• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pine Island Bite Last Weekend with River Bend

My 12-year old son and I fished with River Bend on the 15 and 16. Saturday we were in 28 feet and the fish were biting when we got out there a little after 8:00. The morning was the best with the afternoon being slow, only 2-3 fish. 15 sauger and 2 walleye. Kept 8 and had 5 for dinner. Biggest a 15 inch sauger. Jigging out produced bobbers by 4 to 1.

Sunday they started again when we got out a little before 8:00 in a little over 30 feet. It took an hour to get all 4 lines down due to the action. 41 fish total. 8 walleyes from 14-16 inches with one throwback. 32 sauger many in the 13-15 inch range with about 14 dinks. We threw back a few 13s and 14s. One 11 inch Jumbo. Jigging was best again by about 3 to 1 but almost all of the bigger fish hit the bobber rig on which we put the biggest fatheads. We had runs at 8:00, 9:00 and 1:00. Steady action up until 2:00 then it was slow.

Overall, the morning bite was the best, the best jiggin spoon was a red glow rattling varmint which I just bought before the trip smile.gif and we had good luck with adding some scent to the minnow head. Sometimes if the fish were sniffing but not biting and wouldn't follow the lure up lifted slowly, we lifted it 4-5 feet up fast and this would trigger the fish to come up and nail it.

Last year my son wasn't too interested in jigging. But this year being a year older and with an LX-3TC he jigged the whole time which made me proud. We were going toe-to-toe all trip for the most fish but I held on to win by two. He made up for it by kicking my behind in the Buck Hunter game at the resort. A great trip for sure! Bill Turck, I thought I was going to meet you since we originally were going up after Xmas but changed it a week and a half ago. Good fishin' when you're up there.

Hook: Great report. Sounds like a decent bite and the young guy hung right in there with you. Ya just couldn't let him beat you though. Watch out next time, he's got it figured out now.

Did you drive out to the house or did Riverbend transport you? One week from tomorrow and hopefully we'll have something to report as well. Are you headed back again this year? I was looking forward to meeting you as well, especially wanted to talk to your son and pick up some pointers from him. blush.gif.Maybe next time. Bill

Bill,

We were transported. They were running 2 bombers. My son had his first bomber ride on Saturday morning. The rest of the time it was the Samurais and a trailer.

Right now I don't plan on making it back up until March frown.gif but you never know. Good Luck to you and your group.

I'm staying with River Bend in in a couple weeks. First time staying with them so I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. I choose them because they are a sponsor on this forum. Hope the bite stays good and thanks for the info!

pickle

Ditch: One week from today I will be at Riverbend and hopefully have some walleye being prepared by the chef for supper. I've stayed there for the past 9 years with the prior owners Glenn and Pam and now Charlie and Judy. They have a nice operation there. You should enjoy your trip. I'll post our results late on the 28th when we get back good or bad, hopefully it will all be good. Bill

Thanks again. Good fishing is always a bonus to having a great place to stay!

pickle

Fished off pine island monday and tuesday out of sportsmans. Monday on the far eastern edge in 21', Tuesday in 28' to the west. Both days the best bite was from 8-10. Early afternoon was sllooowww both days. Got the sleeper corner monday, got 5 all day. Between 4 of us got about 30, only 6 over 16"... Got the hot corner today, pulled out 25+ myself, 5 over 16". Biggest both days was 18.5", lots of dinks. Slowest fishing in years this time of year. Got all of them today off JRs stopsign and glow drop.

Sportsmans food is on the skids...

LB

Looks like a great trip with the boy!

Could have been my house with the Varmit,scent, & LX-S....

Good report.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.