• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice,Snow and Slush?

Can anyone give a report on the ice conditions?How much snow and slush is on the ice,Should I bring my wheeler or my sled? Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Oh yea! I almost forgot,I want to try some of the smaller lakes around Winnie.

Currently we are seeing 7-8" of clear ice out in front of us. With minimal slush and about 10" of snow on top. We had groups out over the weekend on wheelers and were getting around ok without getting hung up on slush or snow. Just off of Tamarack point they were seeing 8-10" of clear ice. If you're hauling any sort of trailer with your fish house gear on it, your sled may be a better option vs. the wheeler. Also heard from a group that was on Little Ball Club and said they were finding 10+ inches of ice and similar snow and slush conditions as on Winnie.

You mentioned the ice "out front". Are wheelers driving over to the humps near Raven's for walleyes from your place or maybe the Birches yet?

Angling groups over the weekend seemed to be using the Birches access - maybe out about 1 mile or so. Not out to the humps yet. If Raven's is your destination you may want to try coming in from the west, not sure of the conditions over there though. We had a spearing group that used our access and stopped by to give me their "catch of the day" report. They did ok on the spearing on Winnie, but had some struggles with equipment breaking due to the extremely cold conditions. No fishing reports from the anglers, our lodge opens the 28th of December, so I'll start getting more reports at that time.

I stopped up there today to see you guys at Highbanks. nobody around. I'll email you to find a good time to come see you.

I went down to the birches access and I could see the traffic was using it quite regularily. I could see on setup out at least as far out as the humps.

I will try to get back up there friday to do some scouting.

Thanks for the reports Highbanks and Jigglestick. Now if I can get my sled put together I might be able to get out and catch a couple of walleyes or even a perch grin.gif

Hey phone guy--let's go fishing!! I'm off until the 26th. Just talked to Fred's. They are hitting the closer humps with wheelers, not yet traveling all the way across. I'm going to load up and head over today. If you want to go, call me on the land line. Otherwise, I'll post the results later tonight.

Jeff K.

Sorry that we missed you yesterday, we are in and out during our off season. Our lodge opens on December 28th. In the interim, you can reach us on the regular lodge phone # at 246-2560 or 800-365-2560 and we'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Happy Holidays!!

hello highbanks, congrats on the expected stork arriaval. hope to go out there new years weekend. does anyone spear along/near yuor shoreline with any luck? i may try one house spearing one house whatever bites.

Jeff I do not think I will be ready to go. I am waiting for parts for the sled which will come in thur or fri but the real job will be putting it back together this weekend but if for some strange reason things go smooth I will meet up with you on the lake.I am going to try and get up early on fri and get the parts in but it was such a pain to get out I just can not see this going smooth.I will call to get a update.

Thanks on the congrats wishes!! Occassionally we get groups that try spearing between us and the birches access in about 6' of water. Not sure what activity you'll have, but the clarity will be great, all sugar sand bottom. The other spot in our area to try would be off of Tamarack point. Stop by and say "hi" if you get a chance.

is tamarack point the point to the north of you? would tring somewhere between your place and the point worth a try.

That is correct, Tamarack Point is just 1/4 mile to the north of our access. It is directly opposite of Bowens Flats near the gap of Cutfoot. One thing to be aware of, is pressure ridges normally pop up off of Tamarack point as the season progresses. With the dam being wide open (where the Mississippi exits), ice thicknesses may vary as well and sometimes clarity isn't the best. Be sure to be cautious on early ice, especially in unfamiliar territory. You may want to try between us and the birches access (1/2 mile south of us). I've also heard some good spearing reports from the south west side where the Mississippi comes in to the lake. Good Luck!!!

HIGHBANKS, thanks for the info hope to get that way new years eve weekend to do some sort of fishing. hows the ice doing?

Hey Glenn57, I see you like to hit the String every now and again. How often do you get up there? I wouldn't mind running into someone from this site when I'm on the lake. Like to compare notes sometime. Ole

Man my computer is slooow today!

ole, my mom owns a cabin by spring lake so i get up there a fare amount. my next trip up should be new years weekend. mt wife isnt much of a bowstring fan but she tolerates going over there. we might fish it that wekend we might not. i always try to get there in march. we go off the access on cty road 35 i believe on the north end and fish in front of a blueish green house on the east side of the lake. maybe we can meet up when our trips line up. i work in ramsey on hwy 10 so im not real far from lio lakes either. good luck fishin.

Funny, I fish that edge of what i call the Horse shoe all the time when i'm up there. Also have done well straight out from the access in 25-30ft. Been up and down last 8yrs but is improving steady, nothing like the bonanza yrs 15-20yrs ago. Always nice to get up that way but travel on the String can be tough when you get snow on the ice and don't have a sled or wheeler. Seen many a trucks buried out there before! Good Luck, Ole

Current ice reports on the east side of the lake near us are coming in at 10-11" of clear ice. No slush, with 8-9 inches of snow on top. Walleyes have been hitting, some 12"er's and some larger keeper size. Travel with wheelers and sleds has been fairly easy. Extended weather forecast is indicating cold conditions continuing with light snow. Stop by on New Year's weekend if you're in the area!!

Thanks for the report Kim, the guys and I are doing a day trip Friday. If you're closed, what spots can we get to from the southern resorts? Do you have your access open with the honor box if we wanted to fish spots near your place?

Thanks in advance, Scott, John, and Jerry.

Hi Guys!! Sure you can use our access, there is no access fee until the 28th. After that the fee is $8. I'm not sure what the condition of the public access is at the Birches - that would be another option for you. If you're fishing the south side, you can try Denny's or Nodak's off of Highway 2. Good Luck fishin' - if you get a chance drop us a line with a fishing report. Thanks!

If you plan on using the Birches landing...make sure you have 4 wheel drive. If we get any more snow, it will be really difficult to get out of there. With that being said, there have been plenty of people parking there.

ole, you said you fished out in front of the access. which one.what type of fish species do you get? i kind of go over there with the whatever bites mentallity. the access on the north end i never see anyone really striaght out they seem to head towards the access on the northwest side by the resort. ive seen houses set up right in front of that acces.

I believe it's the public access on the NW side of the lake.

If you go straight out you should hit the bar. Lots of structure in the area and some of it is big so you really have to move around until you find the depth you want to fish. There are also some good spots out from Snug Harbor where the weed bed ends. As usual move till ya find em!

Good Luck, ole cool.gif