• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wilkins Lake

Anyone ever ice fish this lake? I am sort of thinking of trying it out some time when I get tired of fighting the crowds on BSL or Minnewawa. I used to hear it was a good panfish lake and held some Walleyes but beyond just "hearing about the lake I know nothing about it?

I would wait, the ice will not be good out there. this lake always freezes over late, so I guess all the snow fell on thin ice. I have fished it a couple times, but the water is so freakin' clear, I think it may be a night lake. ice houses will set up in the deep hole.

Knoppers: Yeah! From what I read the ice is not good yet! I don't mind taking a bath but over the years I have grown accustomed to HOT water. You know what I mean? The rest of you out there! THINK SAFE!!! No crummy crappie is worth making your wife a widow or your kids orphans! Fishing is supposed to be fun not dangerous! Better to wait a week and be sure! I would hate to read anyones name in the obituariy column. Tight lines, guys!

I was in that area this weekend.... well the last 884 weekends... or about 17 years worth. I don't recall seeing any vehicle traffic on wilkins in the winter. So I would wonder after all these years if there is a reason for not driving on.? I haven't except by snowmobile. I don't think the road to the lake is plowed.

I have fished the lake. From what Iv seen its not a big area out there to fish. It is a night lake though I know. The water is super clear. can be tough.

I was on Gun this weekend. The ice was in poor shape and it was near 20 below saturday and sunday morning. I was out but there is plenty of slush and no ice thickness improvment. 4 inches.

did any one hear about a guy going through on Big sandy saturday.?

Pierbridge reported after I had said....

On a side note there are guys begging to go swimming.

I saw a few sleds cruising the lake.

There was a guy on the main lake I think in 32 foot of water and he had drilled a hole .It was 5"thick so he moves out a bit further and drills a hole only to bust through.

He did get out ,but his auger is now structure.

Be carefull out there.This snow really messed that ice up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it happened and if not for a miracle we would have have had one DEAD snowmobiler on BSL.

We were just getting on the road to drive home Saturday evening right at dusk when we came across a volunteer Firefighter on the road he flagged us down and asked where the guy was in the Water we looked out into the middle of Billhorn Bay toward the south end and noticed 3 people spread out about 50 yards apart from each other and a guy in the water.

It seemed like forever but they got him out of the water using a rope as soon as he made it to shore we transported him back where we were staying and got him out of his cloths by that time the Ambulance arrived and they did tempature reading on him and it was 91 degrees so they decided to Air-lift "helicopter" him to Aikten hospital.

This guy is lucky its an absolute miracle that someone saw him go in on this part of the lake and had the courage and knowledge to get him out of the frigid water.

Like Keith said the Lakes are not safe for cross country ATV/Snowmobile travel yet.

-------------------------

Bobber Down went and put a leg in up to his hip on our morning trip.So be carefull out there.

Way to go PB & BD for taking care of that guy!!!!!

Crappie Todd! I may try Wilkins later in the year when their is more ice. At least for a couple of hours. I usually fish over toward Clear Lake at Glen or at Dam Lake. But the last year I have expanded my fishing repertoire (so to speak) and have started exploring some of the lakes over to the East and North or me. I have driven by Wilkins on the way home and always thought it looked like a good lake.

But I never see very many boats or shacks on it and have not fished it before. This year I thought, "What the heck, why not run over and try it for a few hours???" Anyway, if we don't get any better ice than we have had I won't even be fishing BSL this year. Like I said earlier, I don't mind taking a bath, but I am partial to "H-O-T" water! And no fishing trip is worth making my kids orphans! Anyway, Todd, thanks for the info. It looks like this lake is one that gets very little attention so there must be a good reason.