• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do many of the programs on cable add or detract from the sport?

Tom7227

The Flyway Highway is just about as disgusting as it gets. Just hope that the anti's...and even the ambivalent folks don't see this particular piece of crapola. And there are others-as mentioned. The guys who jump up and down fist pumping, who yell "kill 'em kill em" when birds are in the decoys...all of it.

But if you want to see something to make your blood boil read the in-depth story in Dakota Country magazine about the "guiding" operation the state and federal guys busted last fall.

Like Flyway Highway, it'll make ya wanna puke.

Other than that fellas, welcome to the New Year! grin.gif

I think these programs have done more harm than good. Look what it's done to gaining access on some lands. Not only that look what it's done to the cost for the average hunter.

Ask the average hunter in Wyoming what they think. Like a gentleman said earlier its all about the money. I think we all could shoot big bucks if we had a big fat checkbook.

Yep, Flyway Highway is the worst show I've seen so far. The director must be his 7 yr. old son because the dialog and "antics" on this show remind me of 2nd grade.

Ufatz, SnowmanX,

I apoligize if you feel I was endorsing the flyway Hiway. Is their production company part of the problem discussed earlier in this thread? Indeed they are!!! I made that comment, as ill advised as it may seem,because they made me chuckle when they were dressed in full camo playing hockey in Canada. This problem of programming may be generational. It seems that Today's newer hunters (not all and certainly not from the uppermidwest) grin.gif, want these large kills and think they need all these gadgets and gimicks. And as supply and demand goes... SHAZAM... Here we are. But hopefully as all bad programing tend to do it will weed itself out. You only need to check this site and their huge thread archives to find what you need!!

I guess I'm agreeing to disagree. I remember years ago when I was a kid I would be watching a show and see some guy bag a real nice deer and would run and get my dad, "dad, dad you gotta see this deer this guy shot". My old man just turned to me laughed and said, we could do that too, but we raise cattle instead. Never really watched many after that. Hunting growing up was all about spending time with my dad and my brothers. It was quality time together and kept us out of trouble. We were too worried about getting up early and reloading enough shells that we weren't out causing trouble. Sometimes we had table fare, sometimes we didn't and if you didn't eat venison, duck, fish etc. you didn't go, plain and simple. Now it's the same for me with my son. The things that we talk about while out hunting and fishing are golden. No where else do I get one on one time to talk with him, well about life. Children really need that in this day and age. I'm thankful for my outdoor heritage, and how my father taught me, and would rather my son learn from me that any of those so called experts on TV. OK I'm done......

After looking at all the posts I've decided that everyone who's written has to be over 50.

Maybe it is a generation thing. I read someplace that there are 4 stages of being a hunter. I don't remember them all that well, but I really think it's true.

First - shooting anything. Second - being more selective but hogging the game. Third - refined and into tactics and equipment. Fourth - don't care much about results, just being there is enough.

As I've spent time with various people over the years I have seen some that were 50 staying at the second stage, and some at 20 who were in the fourth. Nothing wrong with either - just the way it is.

That is OK when you're out in the field, but I think it's a whole different thing when it's on TV for the world to see. Not everyone who turns on those channels has a hunting or fishing license. I wonder if there's some sort of organization out there that is set up for video makers, and whether they talk about this sort of thing. Anyone know?

Not fifty yet. eek.gif

Just remember that the they are trying to sell something and keep hunting on your dime. \:\)

Location is the key to hunting success the majority of the time. Waterfowl on leased private land. $500 / day SD pheasant hunts (even wild?) and high fence deer hunts in MI, TX etc... How good are the hunters, how much do the products they are hawking really contribute to their success.

My Haydal DR call does just fine and I can replace for about $10 instead of dropping $150.

There is a reason MN hunters are fighting high fence hunting in this state. It is joke that these B&C deer get registered and I really question any B&C elk these days - like to see all elk registed with photcopy of state license and maybe registered in nearest town ... guides and outfitters fine ... let's just keep in fair chase.

I watched Eastman's the other day and it was a Elk bowhunt on public land in Wyoming. Basically the hunter and the camera man back packed up about 2 hours into the mountain and saw just a ton of elk. He ended up getting a nice on calling him in. But it was a rough hunt, sleeping in a little tent with no creature comforts, just water and food. Looked like something that anyone could do if you want to work a little. Shows like this i enjoy where joe hunter can actually do it without forking out 6 grand.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we all need to worry a little less about what the anti's think and concentrate on what we enjoy. I always used to enjoy seeing the bucks/does hanging from the car top or better yet the hood! My brothers and I would count them when going down the road during hunting season. Now the "experts" tell us we should hide this so we don't upset people.

Last I checked you only need to hide something when your doing something wrong. I enjoy hunting and killing my own meet and what society needs is a little exposure to the kills and death and cycle of life so they are not so shocked by it. I grew up plucking chickens and skinning our own hand raised hogs so it all seems natural to me. I make a point of raising a few chickens etc(even though I can buy them cooked at Walmart cheaper) just to give my kids the experience. My kids swing set doubles as the skinning pole.

When I grew up it was all about the meat, filling the freezer when Dad had 9 boys to feed. Now that were a little older, we still try to fill the meat quota, but we try to let the little bucks get bigger to. For the new kids, we let them take whatever they like and both killed 1.5 year old bucks this year. Here is a photo of my son with his 1st buck last year.

CalvinandKarlDoerrbucks2007010.jpg

I don't care what they are doing on Gettin Close with Lee and Tiffany. I'd watch her shoot a big buck or paint her finger nails!!! Doesn't matter what she's doing, I'm glued to the TV set.

Awesome show. Not just because of her though. The ones Ive seen they are having fun and enjoying being with hunters.

They have not gotten to the point of the Drury boys and the way they always get monsters. If they are not the faliest show Ive seen. No wonder so many guys think they have to get a trophy or nothing.

papabear, so you're saying you'd like it just the same if it was Gettin Close w/ Lee and Larry???

Come one!

Yeah I would. Most of the time shes wearing camo or parka so oh well. Lee can be a hoot at times and he doesnt appear to be too full of himslef yet,(with a wife like that who would blame him)

But then again the greatest fishing show ever has to be Fish on

Yeah tiffany adds to the show and she can hunt and fish.