• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CK - Hair Jigs?

CK or anybody else -

I am getting into tying hair jigs (I lose a lot on the river near Red Wing).

Does anybody use small hair jigs for sunnies or crappies in the winter much? With the plastics being pushed a lot, I wonder if these are being overlooked.

Anybody have pics of their favorite colors to tie?

I'll use 97% hair & 2% plastics with 1% being meat for pannies.

08iceseason027.jpg

08iceseason029.jpg

08iceseason024.jpg

HPIM1168.jpg

Here's some of the colors I'll use.

Orange/whit or orange/chart.yellow are my favorites.

Black/white or blue/white or pink/white can also be deadly.

Stained waters seem to like yellow combos whereas white combos work better in clear water.

2157541.jpg

CK -

Any special pointers on how to fish these small jigs? I am guessing 2 or 4 lb. test line with no bobber? Any advice would be appreciated. I am going to try BSL this weekend. Thanks.

yup light line and a small sinker 16" up.

Get in front of the fish and lift the slab 2-5 feet up depending on how far it will go.

Look at the barometer in the a.m. If it's high only lift a foot or 2 if it's low drag the fish up 3-5 foot from the bottom.

64th or 80th's work great.

If the barometer is low you might get away with a 32nd oz.jig.

Nice pics. Now it's time to split hairs--just kidding.

Anyway, it looks like your jigs are deer hair. Ever tried craft hair? Man, that stuff floats like a butterfly.

One thing I am trying to do is to get color combos down so I have things that I can go to. For example, I know that the sunnies will tear up anything white or chartruse. In the same lake though, the crappies always want purple or orange. Getting those unique-can't-buy-over-the-counter colors is cool!

If you any other pics--I gotta get into doing that--it's be great!

I'll be lake hopping in the Aitkin area over Christmas.

Give me a shout then.218-845-8801 Let's fish.

The hair I use is kiptail(calf).

bucktail(deer) hairs are hollow and too bulky,plus it takes way too many hairs to cover a hook well in my opinion on these small hooks.

I'll also use rabbit and maribou.

Being able to make any color you want is great and controlling the size is a plus.

I like the silhouette of kip when wet.It also falls slow.

I've used flashabou and several other mediums.

I guess kip is my favorite and when I can catch fish on most days why change?

If you ever want to spend a few minutes over the vice I'm game.

All this talk of tying jigs has me wondering if maybe i should look a little deeper into this -- so if i may, where do you get the materials for making these jigs -- cost etc. - also is there a good book to read up on this or a web site that got you started in the jig making business -- another qustion CK, i noticed jigs similar to yours at Willey's when i was up there this past weekend -- do you supply them or am i mistaken?

Google up jig tying.There's all sorts of videos to give you an idea of what it takes.

Those jigs are flu-flus in 32nds.

I'm making 64th's,80ths and 100ths.

If you want a lesson come on up.

( Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you.)

Are these anything like the "doll flies" we used to be able to get in the '70s and use for pannies?

Typically flies do not have a weighted head,whereas jigs do.

In some states you can have a jig on the end of your line for weight and a fly up a foot or two.

You can also drop shot a fly.

Having a weighted jig allows you to effectively work the whole water column.

I remember those--I don't know exactly what material was used, but probably maribou.

There are so many different kinds of feathers and hair our there to tie custom stuff--it's amazing.

I just enjoy the thinking process of colors and weights. My daughter really likes picking out colors too.

The main reason I tie is because I don't want to be limited by the store and what they have or don't have. I like certain weights for this and that type of fishing.

I am getting more and more away from live bait--cost and keep it alive.

I like plastics for both winter and summer. But they are sometimes limited in what they can do.

It's totally cool to put a plastic tail bait on the same weight jig as, say, a jig tied with craft hair or maribou. There's no comparison in how it moves and breathes.

Outfishing plastics? Sometimes I do with hair and other times not. It just gives me another option.

Something I have not tried, but I want to--applying scent to hair jigs. Anybody tried it much?

If I remember right, they came in 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64th sizes and were black, red, white, blue and yellow.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone lead me to a web-site or a store in the Twin Cities area tha sells 1/80th or 1/100th sized jig heads? I have been struggling for a few days now to find jig heads this small. Thanks in advance and Good Fishing!

Originally Posted By: crappiekeith
Spray some WD40 on the hair or smear some prepH on the plastics.

CK- WD40?

• 4 weeks later...

Not really,I don't do any of that ,but if it gives a guy more confidense so that he'll try to fish without meat.I dunno ,heard it worked.

I used a gell fish scent the other weekend.

It did not seem to matter.

You'd be better of just getting some fish slime into the hair,feathur or fur.

Spit on the hair jig and rub it in so the jig does not fill up with air bubbles when you put it under the water. The bubbles will trap in the hair and make the jig look unnatural to the fish.

If you Google 1/100oz jigs you should find some sellers where you can order them. I'd give you a link but it's against forum rules.

It's kiptail and any loop knot will work.The point to tying a loop is so the it will hang horizontal.

wow this looks like fun but i don't want to spend an arm and leg to get started if I don't have to. Any good vises that don't cost a whole lot and what else other than thread, scissors, a bobbin, hair, and jigs would I need to pick up.

A AA vice for 10$ works great.Powder paint,sutchers,oil lamp and vinyl paint for the eyes.

Tony....Size A thread works when you start tying ,but 6/0 is way thinner,it'll take some time learning your tension though.

You can get a lot more raps without the bulky build up.Head cement is needed too so they stay together.

Once you can get the hair to hold when pulling on it you know your getting some quality in them .so what if they fall apart,you can retie them.

You want the hair to just go past the hook too.If it's a bit long pull it back with 3 raps of thread.Then go to 10 and mount your next color with another 30 raps.Oh,always work towards the head.

Maybe you can get Solo to bring you over here and we can do a session on the vice.

I'll show you everything I know,Including painting with powder paint and double dotting the eyes.

There's a bunch of little tricks to make it all work easier for you.

I'm glad to see you've joined the ranks of finesse fishermen.

Welcome,once "hooked" you'll tie till you die!

Thanks for the heads up Solo!