• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Centerville Area?????

PerchSlayer

I am new to the area and was wondering if the Centerville area is a good area to put a small permanent house? I'm curious if there is anyone on here that puts their house on lakes in this area (Peltier, Centerville, Rice)or if there are any suggestions onto which lake would be best. We are looking for a night walleye bite. Thanks for the help.

Rice is really too shallow to be able to effectively fish, and it doesn't get the best ice either. Peltier and Centerville both have walleyes in them and I have caught them through the ice on both lakes. As far as which one is better, I couldn't tell you because I have had pretty even results on both lakes. It does get crowded out there and if you put a permanant house out, be warned, there are theives in the area.

Perchslayer! Rice Lake is very shallow. Much too shallow to put a house on. I am unsure how you would get a permanent house on Centerville Lake. The only access I know of that is open to the public is through the Anoka County Park and I don't know if they have any rules about such things as permanent houses? You might want to call them to be sure. Peltier is open to the public and has an excellent boat landing you could probably access the lake from and set up a permanent house on. Peltier is not the worst lake I have ever fished. Not GREAT mind you but not the worst either. I know of a lot of guys who have fished it over the years. Most guys I know prefer portables though because they are not stuck in one spot all winter long. They are NOT as pricey as they were when the came out too. Prices range from $99.00 for a one man "PAK SHAK" to around $600.00 for a "6 man Clam Sleeper" you can sleep in overnight if you want to.

Nonetheless, I think you would have trouble putting a permanent on Centerville because of access problems tothe lake. I may me wrong in this though. Check with the Anoka County Park. Rice Lake is more of a deep flooded slough. It is perhaps 3 or 4 feet deep. In my opinion your best bet would be Peltier for the reason I have listed. It had some nice Northerns, crappies, and the occasional decent size sunfish. I have not heard of anyone picking up any walleyes in Peletier for some years now. They may be still their just not as many or if they are getting them they are keeping quiet about it.

Another option for you might be to take a run up to Green, Chisago, or North and South Center lakes in the Chisago City, Lindstrom, Center City area.

The boat launch on Peltier is closed until next fall due to road construction.The only option on Peltier is off Old Mill Road. Or you may be able to get one on next to where the pier is. Either way a big permanent wouldn't be an option. A smaller one would be OK.