• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is wrong with people?

cw642

So as I was looking through some of the DNR's stats from previous seasons and found something that is really disturbing to me. It seems people who receive permits forget to purchase them. I don't remember any surplus permits being available for the zone I hunt yet %13 of the tags were not used. The way that breaks down on average out of the 40 tags per time period 5 were not used. I understand a few may have passed away but why steal the opportunity from a guy who would actually hunt. It is slightly better in some zones but the overall total is around %16.6. I guess this really chaps my (Contact Us Please) because it took me three years of points to finally get drawn last year then I saw this stat on the website. This is the fist year we have enough permits for archery, so nothing will keep me out of the woods this spring.

CW

I bet the number is the same for say bear and even anterless permits, not that peole are doing this on purpose but life things come up and people have to pass up on hunting.

The kicker is you have to apply for a tag 5-6 months before the season. Lots of things change in that amount of time. Sickness, injuries, personal matters. You have to believe that nobody would willingly pass on the hunt just cause they didn't feel like it.

It does stink, but I agree with MN, there's always gonna be a certain percentage of tags given out that just don't get used. Its like buying a tool or toy or new lure and you put it in your box and never use it. You're taking it away from someone, but its doubtful they are doing so intentionally.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yeah, my brother had one of those situations the first year he applied. Major life issues which he could not have predicted when he applied just happened to come up when his season came around. frown.gif

I had two shoulder surgries last year and was in a large brace for turkey season, I never bought my license. Sometimes things come up that weren't in the plans in December.

It's too bad a guy can't gift his license to someone else, but that opens up a whole can of worms of scamming the system, but in the right situation it would be nice.

Chris:

Part of the problem is that the application is only $3, but at the same time, that's the beauty of it.

I've seen the same stats and got a little hot under the collar myself. I think a possible solution is to require tags be purchased before the seasons starts. I hate another deadline, but it would give them time to redistribute the tags to folks that would use them. Hopefully, closer to the season, folks would know whether they'd use them or not. If they purchased them but didn't use them, the DNR wouldn't be out that additional revenue. If they didn't purchase them at all, they could be put into the surplus tag drawing.

Joel

I'm sure the DNR is aware that a certain percentage of tags aren't used. They probably issue a few more than they normally would because of it.

Not sure if it's much of a problem here, but I know there are some areas where "antis" purchase tags so that we don't get them. mad.gif

Why doesn't the DNR come up with some sort of plan like:

Turkey licenses need to be purchased two weeks before the season and if they are not purchased, have another "first-come first-served license sale?

I understand that things come up and would never blame anyone for not buying a license in these cases, but at least someone could use the license. I too have waited three years for one of the coveted tags (this year should be the year)

On the other hand, maybe DonBo is right, maybe the DNR takes this into consideration.

DL

As other have said, things come up. I had the issue last year of being drawn for the same weekend in both MN and WI. Since I had a family tradition of hunting in WI and that would have been my first year in MN, I chose WI. I do agree that a redistribution of the licenses would be a good plan.

One more factor, the "ANTI'S". They apply for many permits so we don't get them. Deer (doe permit's), Moose, Turkey etc.

Quote:

One more factor, the "ANTI'S". They apply for many permits so we don't get them. Deer (doe permit's), Moose, Turkey etc.

Never heard of that!

Boy if the anti's do that that is amazing. they just don't get it, if it wasn't for hunters we would not have huntable populations of turkey, deer and waterfowl, don't they realize that lic funds go to managaement and land purchuses? I am sure that they don't understand that aspect, I am sure that they are to busy yelling at you before you can get to that portion of a conversation!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Fresh from the NWTF newsletter...

Humane Society merging anti-hunting forces

By Bob Frye

TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR

Monday, December 31, 2007

The voice of America's anti-hunting forces is trying to become more powerful.

In what the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance is calling a "precisely-calculated effort," the Humane Society of the United States is attempting to consolidate all of the animal rights movement's political power under a single umbrella.

Humane Society director Wayne Pacelle reportedly told one publication that his organization may soon merge with at least three unnamed animal rights organizations.

"The HSUS is playing up a mainstream reputation in hopes of becoming the primary mouthpiece for the animal rights movement," said Bud Pidgeon, president of the Sportsmen's Alliance. "It is not difficult to convince a smaller group to unite with a multimillion dollar organization that will push its political agenda, be it to end hunting or eliminate animal research.

story continues below

"Sportsmen will no doubt see HSUS continue to grow in this way."

The Humane Society previously absorbed the Fund for Animals in 2005 and the Doris Day Animal League in 2006. It has 10.5 million members or supporters -- 3.1 million more than it had just five years ago.

The group has an annual budget of $112 million, some of which it used -- for the first time ever last year -- to back or oppose candidates for public office based on their animal-related voting history.

Young hunters

If there's some good news for hunters -- albeit mixed good news -- it's that they are getting a little boost from youngsters.

According to new data from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the ratio of hunters ages 6 to 15 has grown almost 4 percent since 2001. In that year, 10.9 percent of hunters were between 6 and 15 years old. In 2006, though, that had jumped to 11.3 percent.

That's significant because hunting was the only one of the three outdoor activities monitored by the Fish and Wildlife Service to show an increase in youth participation.

Twenty-three percent of fishermen were between the ages of 6 and 15 in 2001. In 2006, just 21.7 percent did. Likewise, the percentage of wildlife watchers ages 6 to 15 was 16 percent in 2001; in 2006, it fell to 14.4.

The reason those numbers are of mixed value from the hunting side is that participation among older people continues to decline. The number of hunters 16 and older declined by more than 3 percent, to 12.5 million, from 2001-06.

Sportsmen's groups are hopeful that new initiatives aimed at recruiting young hunters, like Pennsylvania's mentor hunting program, ultimately will offset those declines.

Benefits of wilderness

Designating more of the Allegheny National Forest as official "wilderness" would be good for Pennsylvania's economy, according to a new report.

According to "Allegheny National Forest Wilderness: Economic Benefits for Pennsylvania," wilderness supports economic opportunities, enhances property values and boosts recreation.

Adding to it in the Allegheny would not impact the Forest Service's ability to meet its timbering goals, either, says the report, which was done by The Wilderness Society and Friends of Allegheny Wilderness.

Friends of Allegheny Wilderness has proposed designating eight special areas totaling 54,460 acres in the forest for wilderness designation. Less than 2 percent of the Allegheny is currently listed as wilderness.

Nationwide, 18 percent of national forests are wilderness. In the East, 11 percent of forests bear that designation.

The complete report can be downloaded at www.pawild.org/pdfs/ANF_wilderness_economics.pdf.

Bob Frye can be reached at [email protected] or 724-838-5148.