• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How Deep?

jeff042479

Assuming clarity isn't an issue, what is the effective depth of a spear? Does anybody fish over deeper water (20+) with a decoy half way down or something along those lines? I have been spearing about 12' but was wondering about trying different depths. Thoughts?

the deeper the water the less accuracy. early i like 6-8ft of water. later as ice gets thicker i look for 10ft, and seldom fish deeper.my opinion nords lurk in the weeds were there prey is.

I've speared quite a lot in deeper water. 16-18 ft and sometimes a bit more. I only did it if it was real clear and could see the bottom though. I have speared my biggest fish in deeper water. A northern can be brought up a ways with your decoy. Small ones will follow it right into the hole. Large ones will come up enough to spear. It also helps to have a straight throwing spear with some weight to it, and to be proficient with it. I really don't think accuracy suffers but water refracts light, and you need to figure that out to hit fish down a ways. Good luck.

Great topic.

I have always been in the 8-12 foot mark. Reason for this, is for accury. That is huge when it comes to spearing. I was on Twin last year, and i cut a hole in 19 fow, and i will never do it again. You have to remember that a spear is going to float a bit when it goes into the water. I would recommand that you stay somwhere around 8-12 feet, just because of the accury.

Depends on the lake and structure. My setup on the lake I spear on is 12' of very clear water on the edge of a sharp drop with to 40' feet within 75'. My brother's father in law insisted on and always speared over 20' of water. He always took nice fish that way. I just like seeing the bottom and having a good reference to go by. I don't think spearing over deep water is any less accurate because you will still only run your decoy as deep as your are comfortable throwing the spear. It will still be quite awhile before I an get to my favorite spot with the conditions on the lakes.

I like 6-20 feet of water.

But, my sucker usually always runs at 4-6 feet...no matter what the depth. So, the depth of the water doesn't matter. The northern will almost always come up to your decoy.