• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old School?

CNY Tim

Question

While talking to my mechanic and prepping my van for a 20 hour ride one way to Minnesota, he recommended adding a quart of tranny fluid to my oil change... He told me it's old school and helps lubricate the upper parts and seals in the motor better especially during the winter. Anyhow I have to tell you my motor never sounded better, smoother, no more valve chattering in the morning when cold. How many guys do that?

9 answers to this question

My old man used to add a quart of Rislone on every oil change. That product was designed for engine topside lubrication. He had excellent luck with it.

As far as ATF goes, I have some concerns there. I dont know if that stuff is formulated to take the heat and pressures inside an engine.

I wouldn't recommend getting into a routine of putting in a quart with every oil change, but every now and then it is a good thing. It really helps clean up a lot of deposits left behind. It can help keep the seals limber and sometimes help a sticky lifter come back to life. You might want to shorten your oil change interval on the ones with the tranny fluid though. I personally quit using trans fluid and switched to Marvel Mystery oil as a lot of it will be dissapated before the next oil change and it does a better job of cleaning up the deposits.

Quote:

My old man used to add a quart of Rislone on every oil change

I worked at Lincoln/Mercury dealership for 5 years and if I had dollar for every old guy who brought in a quart of that stuff.

The trans fluid is made up with a high amount of detergent added into it. This why is cleans so well when used in a dirty eng… What I would do, is add it in about a couple hundred miles before oil change and let it clean and then change it out. I would not do this all the time. I can not say why, but I just feel it. Every 3rd or 4th oil change would be ok.

Good luck!

A quart before, run it for a day and then change, like mentioned above would be fine. A quart after, not so sure!

My father in-law always added Slick 50 when he changed oil. Don’t know if it’s still available or not. But with synthetic oil do you have to add anything at all?

I did some research a while back on stuff like slick 50. I believe the knock on it was that the particles of teflon in slick 50 were bigger than the holes in the filter so it would all just plug up your filter. Anyway thats what i remember not sure if they updated it or not.

It seems like the consensus of this site is if you want to add something to your oil it should start with sea and end with foam grin.gif

Good point shackbash. The previous owner of my 1985 diesel truck liked to use a quart of ATF with every oil change. He also liked to add a quart to his fuel system on a regular basis. Shortly after I got the truck I had to replace the injector pump. The mechanic told me that regularly using ATF in the fuel is not a very good idea. He said that it is too abrasive on the pump and that is what caused my breakdown. He also suggested that it wasn't good to use it in the crankcase regularly either for the same reason.

His view was that if there is issue with build-up in the crank then the problem is more likely related to infrequent oil changes. The oil's main purpose aside from lubricating is to suspend contaminant particles so they can be removed by the oil filter. Not changing the filter frequently enough or not using good oil will allow these particles to collect on metal parts. We compensate for this by using additives to take care of the problem we probably caused.

Bob

Quote:

A quart before, run it for a day and then change, like mentioned above would be fine. A quart after, not so sure!

You would be better off using a can of seamfoam for sure.

It is an old trick for sticky rings but you wouldn't want to leave it in for very long.

The tranny oil will soften the valve stem seals which will lead to major oil loss.

Quote:

My father in-law always added Slick 50 when he changed oil. Don’t know if it’s still available or not. But with synthetic oil do you have to add anything at all?

There was some research done a few (8-10) years back that tested all these engine oil treatments like Slick 50, Duralube and such. What they found was 90% of all oil treatments actually caused the bearings to wear out faster then just using regular oil. There was like two or three that did not do any damage or maybe helped extend engine life slightly. Not enough to warrant paying the extra $$.

As far as adding Slick 50 or the like to synthetic oil, no need. That would be defeating the purpose of spending the extra cash on the synthetic.