• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka crappies

markkstanley

I have been hitting crappie spots this week on the west side of Tonka. The fish have been very hungry. I have been keying on inside turns in 20ft depths. The crappies have not been suspended but are right on the bottom. Little Atom micro nuggies and regular nuggies in glow color have been the best producer followed by the ever popular Ratos (white/pink head with a little waxie for flavor). Bite is very light for the most part so a spring bobber like the Jason Mitchell or St croix legend is a must. I have also used the Jason Mitchell deadstick as a jigging rod with great success - the tip is as sensitive as a spring bobber and the rod has ample backbone. Pretty easy to get a limit of nice crappies right now and the action is almost non stop from sundown to around 8pm.

Thanks for the report Mark. Those JM JM rods rock, don't they? Been chasing any eyes? I usually key in on panfish in winter, but this year I decided to put some time into catching walter. So far sucess has been limited, but starting to put a pattern together. We'll have to get out sometime. When do you think the ice on Tonka will be drivable?

Not chasing eyes on Tonka this winter - if I get a hankering to go walleye fishing I head down to Pool 4 nowdays. I don't think we'll be driving on Tonka until after New Years. At least the snow is getting pretty hardpacked so draggin the portable isn't too bad.

I have been also having success with the crappies and waldos on tonka! I am using one of my favorite "Upper Red" lures that glows red. I have been having sucess with both the waldos and the crappies jigging fathead heads.

tip_upclyma:

Have found the bite to run about the same length of time as Mark's? Are you getting both species in the same spot?

Yes...i am getting the walleyes and the crappies in 20 FOW. I just wait for the perch to settle down and then either the crappies or walleyes move in. The walleye bite stops around 7pm...but last night I was out until 11pm and when I left the vexi was full of finnicky crappies on the bottom.