• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

atv for ice fishing? will a 2x4 work fine or will I absolutely need a 4x4

broman

Question

I'm thinking about buying an atv. I want to use it for ice fishing.

I know that 4x4 is the way to go, but I'm wondering if I can get by with a 2x4 (cheaper of course)?

Are the 2x4's difficult to drive on the ice compared to the 4x4?

9 answers to this question

without a doubt, go 4x4. just look at this year, it's hard to even get around with a good 4 wheel drive wheeler, most places on mille lacs are recommending snowmobiles.

I'm putting chains on my 4x4 this year, the combination of deep snow and slush pockets can even give 4 wheel drives a problem. Especially if you're pulling a larger sled with the wheeler. Good luck.

Definitely go with 4x4, spend a few extra bucks because you'll be glad you did when you need it. I've had my Arctic Cat 400i stuck a few times while in 2WD (both in snow and in swampy terrain.) Unless it's extremely icey, I always drive in 2WD because it's a little easier on the machine; but for every time I have gotten stuck, all I do is pop it into neutral and pull the lever to put it into 4x4 and she gets herself out with no problem. 4x4 also gives you a little more ground force when you've got your winch hooked up to something you're trying to pull. I know guys that swear by 2WD whether it's for a truck or an ATV, they say 4x4 is a waste of money. Well, evidently those guys don't travel off of the plowed city streets in the winter. Of course you can get stuck with 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, etc., but the more traction you've got on the ground, the easier it will be to move along swiftly on difficult terrain, or get yourself out of a stuck position. Call me a fool, but if I had to choose between a new 2x4 ATV for $5,000, or a new 4x4 ATV for $6,500, I'd no doubt spend the extra $1,500. The technology is available and it's only there to help us, so take advantage of it. 4x4 is the way to go no matter what kind of vehicle you're driving, mark my word.

I have used a Honda 3 wheeler for the past 20 years and never had a problem. I have had buddies pull out their permanents with it.

4x4 without question. You will not regret it the first time you get hung up in a little snow and need the extra pull to get out.

broman:

Was just talking to a guy @ a local lake access yesterday about this subject.

I was looking to see how much snow was on the lake in order to maybe hand pull my 6 X 8 foam house out.

This guy had been on the lake twice this weekend with his 2 X 4 atv and was getting stuck all the time dropping in slush pockets, deeper snow and crust he said.

I need a wheeler next year to avoid this waiting game, it will certainly be a 4 X 4 I think.

I have 1990, (yes 1990) Polaris 250 2x4, i screw 3/8" sheet metal screws in all the lugs and I get around OK. The ONLY reason I have a 2x4 is I picked it up for a song. If I were to sing again, I would sing a little louder and get the 4x4.

Yea, it just isn't worth having a wheeler when you constantly have to get off and push or pull yourselft out of trouble.

If your going to ride on the farm or stay on a trail, the the 2WD is fine, but for the trail blazing and lake riding definately get the 4WD with atleast a set of chains on the rear. Makes life so much easier.

i run a 1983 honda fourtrax 2x4 have had it for about 5 or 6 years now and i will admit that at times i DO wish i had 4x4. i to picked it up for a song. but before it even took its maiden voyage on ice i got me a set of v-cleat ice chains from ff and i use it to pull out my house. for the most of times it is more than adiquate. ... paul