• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Size of "keepers" ???

Just wondering what everybody else considers to be keeper walleyes? I and the people I fish with will not keep any walleyes less than 15" or anything 20" or larger, unless they are hooked really bad. My thoughts are that the < 15" fish need to grow a bit and the 20" plus fish are the main spawners. Hope others use this mentality so there will be fish to catch in the future. I could have had my limit at times if I would keep everything I caught, but chose not to. I also would not mind if the state would reduce the daily limit to 4. What does everyone think?

Lunker - Welcome to Fishing MN! cool.gif

I couldn't agree more with what you said. Even though my name is LMITOUT, I rarely take fish home unless it's just one of those days where I feel like a fish or two, but that is typically early in the season or during ice fishing. Something about taking those fish out of the hot water in the lakes around here when it's 90 degrees doesn't seem real appetizing to me. They feel half-cooked already!

A reminder to everyone that the state law allows for keeping only ONE fish over 20", if you would choose to keep one that size anyway. I think thats fine if you do, and it's those around 22-23" where I'd draw the line personally.

Everyone has their idea of what a keeper fish is, and that's fine as long as it's within the law, but it bothers me to see people keeping fish that are 11-13" just to say they got their "limit". A 15-17" fish is a great eating sized walleye and worth the time getting the knife dirty if you're looking for a meal of fish.

I agree as well. I grew up in Michigan where state-wide minimum size limit for Walleye's is 15". I wish everybody would do this, if not the State. I've heard people say that keeping a 13" walleye is like a keeping a really nice perch!

Crappies for me have to be 9" as well.

Lunker 1967, I have to agree with you, the over 20" are the "Cargo Carriers" , and the under 15", are the "FUTURE", If you're THAT hungry, learn to LOVE beef liver. FYI, I fry my own beef liver and onions on a regular basis. I have held Liver and Onions fries for my neighbors just to P/O their significant others. WHAT FUN!!! It does wonders for the overnight sheet placement too! ooo.gifooo.gifgrin.gif Phred52 B.T.W, Lunker1967, JUST how near New Ulm, are you??? If it helps, I'm <2 blocks from the Sausage Shop.

Welcome to FM

I would agree with Dan, these are great eatting fish, where if you are into the 11-13, there going to be a bit smaller, and going to lose the meat. Give them a year or three, when there a bigger fish.

I have no problem eating a 22" walleye. I fish to catch fish and eat them. If I'm by myself a 23" or even some 22"s and 21"ers will go back, especially if it's the first fish, but if with certian friends those fish just dont go back down the hole, especially the old timers. I'm gettin them to come around though. After a few trips to Kabetogama where they HAVE to go back in the water, they kind of understand selective harvest a little better now.

My personal slot limit is 14" to 20" inches. From a fisheries perspective it doesn't hurt it one bit to keep a 14 inch fish. I have talked to several regional DNR fisheries people about this and they agree. I think it is better to keep a two 14" inchers than to keep something to eat that is over 20 inches. The DNR stocks fish for people to catch and the perfect size is 14 to 20 inches.

It is very rare that I keep fish but if I do, for eyes it a max of 20. I wont keep fish under 15. My perfect size for eaters would be 16-18 and all the rest can go back to fight another day.