• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jigging for Notherns

What do you guys suggest is the best way to jig for Norterns? I typically do a lot of panfishing and the leave the northern and walleyes for the tip-ups. I haven't really tried jigging for northern or walleye too much. I have heard jigging spoons are good, but any other tips would be helpful. I usually fish 12-15 ft. of water where I go. Thanks.

I typically use a jigging spoon and wire leader. I like swedish pimples and jig-a-whoppers. Sometimes I just use a quick strike rig like you'd use on a tip up. I tip with a shiner or sucker depending on how the bite is working. Time of year really dictates where you catch them, but most of the time shallower is better.

Jigging spoons are great. I like large airplane jigs with a chunk of meat on them. I have a 36" heavy rod that I use and head out that way. I like the depth you're searching. I typically stay in the 8-15FOW depending on the weedline. I will usually have a tipup within 50ft as a "less active" meal and then do the aggressive jigging.

Ditto on the jigging spoons. My favorites are a hammered gold spoon & an Angle Eye in green. Another option is Rapalas, I have a perch-colored one that works well, but that gets expensive fast if you lose a few! I've had better luck without a leader, just using 8-10 lb. Fireline & re-tying after each fish. Which reminds me, I didn't do that...the last two outings. grin.gif