• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caution Around the Longville Area

I was on little boy lake this weekend and surprisingly only found 4" of ice with lots of slush, certainly not the 8-10" inches that the FM ice map shows. I have also heard this same report for other lakes in the longville area. Talking to a c.o. who stopped by to check us he said that the ice varies greatly from lake to lake and throughout areas of the same lake. Caution is still needed as this ice is certainly unsafe for an atv or snowmobile. Although bigger lakes in the area may have more ice in spots the way the snow and slush is set up on the lake makes a big difference in how much it insulates the ice. Please exercise caution on the area lakes and make sure to check the ice often as you venture out.

I quickly jumped out my house throwing up my hands to keep the c.o. on his snowmobile away from us and he sure looked surprised when I told him that he was only on four inches of ice. I thought the dnr recommended 5" for a snowmobile, I guess they don't follow their own recomendations. Luckily I was able to stop him before he got too close and risked putting me through.

Did you catch any fish or just got wet feet in the slush? How much snow was on the lake and where did you put in at? I have access just north of Little Boy Lake resort at my mom's cabin and was wondering if I could get to the lake from the road or if there was too much snow?

The fishing was slow, probably due to the cold front the previous day, but we did mark a lot of fish. I ended up with one walleye one pike and one nice perch. I have a cabin on the north shore and thats where I generally fish. I've caught fish all over the lake so from where you can get on the lake you should be able to find some fish, any good looking structure will hold fish in the winter. I'll be there for six days after xmas so I'll let you know if it picks up. And yes we got our feet wet as well, about five inches of water came up after drilling holes.