• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coleman Lantern Problem

Roop-Dogg

Question

we have a coleman lantern. it is the pump up style with liquid gas. it lights and burns o.k. but when we try to shut it down, it will not shut off entirely. it will just continue to burn at a low level. its like the knob will not turn far enough to the right. it turns to the right horizontal (3:oo) position like it should but its just not enough to shut it off. we have been shutting it off by slowly opening the filler cap and releasing the presssure.

any thoughts or ideas on how to remedy this problem?? confused.gif

9 answers to this question

Hope ya get a answer!! I also got a new model 3 yrs ago used it twice in winter and quit usin it cause of that! still got the old one I use.the new is fine in summer cattin I just turn it off and after a good while it quits,but I dont have to pick up and leave then!

If your interested in the older one I do have another.email in my profile

It will burn out after the pressure is gone in the tank that is why letting the cap open is working for you. Just try shutting it down a little earlier. We use the powerhouse model at the deer shack. Best lantern for the buck.

Put a new generator in it.I had the very same problem with 2 lanterns so i replaced the generators.They both work great now.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As stated after you turn the gas off with the large round knob it takes time for the lantern to turn off, thats normal.

If it continues to run after a few minutes, thats not normal and fuel is getting by the main shut off(large round knob). You can then turn the small lever, that lever cleans the generator and it will restrict enough flow to complete the shutdown if need be. Remember when you start your lantern to pump it up, turn the large round knob on, ignite and rotate that lever till you hear the fuel coming out good.

Surface these new ones dont have that lever,just the off on knob,and I already replaced the generator it yet takes 10-15 min.to get to a low glow???

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a nickel tank Coleman thats older then I am and its still working.

I see, they have an "improved" design now. grin.gif

I'd have to say its the valve assemble. Contact Coleman and let them know that the lantern won't shut down without bleeding the pressure off through the filler cap. shocked.gif

I wont bleed the pressure off! and I dont think its a good idea! All the fumes while the mantel is glowing hot BOOM!! I had a friend burn to death in bout 1976 they assumed he opened the tank cap.My old ones work fine but there still spookie to me!! so I upgraded to the IMPROVED model???? Ha Ha tongue.gif

Yes don't loosen filler cap when lit,the flame will follow pressure right back thru cap. Don't ask me how I know

That's just the way it works...the vapors will burn out...the glowing will cool down...after all of that, before packing it away, release the pressure away from any other heat source that can ignite vapors.