• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• harvey lee

• TimBuck2

• Eyed

Quote:

I'd like to put together a letter when the moment strikes me but I want to make sure I'm sending it to the right person.

It starts with the lake association raising the money to purchase the spray and I am not sure whether they just procure a permit for the project or the DNR actually applies it for them. I will say that in the last 5 years it has gotten out of hand. 2 years ago they did it a few days before the Crappie tournament shocked.gif. What were they thinking??? If you travel these troubled waters in the summer and look at the coontail and some of the other species of plants they are BROWN?! I have summited letters in the past that seemed to fall on deaf ears. Or maybe sent to the wrong organization. It is sad and frustrating. frown.gif

Amen to that fellow fisherman.

There are persons with tremendous amounts of money with massive influence on local politics living around lake Washington. I hope they listen to reason and not decide to fight sportsmen trying to do the right thing.

So if I understand this correctly, SCIENCE has nothing to do with their spraying strategy?

Sign me up, if you need any help fighting this...

I believe that is correct ,science has nothing to do with the spraying madness, if they knew of the harm they cause ,would they still do it ?

likley they would because there clean shoreline and sand filled beaches are far more inportant to them than a healthy fish population.

Not that I am in favor of any weed removal (I love fishing surface spoons through thick weeds in the summer) but an alternative to spraying to "clean up" a swimming area is to use a weed trimmer, it's what Owatonna uses at Kohlmeyer. Basically it's like a pool cleaner that just cuts the weeds down a couple feet underwater. I know the Owatonna Foundation (grant money orginization) paid for it.

I have fished the lake forty years. I can remember when the biggest crappie was about the size of your palm. If you caught a walleye that would be something to write home about. It would go in a cycle. You would have a couple of bad seasons and the pressure would drop. The next few seasons the fish would be bigger. I also think the fact one catches a lot of smaller ones attests to the fact that a good hatch for that particular year happened. I was out there this past weekend and have seem many more houses then there is now. The lack of weeds certainly won't help the future spawns. I was told by someone that lives on the lake that there is a rumor about that they are going to designate the lake a "recreational" lake and quit stocking it. I can't even imagine that happening but who knows these days.

Good post. I think you nailed it. It goes in cycles. A few years ago and even right now when there were tons of 11-12 inchers in there, it was definitely not the norm. Usually during the winter is was mainly 8-10 inchers. There have always been a few big ones in there 14+ inchers, but not in numbers. I remember as a kid it being hard to catch ANY keeper sunfish. Right now there are lots of bigger ones.

Also, it seems to me that during the winter it is harder to get the bigger crappies. This spring we caught lots of "dandies" 10-12 inchers. Best time of year for them is probably Mid-April until the spawn is over.

That said, I am against weed spraying. I think it hurts the lake and is just to appease some of the rich lakeshore owners. I will sign whatever is needed to get it to stop and stick it to the rich, snobby dinks. It also makes it harder to catch those walleyes as they love the weeds out there just like every other lake around here.

You'll all be happy to know that a lot of information is being collected in order to have a legitimant argument. Moving forward, look for more public involvement sooner rather than later.

Stay tuned...

I do understand your feelings however there is no need to be calling people names. It would be much better for all to work together to restore Lake Washington to the glory years as we remember them,not having the sportsmen and lakeshore owners at each others throats with no accomplishments as a result. I can't imagine all involved not wanting whats best for the lake in the long run.

I know some great people who are lucky enough to live on the lake. I would like to think they would be dead set against this weed killing if it harms the fish populations. They wouldn't condone anything that would prove harmful to the water. Are we actually sure the weeds are all gone? We might be assuming that because we don't see the major blooms as in the past. It might be the fact the new sewer system is returning results faster then expected.

for 1 thing i am not a rich snobby dink and neither are my neighbors, who all work hard to pay bills,we do not have clean sandy beaches on my side of the lake, they do not spray shorlines unless you pay for it out of your pocket,which very few people do. dnr allows so many acres to spray,the lake association does alot of good for the lake,( we buy land around the lake to help control runoff, 2005 we got hooked up to city sewer to help with water quality),10 years ago when i moved out here the lake was over run by curly leaf pond weed, we were cutting channels in the weeds just so we could get to main lake and that made it worse we ask the dnr for help to control this weed,they said it would not harm fish and would promote native weeds to grow, which it has clear lake did this years ago and they said the lake has very good fishing now, as a home owner i am worried about the fishing. i would like to see them stop spraying and quit the crappie tournment for a few years to see what happens, i am encouraged to see all the small ones being cuaght out here, the best thing to do is talk to the association and or hugh valiant of the dnr. they did invite him to a future meetin to discuss the fish population on this lake. i think there is a younger crowd on the association then 8 years ago when i was on it.they do care about the lake

DLK,

Again, great update. I like your position on this.

Any news on the January meeting indeed being on the 15th at 7:00 pm?

I did say SOME. I am sorry if I offended anyone as I didn't mean to and we all know that there are a few and usually those few with big $'s are the ones that get their backs scratched first.

Actually to tell the truth, I'm not so sure that we aren't in the heydays right now. The lake is full of dandy sunfish, has good walleyes, and the big crappies are still in there, just not showing themselves this winter.

As far as Bass, I don't fish them, so can't comment on that, other than I really don't care about them either way.

bass fishing there whas declined over the past few years

I am sure fishing pressure has had some effects however the fact that they are creatures of opportunity and with out ample cover it is had for them to survive, theye are not built to chase down schools bait fish to survive all though they occasionally will but rather would prefer to ambush small sunfish and crawfish which are drawn to those areas

in order to hide from larger predators ....

You're good to go Willy. Thanks.

Lots of wheels spinning out there folks. Hang in there. I'll have a lot of information within 20 days to share.

I have been out on washington about 10 times this winter and have caught mabye 8-10 crappies that have been larger than 11 inches. I have probablly caught 150 crappies being out there 10 times. You can figure out the ratio. Even 2 years ago I would average 6-8 fish over 10 1/2 to 11 inches each time. I have fished all 3 bays and these small crappies are getting frustrating.

OK, let's put a Time Out on this thread. If you want to post results of your outings on Washington let's start a new thread. It sounds like TO has taken the reins and is spearheading the sportsman's front on the quality of fishing and effects of the weed spraying. Thank You, TO!! The meeting with the lake association has been posted, and everyone was invited. Let's stop beating this horse until TO has more information for us. Good Luck fishing everyone! Remember, Wahington in the present is not much different from Clear or Duck as far as weeding through smaller crappies to find some bigguns. Let's focus on the joy of being out there, and feel for the unfortunate southerners that never walk on water. smile.gif

I don't know about "the reins" but I'm definitely working on educating myself and gathering information in order to make an argument in front of the right people.

The information, etc. that I am and will be learning between now and 1-20-08 will most definitely be passed on to all of you in a setting that will be available for question and answer. Hang in there! grin.gif

With several days of catching 75+ 6-8 inch crappies, it's time to move to my other local hot spots. \:\( Great for taking out the youngsters for some action, but not worth keeping. It really doesn't seem to matter what depth you're at, they eventually find you!! Very agressive crappies. Sunnies have been average, but rather slow. Watch out for the suprise sheephead!! Good luck to all!! Great weather so far.

Hello all I am just curious after these few warmer days what has it done to the landing at Westwood. I am wanting to put my house out in the morning. Just want to make sure it is alright before I make the drive. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx Jeff

As of today, there was alittle water standing in front of the access. Nothing major though, everyone is still using it. You should be fine.

Can someone please confirm for me if the Lake Washington Association meeting is this Tuesday at Westwood at 7:00 pm?

With help from a fellow FM'er, I will be conducting a "seminar" on what has and is being learned about lake weed spraying on our area lakes at Gander Mountain in Mankato, MN. Look for details to follow by the tail end of next week...

Hang in there!