• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
SDbowhunter

Dog cut up around the eyes from pheasent hunting.

SDbowhunter

This last weekend we hammered the pheasents in the cattail sloughs. It also hammered our dogs around the eyes. My dog is cut up pretty good but my buddies dogs eyes were really bloody. Anybody got any tips or ideas on how to prevent and help heal this quickly so they can get back in the field quicker after a rough hunt?

JDM

About the only thing you can do is put antibiotic ointment on the affected areas, but not directly in the eyes.

gspman

You can get opthalmic ointment from the vet that you can put in the eyes.

SDbowhunter

As far as the antibiotic ointment I was worried he would rub in into his eyes since he has been scratching at the scabs. I'll have to look into the Opthalmic ointment.

duckbuster

He'll be fine just leave him be.

Every weekend after 36 hours of running thru the woods wide a@# open my dog can't open her eyes until Tuesday of the next week.

gspman

Sometimes dogs will get conjunctivitis (pink eye) which will make their eyes real goopy too. The ointment can help with that too. The best is to get the ointment and put it in before the hunt. I would talk to your vet about the uses of opthalmic ointment before doing anything though.

LovenLifeGuy

I was told to just rub a little vasoline around his eyes before the hunt and it seems to help a little. Either way nothing is stopping him from jumping in.

Good luck

deadfeathers

Happens to my lab almost every outing. One thing that I do that seems to really help is simply take a wash rag with hot water and rub his eyes for about 15 to 20 minutes. It gets alot of the dirt and whatever else is in his eyes out. Dog loves it too....

brittman

Part of the job description for cattail dogs. Some get it worse than others.

Vasolene can help a little if put along the sides of the eye before the hunt.

Gently rinse and wash the damaged and cut tissue with a clean paper towel or wash cloth. Keep an eye on the dog for possible infection.

Make sure the actual eye is not cut or scratched. Vet attention if it is.

fivebucks

My boy is just getting healed up from last weekend and now he has to go out and get cut up again this weekend. I'd feel sorry for him if he didn't love the hunt so much grin.gif