• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Day Packs"

solocam

Last night I was putting bow hunting stuff away for the season and cleaning out my pack when I realized that I carry a ton of stuff with me each time I go out. It made me wonder what all of you put into your day packs. I think I am over kill but I think it would be good for some of the new comers to the sport to know what they should have.

THE LIST

H2O Day pack

Two bow hangers

One cut off ski-rope with handle (works great as a deer drag)

Hand warmers

Bottle of scent killer

Nikon rangefinder.

Blood trailing tape.

Camera

Binoculars

Plastic bag with paper towels and rubber gloves.

Grunt Call and bleat can.

Small headlamp and small Mag-light.

GPS

Bow retriever rope (The coil up kind)

Safety Harness

Pruner tool

Outdoor Edge Kodi-Pack (Knife / Saw combo)

Last but not least is the addition of the "Butt Out Tool" (I thought that this was a joke but they really work great.)

Hatchet,saw combo

knife

small combo tool

tree steps

rope

flashlite

hand warmers

gps

pull up reel

binos

scent

bugspray

calls

rattlebag

xtra socks,gloves

This all fits in a fanny pack on my waist. I've found a big backpack not to work well for me and its usually only half full anyway. I have a small pouch I attach to my stand when I get there for things I want at hand. I also have handwarmers and a cell phone in my cargo pockets.

My day pack includes...

License

ID

aerial photo or map

emergency whistle with matches

grunt call, maybe rattle bag and can call if in season.

book

knife

gutting gloves

trailing tape

rangefinder

binos

32oz gatorade (doubles as pee bottle when empty)

snacks

bow hanger

release

harness tree strap

hoist rope

headlamp

might add scent during the rut.

I may be a klutz but I always have somewhat of a first aid kit to some degree along. One never knows when that sharp broadhead may slice your finger or your knife could do damage.

I use to go out with a little fanny pack and now have a huge bag that will go over my shoulders with more than I probably will ever use.

I too carry a huge back pack. Mostly it gets filled with my outer clothes so I don't have to wear or carry them and get overheated. I also always have a compass, but then I hunt the big northern woods, not small woodlots.

Obviously I tailor what I bring to each situation. If I'm near the car I carry far less because I can run to the car while I let the animal bed down.

If I'm out a ways, I bring a roll-up sled, rope, knife, GPS and compass and use the backpack with hydration bag.

Wow!

You guys carry alot of stuff.... I prefer the KISS method and since I am rarely more than 500 yards from my truck I rarely need more than I can fit in my pocket.

Here's what I have on my person when I head to the stand:

bow

release

grunt

maybe horns

wind direction checker

and harness (which I put on at the truck)

I leave my knife at the truck as well, that forces me to return to the truck after the shot to grab it and a light giving the deer time to expire and helping resist the urge to recover.

Obviously if I hunted big timber and commonly hiked a mile or more, things would be different.

I know on paper is looks like a lot of crap, but my list fits in a single-pocket fanny pack, not one of those expedition packs.

I've cut it way back to what I used to carry.

I think you all forgot the most inportant thing, toilet paper. [ for blowing your nose ].