• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tricks for spearing in dirty water

tritonman

I went out spearing on a lake on tuesday that had somewhat stained water in it, so I went back to the same method I have used for years in this situation. I slice up bigger potato's into potato chip slices and scatter them all over the bottom. Just like always I could pick out fish that I would never be able to see otherwise. Wondering if anyone else has anything they do for such situations? I know years ago guys used to throw egg shells down the whole but that always left a film in the water. Let's hear what you got?

i use alot of potatos in that situation as well. Eggs are good, but like you said, there is that film on the top of the water. Egg shells are alot easier to use, cuase they give out more color off the bottom. I have see alot of older guys use corn. They just jump in down the hole.

A ear of corn or a potato are in my set up at all times I have seen some guys use a small chunk of white latalis ( that stuff you put under your deck) on a short rope to get it back out.

I have used the light colored lima beans, buy two bags and it covers the hole. Used them at LOW when there water is dirty and works great.

Lima beans work great. I always buy the biggest ones I can buy. They are white and no film on the water and come in a bag.

Bass-n-Spear Maybe you can find out if its true or not.I like to use navy beans to lighten up the bottom,is this legal? I was told by one C.O. that it would be littering and another C.O. that theres nothing wrong with it!

I think it should be legal if what you put down the hole is biodegradeable,but I leave my house set up on a hole for two weeks sometimes,if a C.O. looks in my house he is going to see the beans if I have them down there.Now I dont know if its legal or not!

Actually, I heard that all of these materials (egg shells, potatoes, beans) are all illegal. It doesn't matter if they are biodegradable. They are not "native" to the lake.

I don't know why they are illegal, but I could see people arguing when they throw a apple core on the ground in a public place saying it should not be litter.

I know of someone that was fined a few years ago AFTER they moved their house. The CO saw egg shells in the open hole and fined them. I don't know how true this story was, but I did hear this.

white freezer door all the way man.... find an old upright door it has a handle you tie a rope to it and you can haul it home when you are done, gives off alot of light and you can tell the c.o. that it is anchor.... I haven't really used that much, I have speared over corn but usually move onto a different lake if it is to murky..

i had potatos down in my hole a few weeks ago with the DNR guy standing in my house with me, and he never said anything about them.

It says nothing in the laws either.

I fish on a very clear lake, so don't use anything. But, I have used egg shells and potatoes in the past.

But, I consulted another spearer I know and he said it is illegal. How can a person find out? How are we supposed to know if it is not spelled out?

Thats the trouble with the dnr and there laws,it says in the regulation book that you get when you buy your license that this is not a complete list of rules and regulations.Where do we get a complete list of rules and regulations,IS there a list of rules and regulations or do they make them up as they see fit?

It is tough to have EVERYTHING written down. It is like when a traffic law changes...how do they notify you?

But, if one person gets fined and one doesn't...how do we know? And, how do people get informed?

The guy with the potatoes in the water with the DNR guy in the house, was the door open? Could he see in your hole? Maybe he missed them, or maybe he thought they are legal? Maybe they are, but how can some people get fined for them then?

I once heard food such as; corn, beans and potoatoes are illegal to drop down the hole but freshwater muscle shells are not. Pick a bucket of muscle shells in the summer and drop 'em down the hole. They should land shiny side up and help avoid a ticket.

redhooks

i think when your talking about the DNR... if your nice to them, they will do that in return. I looked in the book, and maybe i missed it, but didnt see anything about it.

Yes that is true,they are peaple just like you and me.The last time I spoke to a C.O. we talked for 45 min.while he ate 4 peaces of chicken of my grill! grin.gif

ya man, that is what its all about. Hang out and enjoy the outdoors. I love it when you talk to a few ppl out there and they always stat that the CO is so bad, and never nice..

Well thats becuae your not nice to them. There people that care about the sport, and if your going to hang out, and talk about whatever it might be, there is going to be no harm, and everyone will have a great time.

I actually saw a CO last night...and we talked and laughed for awhile. I asked him about vegetables or egg shells, and he told me that it is illegal.....

Then he looked in my hole and laughed "Do you have any". I said "No" and he laughed as he said I shouldn't in such a clear lake. He also said he wouldn't fine me for it anyway.

So, sorry to tell you guys but it is illegal....

Did he say what the fine would be or what he would actually be charging you with? Hey mnmuzzleloader, did you ever have the fridge door down and throw the spear through it?

Have never used the freezer door that just came across my mind one day as I was gazing into to murky lake,

On winnie and other northern lakes there are clam shells usually laying along the shore line. they are very white on the inside, when dropped down the spear hole they will go down white side up. need I say more. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i speared up in the cass lake area this last week, and we speared in 15 fow, and it was amazingly clear.

Bass-n-Spear Glad to hear you found some clear water BUT did you find some pike to spear? I was hopeing to get up that way and do some spearing myself,but with all this snow comeing down every day,I cant find the time to finish my wheelhouse!(snowblowing my 100yard driveway everyday)Oh-Well mayby next week I can go fishing! Good Luck on your trip,Take lots of photos and be SAFE!!

we did awesome. I posted some photos in the darkhouse photo page.

I have more to come. But ya is was awesome. Lets just say, we had our fish.

Quote:

Well thats becuae your not nice to them. There people that care about the sport, and if your going to hang out, and talk about whatever it might be, there is going to be no harm, and everyone will have a great time.

Try playin' nice with the DNR up here in northern, northern MN!! shocked.gif