• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carb kit foR old Stikemaster?

Dan Brelje

Question

Hey guys, I have no idea about small engine repair so i came looking for help. My father just found his old strikemaster auger and thinks we could get it running again. I need to pick up a few things and a carb kit is one of them. Are there different kinds of carb kits? Where can you get them? How much do they cost?

Any other suggestions about getting a 20+ yr old auger running would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

11 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its a Walbro carb. On the outside you'll see which model carb by a stamp in the body. Give that Make and Model # to a small engine shop and they'll get your the kit.

I'll assume its a Mag III (Ope). If you can't find the model carb you have let me know.

Tips to get it going. Fresh mixed gas, new spark plug and carb cleaning and kit. Might want to the chipper blade sharpened.

thanks guys, ill be stopping by a small engine shop next week and see if i can't get the auger going

Spent some time on the auger tonight and we got it to fire. However, once running it would quickly die. I do not think that it is getting gas through the carb, or if it is even pulling gas all together. Going to take more of a look tomorrow.

Did you rebuild the carb? If you did, take a look at the fuel hose. It may be cracked or just plain stiff and not sealing well. Also, did you replace the base gasket to the engine for the carb? Need more info

The carb kit comes with diaphragms for the fuel pump.

Thanks for the replies. Replaced all the gaskets in the carb and cleaned it out with a carb and choke cleaner. The fuel line is stiff and could be replaced, ill look into it.

There is a stone filter inside the tank that the fuel line is connected to. To replace the fuel line, drain the gas out of the tank. Cut off the fuel line 1" below from the tank. Push that into the tank and retrieve the filter. Remove the rest of the line from the filter. Soak that filter in carb cleaner and back flush it or just replace the filter. You can get them from strikemaster along with the proper size fuel line.

Feed the new line through the outlet hole in the tank and out the gas fill hole. Put the filter on the end of the hose and pull that through the outlet till it seats the hose and filters nipple.

Thanks for all the help surface tension. My father and I worked on the auger for a night and a little the next day. I replaced the fuel line and filter and we got the auger running. After I was confident I ventured out onto the ice to see if it would cut with the newer strikemaster chipper blade. When i got to the ice i noticed gas was dripping from the choke lever. The auger would run but it was starting much tougher and would not stay idling for me. I believe there is a leak somewhere in the carb and may tear it apart again to make sure it was put back on right. We will see, At least i know she runs \:\)

Look to see if the gas is coming from the tank fitting and running down the hose and to the carb.

If its coming from the carb it would most likely be the inlet valve which isn't shutting off gas. If that needle and seat have been replaced(you need to replace them together as a set)then it could be the fuel level. With the needle and seat in place you'll notice a tang that the fuel pump diaphragm activates. The top of that tang should be level with the floor of the carb body.

Also its possible you have the diaphragms on wrong. If you saved your old ones you'll see the imprint of the carb body and stack.