you fishing the humps on the southeastern end of the lake?

Medicine Man
I have the Sportsmans Connection West Metro Area Fishing Map book. I don' see the hump on that map. It is straight out from Harty's North (rental slips) and about 1/3 way across the lake. If I read my flasher right it came all the way up to about 7 feet then massive weeds above that. I think I will have to look into the other map.
Thanks
The previous time out our fish were at the outer weedline along the northeast side in about 14'.

I'm going be out tomorrow doing some map type stuff (I'm making a map a Medicine). Plus I'm going to be playing with my new Aqua-Vu. smile.gif I'll see were the fish are, and I'll give you folks some tips.

Moby,
I have a map of medicine. There's two humps out there. That's where I lost my biggun.

When we were out there, it seemed there were more humps than the map showed....

Medicine Man:

Are you coordinating any GPS info into your map?