• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

which climber of these two?

bigbucks

I looked at the old threads, but didn't really see these two compared.

I want to buy a new climber. I want it to be light & quiet. It has to be a sit & climb & it has to have the climbing bar fold out of the way. From what I could find, there's really two choices: Lone Wolf Alpha? or the Summitt Razor SS? I think that's the name of the two.

The Summitt looks to have the same features & be about $100 less. What's the differences between the two that matter? I'm used to about every different type & size of stand, so it doesn't have to be perfect. I buy cheap hang ons so I can have more. I'm fairly tall & longer legged, but weigh about 220, so it's not like I need a super heavy duty one. If I'm going to spend another $100, it has to be for more than a name. I'm a bit monkey like, so swinging around at heights doesn't really bother me. (I know I'm opened myself up there, so go ahead, let me have it.)

ooh ooh aah aah.

In all seriousness I am glad you posted this because I have been kicking around the same idea. I have about 12 hang ons but have never used a climber....but I have some early and late season spots that would be better for sneak attacks... I am also close to your size, 6-2 #240 so need something like you. Hopefully someone will chime in here.

Lone Wolf. Bought mine this summer and love it. Quiet and light. Used it at Camp Ripley and walking the hills I didn't even know it was on my back. It has a bow holder too on the platform which is nice, but you have to buy the little rubber piece for like $10. Get the Lone Wolf

Both are great stands. I think the Lone Wolf is a little better when it comes to packing it in and out but I don't know if it is worth the extra $100.00 bucks.

The Lone Wolf seems to be a very light and quiet climber. When sitting in the stand and moving from a standing position to a sitting position, you will need to have a very quiet stand without any creeks or the deer will hear that and then leave the area.

I have seen some Summit brands where one needed to fill in the seems and other spots with insta foam to help them quiet down as they can be a little noisy. I dont know if the Summit model you are talking about will have this same problem or not.

This is just what I have seen or heard with a few Summits but they look to be a very good stand. If its noisy after you buy one, use the insta foam in a can and fill up the areas that may creek and you will be set to go.

I'm with Solocam, the LW packs nice, I own both and use my LW and the Summit hangs in the rafters, I think the Summit may be a tad more comfy, but the LW sets up nice, packs fast, and is ultra quite, after you hit it with a roll or two of hockey tape, but really your looking at the two top climbers in my humble opinion.

I have to agree that the Lone Wolf is a top notch product. I don't have a Summit climber, but I've always heard about the "summit clang" that Harvey talks about. I have the summit steps and they are just like that. The Lone Wolf uses aluminum instead of hollow steel so it is quieter and has less mass.

You don't necessarily need to buy the bow grommet for the holder. You can lay a bead of silicone on their for far less.

Get the Lone wolf.....it is an incredible stand. Quiet, light and comfortable. Every bowhunter NEEDS one of these. I used my cousins a couple times this year and was in awe!

Its worth the extra $100 and more but don't tell lone wolf that wink.gif

The lone wolf may be quieter and will be more expensive. The summit will be more comfortable and cheaper. If you want to sit for a long time you will like the summit. Many people have said the lone wolf sit and climb is quieter. I think the lone wolf stands are overpriced. Others say they are totally worth the money.

Quiet is very important while bow hunting. I have along with other hunting buddy's missed deer because of a noisy stand.

I dont mind if I miss a doe because of some noise but boy, when that buck you have been waiting for comes walking by, the last thing one wants is a creek in the stand to ruin the whole season.

I know that the Lone Wolf stand is not a cheap stand but it will help make sure that my equipment wont mess up the chance of a lifetime for me.

When I say the lone wolf may be quieter I am referring to walking through the woods with branches banging on the stand. It may be quieter with attaching to the tree as well. I don't think either one will make too much noise as far as creaking goes from moving around while up in the tree.

I have heard from many people the the sit and climb isn't the most comfortable and many actually put a Summit seat on the LW sit and climb to make it more comfortable.

However, Lone wolf makes me angry..Offering a 16 foot $580 dollar ladder stand? Come on now...I hate getting ripped off. I'm sure it is a nice stand though.

I have sat in both and the summit was way more comfortable for me at 6 feet 210 lbs. As far as noise in the tree they are both great. I need to find a cross between the two. I really like the climbing strap on the Lone Wolf and I like the comfort of the Summit. The Razor is a good choice of summit stands for a bowhunter versus the Viper as I gut shot a doe at ten yards when my old cam and a half bumped the bar on the viper although I was able to do some adjustments to clear the bar.

I have a Summit Viper and they are nice but "tingy" with branches hitting it when you go into the woods. Also its hard to adjust the cable when you are already twenty feet up in the tree and had to come all the way back down to take out another 3 inches. Not sure how the LW is but that was one of my major gripes about it. I'm on the fence about maybe selling it because I just don't use it anymore but have only kept it just incase I go to Ripley next year.

mr

I bought a Summit Goliath this year and it has been great. Very comfortable for long sits, and never made a noise once I was set in my spot on the tree.

Keep up the good info guys. I'm not sure you've made my decision for me yet, but maybe I know a few other things to consider.

I would think the Summitt Razor has to be quieter than my Gator Jaws. I don't know how to quiet that down. It seems like the platform itself is what squeaks, after the clanging of assembling it. I don't know of any deer it's cost me, but there certainly could be some I never saw. I'm thinking that will be used more as a stand to stay on what property or to just treat almost as a hanger where it's just dedicated to one tree for the bulk of the season or maybe one area. It also gets pretty uncomfortable for more than an hour or two.

Another nod for the LW Climber. I've had one for 3 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. Exceptionally quiet and light. Downside is the seat - not the most comfortable on the market but unless you plan on sitting all day you should be fine.

Quote:

However, Lone wolf makes me angry..Offering a 16 foot $580 dollar ladder stand? Come on now...I hate getting ripped off. I'm sure it is a nice stand though.

You're only getting ripped off if you bought one. blush.gifblush.gif

Back to the question-I have a LW hanger and a Summit climber. The Summit is easy to sit in all day, but this time of year, not the quietest. Lone Wolf requires a little extra padding in the ol' seat, but rock solid and not a sound.

I'll be buying a LW climber before next fall.

I'm not sure how LW can charge that much for a ladder stand since the design is quite basic. Who knows.....?

If you haven't actually touched and handled these stands, I would say you owe yourself to take a look at them and sit in them. I believe both are available at Cabelas. I was there last night and I know the LW was there and a couple summit's, but I'm not sure which ones. I think on the engineering standpoint the LW is fantastic. There are simple design features that the other companies don't have or are just starting to copy. WHen I see them I say, "now why doesn't every stand have that?"

The price is somewhat of a deterrent, but ones you've seen one and used one I think you'll find it worth it.

I will say that my stand is not always the most comfortable, but I can easily sit in my LW for 4-5hrs for sure. Longer than that and I will need to take a break or stand up for intervals. That would be my only complaint. A not perfect seat would not make me change my mind to a different stand.

One thing I have heard is that the summit stands do make some noise the colder it gets and I do know that cold does not affect the lone wolf alpha as we were just out the other day in -11 temps. Also I do not know what the summit is like to pack in but the LW Alpha is a treat! Light and comfortable. And as far as comfort goes I think the alpha is very comfortbale. If you are over 220lbs then I would not recommend it though as it is a bit slender. I am about 210 and I fit perfect. Anyone wider than me might have issues. Something to think about.

Never used a LW, but I have a summit and wouldn't trade if for anything. easy climb, packs in well and very comfy.