• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

my parents live on the lake so i fish it guite a bit, does anyone else ever go out here? just wonderin

Thanks

The past couple winters I have been going there often. I haven't been there this year though. One of the posts on here said it is pretty slushy after the snow. But I suspect a lot of lakes are like that.

I live in cloquet, but i have never fished chub. Im planning on going out there this winter a few times. Hows the fishing in there for walleyes?

Its a regular spot for myself and my 5 yo son in both summer and winter. It helps that it has alot of sunnies and pike. He also likes to be able to see clear to the bottom and watch the little sunnies come in and try to grab the waxie, kinda like an aquarium!!

I've never caught a walleye in there, tho there are a few present. Crappies, sunnies, rock bass, perch, LM bass and pike make up our catch.

I was toying with the idea of putting a small permanent out there this year but will wait til next i think.

If you see a green Otter and a green indy trail, that is probably us.

i've only caught a couple eyes all where really small, but there are some really nice ones that some guys i know have caught...I fish a ton in the summer there. Mostly argeting pike lm bass an crappie...when you hit it right fishing can be good just like any other lake.

I live in Esko and winter fish Chub a few times each winter, never in the summer yet. I am usually after the Crappies, but have mangaged to catch a few Sunnies and even a walleye on a rare occasion.

Have you had any luck on the northerns with smelt? I tried using smelt on quick strike rigs for the first time yesterday on big lake and didnt get a flag the whole time. I was out for about 3 hours confused.gif. Next time im gonna bring some live bait to so i can do a side by side field test.

The only walleye I caught was about 3 years ago and was 27 inches. That was a beautiful healthy fish. It would have made a great mount if it was only 3 more inches.

Not alot caught on chub but there are alot of eyes in the lake. Just have to fish them a little different than you are used to fishing for eyes>>>later the load

Most of the northerns that I have caught have been on live bait, but i havnt caught anything over about 5/6#. A chub backhooked on a gem-n-eye or forage minnow under a bobber has caught the majority of ours. I know that there are a few nice sized nort's taken each year, mid teens.

Load, if I am thinking weeds for eye's, am I on the right track?

Gonna be a bit chilly to take Jr out this weekend, but it looks better next week. Am going to try and get out thursday AM and again on the weekend, will report what I find.

i've caught a few pretty nice 10+ pike on chub...i like to just toss a big old sucker on a tip up a couple feet under the ice. Ive used smelt, but havent caught a whole lot

Has anyone been out on chub recently? I was out on big lake today and yesterday fishing with tip ups, tried both smelt and fatheads and only had one flag in two days, and didnt land it. Last sunday i didnt get any either so im thinking about hitting chub next weekend.

VW,

I am planning to check out chub on thursday morning, I'll let ya know what I find as far as ice and snow/slush. I'll just be pulling out the Otter from the landing aways but I should be able to tell if they are getting around on wheelers or sleds.

Thanks for checking. grin.gif. Im mainly interested in the ice thickness and if the fish are biting there any better then they are on big.

I have a cabin on the lake and I went out last weekend and only 6" of ice, not what I personally feel comfortable with, although my barber who spears there said he had 8" the other day. I know where the fish are but I have to actually get out once to try and catch them, never even got out last year. I only fish for crappies in the winter, the walleyes (most of the time) are slow in the summer only slower in the winter. grin.gif

Vermillion-Sounds like fishing has been tough for you lately, what have you been using on your tip ups lately and what areas of Big have you been fishing?

Yeah it has so far... Ive been fishing out from my uncles house almost straight across the lake from the resort in about 10 feet of water. Ive also tried down toward the public access for a bit too. Ive had one tip up baited with a quickstrike rig and a smelt and one baited with a plain hook and a fathead. The only bite that i had was on the fathead. Im hitting chub tommorow afternoon and one of my buddies says he has a good spot to catch some pike so we will see how that goes. Scotty said that you have been getting some crappies?

VW,

Had a chance to check out Chub yesterday. Ran late on time so didnt have enough time to fish but drilled some holes. Found 10 inches of good ice, no slush, and lots of houses are out. I'll bet that there are over 50 permanent houses out. I didnt walk all the way down to the hole, but there were wheeler tracks all over, no trucks thank goodness. I am thinking that I'm gonna give it a try this weekend one day, not sure which. Good luck today!

I was out on chub today. Counted like 40 permanent houses or something like that. Last weekend there werent even 10 permanent houses on Big Lake. Now for the fishing. Got set up out there by about 1:15 pm and set two tip ups out , one with a quickstrike rig and a smelt and one with a plain hook and a fathead. About 1:40 or so had a nice bite on the smelt, it was running hard but got off before i was able to set the hook. Then about 2:30 one of my buddies got about a 21 inch pike on a tip up with a sucker. After that didnt get a bite for about 3 hours. Seems like they started biting about 4:30 or so again as i took my smelt off and tried a sucker on my quickstrike rig instead and had a hit on that about 4:40 or so but missed it. The next bite i had was on a rod with a plain hook and fathead, when the fish almost took the rod down the hole, i caught it in the hole and the fish still managed to get off the hook. Thats just the way my ice fishing season has gone so far this year confused.gif. I decided i had to stay out until i got a fish and about 5:15 after dark i finally got a nice 10.5 inch crappie on my plain hook and fathead set up. I dont even use a bobber on those rigs. It felt good to finally get a fish on the ice this year grin.gif . I think I will be on big this weekend and chub next week after some more crappies. Any other fmers out there today?

Anybody else going to be out on Chub later this week? I got a new fish house for christmas so im gonna go out there and give it a shot again in all the slush.

I don't know if there was a road plowed out there since the storm, there wasn't yesterday. I'm sure there was by now, but you never know being that Christmas probably kept the majority of people off the lake. I might try a little spearing, but don't know which day...

Im gonna give it a try tommorow i think. Im not that worried about there being a road plowed im just gonna walk out there and pull the house out. I dont think ill go very far from chub lake park because i dont feel like walking all the way across to that point through all that slush and stuff. Hopefully get into a few crappie. Are there any jumbos in Chub?

Vermilionwally,

If you see a white honda pilot and/or a green eskimo quick flip II fish house, stop by and say hello! I hope to be out finding crappies.

Did you make it out today Vermillion? Me and Scotty went out spearing closer to the landing (wasn't able to make it any farther on account of the slush). We didn't spear any, but saw 4 smaller pike and 2 decent bass.

Yeah i was out there from about 1:30 until 5 or so i started packing up when it got dark. The slush wasnt as bad as i expected, not as bad as it was on big on monday. However the snow was snow deep that i only made it a couple hundred yards from the landing before i set up because i couldnt drag my gear any further. If any other fmers were out there i was the one in the blue clam fish house probably 15o yards out from the access or so fishing just to the left of the spearhouses if you look out from the landing , almost right between the spear houses and that group in the middle. I was kinda in the middle of nowhere there. Didnt even get a bite the whole day confused.gif. It was kinda cool though because i saw a few small sunnies through my hole and watched what i thought was a crappie chase my minnow around but gave up without biting. I wish there was a snowmobiler out there to pull me off at the end, that walk was tiring with all that gear. Eatsleepfish, which spearhouse is yours? I dont think i saw you guys out there. Harv, sorry i didnt check the forum until now so i didnt see your post otherwise i wouldve stopped in to say hi. Whereabouts were you fishing, i think i might have seen a white honda pilot but im not sure if i saw your fishhouse or not? I will probably be back out on Chub tommorow or saturday or both grin.gif. Maybe i will see somebody out there then?

Can a guy make it across with a 4 wheeler or is it to slushy still? I was hoping to make it to the point on the west side.

Wally,

I was out on Chub from 7am to about 11am or so. Slush wasn't terrible...but when I moved the 2nd time out further after drilling my holes I was in water. ICK! although I was able to set my house up on a frozen snowmobile track so I was sitting off of water.

Went up by Cotton today...my gosh was I in slush. mad.gif UGH mad.gif I fished for a few hours and finally got sick of standing in total water so I drug the portable off and was home by 9 or so this morning.