• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LP Issues

CC Rocks

Last year I had trouble keeping my heater going because it was -35 degrees and the LP wouldn't flow. Does anybody have a good way to keep the tank warmer? I was thinking a heat tape but then I would have to run my generator all night. Not good.

You could throw a couple batteries in the house and run the heating coils off of them overnight and during the day off the generator. While the generator is on you could also charge the batteries.

I was running 20# tanks. I can't remember what BTU my heater is. I only have trouble when Red gets down to the 30-40 below mark.

one 30# tank would help. you need more pressure @ 30-40 below. I run 100# with 20,000btu heater, gas lights and oven no trouble at 42 below on lake of the woods in my wheel house

I know it's not very smart, but I have kept the tank inside the house when it gets real cold. Again you obviously don't want it anywhere near a heat source but it works well. Make sure it doesn't leak either. Otherwise you'll be burbot bait. shocked.gif

First make sure your tank is as full as possible whenever you will be fishing. LP wont vaporize when it reaches -44 and alot of this depends on tank volume. The fuller the tank the more the liquid boils and this keeps it from freezing. Second a good insulated blanket wrapped around the tank will keep the temp of the LP up and eliminate the wind factor. Last and still the easiest is dump boiling water on your tank. This will raise the temp of the LP ever so slightly but enough to get it boiling again.

Happy Fishing!

Hey rat i was implying you do this before you have any problems. I thought this was a site where people helped each other with fishing tips reports etc, not a site where people like to be a wise guy.

Relax Stewie, this is the Upper Red Lake forum, we really do have more fun here. wink.gif You will notice lots of wise cracking and ribbing in both directions all in good humor. Red lake is a different crowd then most lakes and you will see that on these pages loud and clear.

I thought it was funny, not as funny as the fellow that couldn't figure out how to flush the outhouse but funny.

"in the microwave"

same answer my grandsons came with laugh.gif

now I'm waiting for their solution for flushing an outhouse

Jon, you're a very strange person. I like you.

As for the thawing things out routine, we once had a fish house stove that needed the combustion chamber heated up before it would work. We warmed it useing a propane torch with one pound bottles. Once, well below zero, the torch wouldn't light so I had to put the bottle under my coat and shirt, against my stomach to warm it. Now that gets your attention really fast. shocked.gif

Speaking of LP issues, I've got one for you...

This past summer someone came through the storage yard my wheelhouse was located at and cut the lp line and walked away with my dual 2-stage reglator setup and both 30lb tanks. The part that really stings is I found out when I returned to chain them up! A day late -- $250 short.

I already picked up two new tanks, but I had to order the lp lines and assemblies on line from a sponsor. I hope everything arrives by Wednesday, cause I am heading up to URL on Thursday.

BTW Stewie, forgive River Rat...he is a bass fisherman. J/K River Rat, I know what Charlie got you for Christmas!

Maybe I will see some of you up there next week...that is if I get my lp lines. Heading up on Thursday and staying through Sunday or Monday.

hahhh I know to.... same thing I got that big dummie grin.gif You guys aren't making it up there, your crap aint gonna come and even if it does you'll mess it up blush.gif Im a little bitter yes tongue.gif